3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Broadheads & Back Quivers ??????  (Read 606 times)

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Broadheads & Back Quivers ??????
« on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
So those of you who use back quivers to hunt with, and use them for hunting, how do you keep the broadheads from rubbing and hitting each other.  I have found my Northern Mist long bows DO NOT like quivers on them.  Just curious since all I have ever used is a bow mounted quiver.
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline V I Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Broadheads & Back Quivers ??????
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »
cheap pair of leather gloves.  Cut the fingers off and you have instant, cheap broadhead sheaths that drop off with no resistance when you draw an arrow.
But be sure you live out the message and do not merely listen to it and so deceive yourself - James 1:22

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
I don't use a back quiver but if I did I'd fit a piece if foal in the bottom to protect the broadheads and quiver and help to keep the arrows quiet.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:45:00 PM »
Try the search feature. This has been discussed ad nauseum
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 08:08:00 PM »
I use leather covers for my broad heads, but I do not do spot and stalk very often. Mostly, I just use it to walk to my stand. On those times I do try to stalk through the woods, I try to move very carefully. Rattling arrows generally mean I'm moving too fast. However, when walking with uncovered heads, no matter how careful you are, I think you will spend a fair amount of time touching them up.
Sam

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 10:04:00 PM »
I have sheepskin like they use on saddles in the bottom of mine,fixes that problem.
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »
I have used what some of the old masters did, like Mr. Hill, Put oats in the bottom.  It works and keeps them from "rubbing" or moving around

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
I used to use oats, they work. When I started using a Safari Tuff quiver I found I did not need oats for rattling, but my arrows do get nicked up.

I made some little leather sheaths  for my broadheads.solves the problem.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
No issues if the quiver is made right.  It should gently mold to your back and that keeps the arrows from slapping around.  I simply put a piece of carpet in the bottom of my quiver and I'm good to go.  If you guys are having trouble keeping arrows quiet and heads from knocking around, you don't have a proper quiver is all.  I have never needed oats, foam, sheep skin, leather booties or any other additions for a well made quiver to work,  There are lots of them out there that are beautiful to look at but don't work well in the woods. Stiff quivers that won't flatten against your back will need lots of help.   :)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 01:43:00 PM »
I've read that Hill was pranking when he suggested the oats.

Gotta Wonder what happens when they get wet?
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
Breakfast is ready, Monterey.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 01:52:00 PM »
If the quiver is right and broken in, it is not much of a problem. I always feel that if I am moving so rowdy that my arrows a clanking, I am not hunting, I am hiking.  Even then, a slight reorganizing usually eliminates the problem. It seems logical to me that rounded heads like Deadheads can have more blade contacts than a head like a Hill or a Hunters Head in a back quiver.

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 02:51:00 PM »
It doesn't seem possible but I have never had a problem with my broadheads becoming dull in my backquiver.  I don't think they move around like you would think.

Online two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »
PM sent.  David Mitchel has it right!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 10:18:00 AM »
Hold several hunting arrows between your hands. Roll them around. As you can see, the cutting edges can't possibly contact each other.

It's a non issue.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »
If Greg PMed you he has the most solid advice. Like him and others a piece of carpet in the bottom should be all that is needed.
For me I've been toying with a back quiver for a few years now. Last year was supposed to be the year I gave it a honest try well I wussed out for my safari tuff and my bow,quiver. And even my cat quiver. Well, this is the year!! I have become so proficient and natural with it tha all my other quivers seem clutsey and cumbersome. So I'm going to give it an honest try!! Good luck too you!!

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 08:34:00 PM »
He definately had a lot of information and it all made sense to me.  I'm looking at all the different back quivers out there now, trying to narrow things down a bit.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
Hand full of dry pine needles.

Offline Missouri Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 07:09:00 AM »
I use scrap foam and push the arrows into works good for me

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 10:16:00 PM »
If you are using anything other than a well crafted conform to you body hill style quiver, you're missing the boat.

I have one crafted by Nate Steen and my arrows are secure even when I bend over. The back quiver which conforms to your back is the ticket. A piece of carpet in the bottom is all you need. I still touch my arrows up a bit from time to time, but not too often.
N/A

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©