3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Bear Warf conversion  (Read 1768 times)

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Bear Warf conversion
« on: July 19, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
My last LH compound was a Black Bear that is a top candidate to turn into a recurve. Most of the WARF dialogue has been on another forum but there have been several references to them here. From what I have seen there are three ways to convert a Black Bear - have it machined to fit ILF limbs, get an ILF plate, or simply attach Samick Sage limbs. If you have one or have done the conversion which method was used and what was the outcome? Any pictures?

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Bear Warf conversion
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:18:00 PM »
I have never had one, but if it were me looking into this I would go the ILF route, machined or plate. Simply because your choice limbs would endless. Any type ILF limb could be used......wow what a selection.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
I had a machined one, they are awesome.  With a set of Sebastian Flute Elite+ limbs it shot as good or better than most customs and the stock Black Bear grip is actually pretty damn good.  Only downside is with Longs it ends up being a 64 or 66 inch bow if I remember.  So a bit on the longish side but it would absolutely kill for 3D.  All I had on mine was velcro and a furniture pad strike plate.

I'd go machined if possible.  Contact Sam Dunham over on TTalk.  The plates work fine too but to me machined is superior.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
I had a Proline riser that was "Warfed".  One suggestion I would make is avoid the short limbs.  Medium or longs.  It will be a longer bow, but worth it unless your draw length is really short.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
:coffee:
Longbows & Short Shots

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
I had one with the plates. Was done by Bob Gordon. Only mistake I made was having the bottom limb pocket weighted. Bow was to heavy for me to haul around all day. But the grip was the best I ever have had period. The shelf was radius like on today's recurve.

Sam does not Warf anymore. The new guy Loc Do in CA. does excellent work. He did a Rambo riser for me. Machined the ILF grooves and supplied new stainless steel limb bolts. He is also over on TT

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
Nek4me, I sent you a PM.

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 08:55:00 PM »
I won a Black Bear warf riser in a drawing a few months ago. It is my first ILF rig. It is machined to work with the fittings. As others have said, go with medium or long limbs. I went with shorts because I wanted it to be as short as possible...mistake. It made a 62" bow but it stacks pretty bad...feels like hitting a wall. It's also a little hefty in the mass weight department but I do love the grip on it. Need to get a set of longer limbs for it.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »
Got the PM. Thanks for the info Alan.

I'm drawing 26"on my current recurve so may need to go with short limbs. Just starting to think about it and will have to consider the application, cost, and future flexibility.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©