3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Warning - Hoyt Satori bow  (Read 2610 times)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Warning - Hoyt Satori bow
« on: July 15, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
I'm in process of tuning a new Hoyt Satori recurve.  So far, I like the way it shoots, and look forward to using it for 3D shoots soon.  It has a removable plastic side plate for off the shelf shooting, with spacers to allow for centershot adjustment.  The removable side plate has threads cut into the plastic for attaching it to the riser with an allen screw inserted from the other side of the riser into a threaded stud that screws into the plastic side plate.  The threads in the plastic are very weak, and strip out with minimal tightening force, which is what happened to me the first time I tried to attach it to the bow.  I tried to glue in the stud that screws into the side plate with Super Glue, but that didn't hold either.  The Super Glue doesn't seem to adhere very well to either the metal stud or the plastic of the side plate, I don't know which.

I jimmied up a fix by attaching the side plate to the bow with double sided carpet tape like you would attach a stick-on flipper rest, so I could continue playing with it while I'm waiting for my replacement part.  I'll probably keep using the double sided carpet tape in addition to the screw when I get the replacement part, because I don't feel like the plate is securely fastened to the bow with the amount of force you can use without stripping the threads in the plastic side plate.  Hoyt should really make the side plate out of aluminum instead of plastic.  I wrote in to Hoyt and suggested this, but I would imagine it will be a while, if ever, before anything gets done about it.

In the mean time, if you get one of these, be careful when you're attaching the side plate.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Warning - Hoyt Satori bow
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 01:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, Dave. Man, that must be frustrating as all get-out to have to deal with that design flaw on a new bow. Sheesh!

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 03:36:00 PM »
I will have to ask my shooting buddy what he did. He has the 17" and 19" risers setup for off the shelf. If you missed on another post, his 17" riser matched to a pair of Hex 6.5 limbs is a real flat shooter. I was truly impressed.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 04:39:00 PM »
Dave, you could try communicating with Fred Eichler, he helped design the bow, and see if you get further with him, than with Hoyt. Don't know if he's on TG, but he IS on FB a lot.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »
Good idea, I'll see if I can find out his address.

In the mean time, it occurred to me that I should follow my own advice.  I have a friend who works aluminum, and I could ask him to make me an aluminum side plate.  As long as it's radiused, it doesn't need to be the exotic shape of Hoyt's plastic one.  In fact, I would prefer a simple rectangular shape because it would make it easier to cut out replacements for whatever I decide to use to cover it with.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 10:48:00 AM »
Mcdave, let us know your thoughts on this bow when you get a chance. I am really interested in a satori, but I have been holding off and waiting for more reports.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 08:35:00 PM »
Will do.  Give me a little time with it and I'll make a report.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
Thanks Dave. I think Jim Castro issued a "warning" about how easy it is to potentially strip it.  It's a great bow other that that.
Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »
Well, I've had a few weeks to warm up to the Satori, so I thought I'd make a preliminary report.

I bought my Satori from 3 Rivers, a sponsor, and they were typically responsive, with my order correct and on time.  Mine is 64" with a 21" riser.  It has the Hoyt traditional carbon X tour limbs, and the Jager Hoyt 3.0 grip.  I am using the Hoyt string that comes with it, which seems well made and fits perfectly (unlike some other strings I've gotten with new bows that don't, which seems to me like buying a new Porsche and having trouble closing the door: "Don't worry about that; just pull up on the doorknob a little as you swing it shut").  Mine is 40# @ 28", adjustable within a 5# range, which I haven't tried to do, as mine measured 40# out of the box, which is what I wanted.  Same with the tiller; mine was even tiller out of the box, so I left it alone.

The only trouble I had was the side plate, which I discussed above.  I received a replacement side plate and, after experimenting around and determining how many spacers to use, 2 in my case due to my skinny arrows, I tightened the side plate screw as much as I dared with a dab of locktight on the threads.  The replacement side plate came with the stud glued in.  Maybe this is Hoyt's fix; I don't know.  But if the replacement breaks down the road, I have a friend who will make me one out of aluminum, which is probably what Hoyt should have done in the first place.

I have shot both the stock limbs and the upgraded limbs, and I think the upgrade is worth the extra money.  At least it feels that way to me.  Of course, being ILF, the sky is the limit as far as what kind of limbs you want to get.

I'm still trying to love the Jager grip.  I started with the stock wood grip, which is very similar to a Black Widow stock grip, in other words, slim.  It felt fine to me, as I like BW grips.  I have never used a competition grip before.  Maybe they're not supposed to be comfortable.  I mean, a race car seat isn't supposed to be comfortable, and a racing bike seat is damn sure uncomfortable.  I guess they figure there is plenty of time to be comfortable while you're drinking beer after the race.  It's the same with this grip.  After the first week, it had worn a blister on my thumb bone at the vee of my thumb and forefinger.  I put the wood grip back on and shot it for a week while the blister healed.  When I put the Jager grip back on, I examined it very carefully to determine where I should put my hand so it would fit.  I was sorely tempted to grind off the part that gave me a blister.  But instead I put my hand in the one position it would fit somewhat comfortably, without pressing on the spot where I had had the blister.  I guess that's the point; on a competition grip, there is only supposed to be one place where you can hold it.  Whether that's the right place for ME to hold it or not is still an unanswered question.  I mean, we're talking millimeters difference here.  But I do shoot very well with this grip, but then I shoot very well with the stock grip too.

