3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Overwhelmed choosing an arrow....I need HELP!!!  (Read 677 times)

Offline AZ_Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Overwhelmed choosing an arrow....I need HELP!!!
« on: July 18, 2017, 12:01:00 AM »
I am completely overwhelmed by the large number of choices when it comes to arrows, and I need some help either validating that my choice is a good starting point or suggestions for correction.  

I am new to shooting trad, and I currently have a Maddog Follower Extreme longbow that is rated #46 at 31", and I am pulling to 30.5".  As near as I can measure the bow is cut to +3/32" of center.  My plan is to shoot a carbon arrow with a heavy 2-bladed broadhead, and to pursue turkey and deer.  From what I can tell a 500 at 32" with a 150 gr. head or a 400 at 32" with a 200 gr. head will be spined pretty close to what I need.

Am I close?  What brand arrow do you recommend?

Thanks all!

Re: Overwhelmed choosing an arrow....I need HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 12:54:00 AM »
Welcome Jesse!
Don't worry...it is not rocket science but you need to pay attention to the details!

MadDog bows are a good choice! Arrow brands really don't matter as far as spine requirements are concerned.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 12:58:00 AM »
I would try 400, if it's too stiff you can always add weight. I've shot gold tips for years and I've been very happy with them but there are some excellent shafting materials available.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 03:51:00 AM »
With that poundage, I think you are right on the .500 shafts. If you ever wanted to go with a heavier head you could start cutting them shorter,they stiffen up pretty quick when you make them shorter.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 01:47:00 PM »
I wouldn't go stiffer than a 500 shaft.  We tend to make this stuff too hard these days. I've been shooting bows since I was about 12 years old (73 now) and I get amused at how we try to make this stuff difficult.  Of course, back in the day we didn't have all of this variety that we have today which as my son says causes "option anxiety"   ;)
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 02:19:00 PM »
What Dave Mitchell says!!!!

Two things to keep in mind. First: there will ALWAYS be somebody that recommends something else.  Second: perfection is something you keep getting closer to, you do not attain.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 03:30:00 PM »
I think you have it pretty much figured out.  I'd opt for the .500s as well.  

Almost all the carbon brands are quite good nowadays.  Not terribly important which one you pick. When I began shooting carbons, I bought several of four or five different brands. They all performed well. I settled on one brand (Easton Axis), so I would need only one group/style/size components.  I selected the Axis shafts mainly for their skinniness and increased penetration, but on deer size critters, it really doesn't make any difference. Good luck.

Offline arlis.duhon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
You could try Lancaster archery .com and buy one shaft of each spine you want. they are the only place I've found that will sell individual shafts. you could then buy one shaft of different spines in the brand/line you want till you get the correct spine you need. then buy the rest of your arrows to fill your quiver.

Offline Fattony77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 09:18:00 PM »
Sounds like the other guys have all given good advice regarding the spine, etc. The only thing that I can add is that the GoldTip "Warrior" arrows are a good arrow for the money. No frills or fanciness, and significantly cheaper than most other shafts.

Offline DJ Hardy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »
Orion hit it on the head
I shoot some GT ultralights but a proper spine Axis is hard to beat and I am gravitating toward them more all the time
I have different view on the hit inserts and their instillation than the common way but that's my deal

Get some 500s and tune your them right and be happy
I like wood bows. They fit my style and mentally simple self

Timberpoint Kraken  68" 40@28
Timberpoint Icarus.   64" 40@28
Black Widow PSA.    58" 38@28

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »
Yeah, you are not going to need a .400 I have a similar draw length and shoot .400 off much heavier draw bows cut similarly. If you want a really tough arrow, check out the GT Traditional that is the skinny model, can't remember the model name right now. It's a kinetic with a wood grain wrap and stainless steel insert, tougher than nails.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline AZ_Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 11:06:00 AM »
Thanks for all of the help.  I'll stick with the lighter shafts (500) and fine tune from there.

Thanks again!

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
Please remember that there is no formula that will find you the exact correct arrow.  Everyone is built differently and have different styles of shooting that affect the arrow.  And, since you are relatively new to the world of trad shooting, you haven't even developed your own shot routine/sequence which will be unique to you and you only.  Right now, you are only trying to get an arrow shaft that is close to the correct stiffness. My advice is to not sweat the small details at this time.

Offline trasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2017, 08:33:00 AM »
Shooting 48#@31" with my Sasquatch SS.
500er and a 60grain insert with 145 blades fly like on a line.

My Buddy shoots also 48#@31" on a Black Douglas with Hex 6,5 limbs.
And he is shooting a 400er with 100gr Brasinserts and a 175 grain blade. They also fly like on a line.

I think to get absolutely sure and a perfect setup you have to try but you are clossly near the spine you need! :-)

All recommendations can always be a reference only.

I'm with creekwood, it also depends on several other parameters, which has noting to do with your Bow!
Trying to get the bow a part of me!

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
A test kit of a couple different spined arrows are priceless
and avoids the guessing.  I have a brand that is my "go to" but still have a few of each spine to test and find what a new bow likes or if I want to try a new broadhead/point weight.
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 09:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by AZ_Shooter:
I am completely overwhelmed by the large number of choices when it comes to arrows, and I need some help either validating that my choice is a good starting point or suggestions for correction.  

I am new to shooting trad, and I currently have a Maddog Follower Extreme longbow that is rated #46 at 31", and I am pulling to 30.5".  As near as I can measure the bow is cut to +3/32" of center.  My plan is to shoot a carbon arrow with a heavy 2-bladed broadhead, and to pursue turkey and deer.  From what I can tell a 500 at 32" with a 150 gr. head or a 400 at 32" with a 200 gr. head will be spined pretty close to what I need.

Am I close?  What brand arrow do you recommend?

Thanks all!
the arrow is most critical for its overall consistency, which will equate to consistent accuracy, and that means carbon shafting. the rest isn't as important as folks might think.  the broadhead needs to be cut-on-contact and as sharp as you can make it, which should literally shave hair.  i prefer cheap beman 500 shafts for my arrow builds, along with original wensel woodsman 3-blades.  i always use tape-on large feathers with a goodly helical.  i can vary the overall finished arrow weight by changing the screw-in adapter weight, or preload with either aluminum or brass ferrule weights.  whatever the foc is, don't be concerned, it'll be just fine.  i use these completed 29-1/2" arrows for bows with holding weights of 43 to 54 pounds.  the rest is up to me.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©