3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow building supplies and advice  (Read 379 times)

Offline gatradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow building supplies and advice
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
This is my first post here but I've been shooting a tradbow for about 4 years. Up until now I've just bought arrows already cut and fletched. I'd like to get into building and tuning arrows from bare shafts. Any advice on specific equipment and brands that I would need to cut, fletch, glue inserts etc would be appreciated. Also, I'm currently shooting a Big Jim Thunderchild  54in 50#@28. My draw length is 25 inches so I estimate I'm actually pulling somewhere in the low 40 lb range. I'm currently shooting 520 grain total arrow weight but would like to get to around 650. Thanks for the help!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Arrow building supplies and advice
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
I'm assuming you're planning on shooting carbons.  All you need for them is an arrow cut off saw.  Can pick one up cheap at Harbor Freight. Will need some hot melt glue for the inserts and an alcohol burner and a fletching jig.  I recommend a Bitzenberger jig.

Why do you want such a heavy arrow?  520 is already 13 grains of arrow weight per pound of bow weight.  That yields a pretty good parabola when shooting. A 650 grain arrow will be more than 16 grains per pound of bow weight.  No way around it, that will be slower than molasses.  520 is great plenty for deer.

Offline gatradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
Thanks! Will take your advice on the arrow weight.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
Perhaps 500's cut to 26" 100 gr insert 250 gr tip. This would put you just under your desired weight and maybe not too weak. Noone knows the CHILD like Big Jim.

Offline northener

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
Bitzenberger jig,alcohol burner,q/tips,alcohol,hot melt glue,fletching tape and/or fletching glue,cut-off saw.

I use crest wraps and fleching tape, never a problem.

Big jims has gold tip blems shafts and i have heard his hot melt glue for inserts is great.
Intellectuals solve problem, geniuses prevent them

Offline gatradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
Thanks everyone for the help. On Big Jim's website there are several options for ordering the jig. I assume I will need the tool w/ rw clamp. Is that correct? Thanks again

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 09:58:00 AM »
Buy the fletching jig that corresponds to the feathers you want to shoot.  Meaning, if you want to shoot LW...you need a left wing jig/clamp.  If you want to shoot RW, you need a RW clamp.  The Bitzenberger is adjustable to be able to utilize RW, LW, or straight clamps.

Just be sure to use the correct feathers with whichever jig you choose.  If it's a RW clamp, it can only do RW feathers.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:56:00 AM »
ga: J.Cooi is correct. The one advantage to right wing feathers is that, because they spin the arrow clockwise, they tend to tighten screw in points when the arrow hits the target.

Left wing fletching spins the arrow counter clockwise and tends to unscrew screw in points when they hit the target. Just screwing the point on tight usually is sufficient to keep it from unscrewing.  And there are things one can do to stop the heads from unscrewing if they have a tendency to loosen, such as putting a little string wax on the threads, using a small rubber washer between the point and shaft, etc.

Left and right wing feathers are equally available, so which you go with is a personal choice.

Offline Bow Bender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 01:51:00 AM »
I always thought the rule was to use left wing feathers for a right handed shooter and right wing feathers for a left hand shooter, especially when setting them with an off set or a helical twist. Is there an advantage of one way or the other? Does it really matter which is used as long as they are all the same?
If I'd known that I would live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 08:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bow Bender:
I always thought the rule was to use left wing feathers for a right handed shooter and right wing feathers for a left hand shooter
Doesn't matter at all.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 09:48:00 AM »
The only recommendations I have for you is just keep it simple and be warned, arrow-smithing can be addictive! I started making aluminum arrows back in the early to mid 80's. It was just a hobbie for me at first then the next thing I know, I have 10 Blitzenburgers, Weston arrow saw, feathers of every color and size, nocks of every color, spine testers, Spin Rite crester, paints, dipping tubes, paint brushes, tapering tools for those woodies, fletching glue, hot melt glue, alcohol burner, denatured alcohol, footing gig, inserts, (brass and aluminum), woodyweights of assorted weights, sharpeners, arrow wraps, mouse pad for rolling wraps, eacto knife, arrow drying racks, etc., etc., etc.,. So how can I keep it simple in my quest for the perfect arrow recipe?? Hahahaha. My wife refers to me as a mad scientist when I'm down in my bow room building arrows.
 Read all you can and pay attention to those reviews on certain sites to help you with making a choice.
 Use denatured alcohol, not rubbing alcohol. Dry fit all your feathers prior to gluing. And take your time and dont forget to be afraid to try new things. As for buying my materials and equipment, I buy from Kustom King and 3 Rivers archery, mainly 3 Rivers because of the reviews.
 Best of luck my friend.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 06:31:00 PM »
I am like Zwickey, started about the same time. Got enough “stuff” to open a store.
 You got one of Big Jim’s bows why not call him up and tell him what you have in mind. Or better yet drive over and meet him. Not only will you get great service but you will have a great experience. But like said above you should have an idea, which wing, colors, weight, etc. Your budget is another consideration. Many folks here have good experience with the fletch tape and wraps on carbons and aluminums. That’s a good way to start IMO, no paints to buy, no dip tubes, no experimenting to see which glue works with which paints. That info can be gathered at other guys expense, you just follow along when you see a question like your OP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©