Which brings us to the bottom line.  I shoot this bow more accurately than any other bow I have ever shot.  There really isn't any question about this in my mind.  I've never claimed to have stacked arrows before, because I usually don't.  Usually, a good group for me is getting all the arrows in a 6" circle.  But with this bow, I stack arrows, not all the time, but often enough.  

I wouldn't hunt with this bow, even with heavier limbs.  It is too big, heavy and clunky for me to want to hunt with, and I darned sure wouldn't want the Jager grip poking me to remind me that it wasn't in exactly the right position.  Those same factors, however, together with the overall smoothness, are probably the reasons I'm more accurate with it, and it will surely get a workout this year at 3D tournaments.

I shoot Victory VAP 600 spine shafts cut to 29", with 110 grain glue in points, giving a total arrow weight of 286 grains, or 7.2 gpp.  Arrow speed is approx 192 fps.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
Thanks for the follow up. I was strongly considering a 17" riser with mediums to hunt with. Just not sure without shooting one. Sounds like you have a keeper.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
That would certainly be more of a hunting configuration than the one I bought.  And of course, big and clunky is subjective.  Almost all compound hunters carry bows that are heavier and clunkier than the Satori.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
Dave, my only complaint is the weight of the riser as well. I was shooting the 17" riser. The owner has Border Hex limbs on his. What's the expression "smokes an arrow"?
 I saw on another site where the owner took the factory grip and made scales from it for the grip. Much like you see on some newer wheel bows. For me who likes a low grip they look perfect.

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 06:49:00 AM »
If you don't mind me asking, why not just use a rest? The metal riser will force you into the classes that allow that anyway when you shoot 3d. I put a centerrest flipper arm on mine and I don't think I will ever go back. I plan on hunting with it on rainy days because I can use vanes more easily with the rest.

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 07:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by fireball31:
... The metal riser will force you into the classes that allow that anyway when you shoot 3d...
That's interesting.  I never heard of a "recurve" class that didn't allow metal risers.  Must be a local thing--maybe.

I'm always amazed at how we see and prefer things differently.  The weight of the Satori is more reason I bought it. The Satori weighs, 2.54 #'s and the Titan III weighs, 2.3 #'s and a Hoyt Horizon weighs in at 2.6 #'s. So... not far off the standard.

Oh... and btw... Yooper-Traveler, the name is Casto, not CastRo.  Man... I wish I had a dollar for every time that happened.      :)

You're right... I did a review of my 21" Satori on a couple forums.  I think I was the first customer to get one.  I noticed that flaw in the side plate right off.  I got a lefty riser about a month later and Hoyt had already corrected it (some).  You still need to be careful not to tighten it too much.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by fireball31:
If you don't mind me asking, why not just use a rest? The metal riser will force you into the classes that allow that anyway when you shoot 3d. I put a centerrest flipper arm on mine and I don't think I will ever go back. I plan on hunting with it on rainy days because I can use vanes more easily with the rest.
None of the tournaments I shoot in out here care if the riser is metal or not, but they don't allow elevated rests in the traditional class.  Besides, it says "Traditional" in big letters right on the bow.  That ought to take care of that    :D !
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
I also jumped on the Satori wagon. Have had it about 2 months. I got the 19" riser with reg hoyt med limbs, 40@28, so its about 45 at my draw.

End result is I love it. Been really tweeking the set up and once I got it there, it shoots great. For me the string that came with it was noisy. I tied one up and it is very quiet now. I never messed with tiller before and that made a world of difference for me. The physical weight is fine for me as I feel it adds stability on the shot. Selling a couple other bows now since I am really going to stick with this one for a while. Plus I like that I just don't care to baby it at all like I do some of my really nice wood bows.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
Interesting about the string.  Mine is noisy too, to the point that my shooting buddies complain about it.  Intellectually, I keep telling myself it shouldn't bother me, because it will strictly be a target bow, and if it bugs my shooting buddies, that's a plus, right      :)   ?  So I just used the strange little rubber ducky gizmo that came with it as a string silencer, and haven't tried anything different.

However, if using a different string would make a difference, maybe I should try that.  Then I could also make a comparison to see what effect that had, if any, on bow performance.  What kind of a new string did you put on it?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
Just plain old fast flight, 12 strand. Two wool puffs and good to go

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2017, 07:50:00 PM »
I'm using 22 strands of 8190 with CatWhiskers.  Uukha UX100 limbs and mine is literally, longbow quiet.  I can't believe it.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 08:56:00 AM »
I've never tried to make a string with so many strands.  I assume this is because the 8190 strands are thinner than other types of bow strings?  Any particular problems making a string with 22 strands other than you would have with 14 or 16?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©