3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Just for fun, Are you ready to hunt?  (Read 790 times)

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
Just for fun, Are you ready to hunt?
« on: July 20, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
This might not really apply to die hard tree stand shooters, buy those of us that hunt open country in the west, or chase bulls in the timber, this might be a good little test. I went out to shoot today and thought I would see how I did at 30 yards. My goal was to put five arrows into the four ring of my target (6.25" diameter). I shot cold, no warmup. I've never gotten a warm up shot while hunting! I had three out of the  arrows in the four to start, I left them in the target and pulled the errant two. The next two shots were also in the four ring! I'm sure there are many that can put all five in there first try but I was fairly pleased with my performance today.

Offline danshao

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Just for fun, Are you ready to hunt?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
That's interesting. I plan on going hunting this year for the first time in Northern California also no treestands and I've been questioning my accuracy lately because I realize I might have to get more used to shots longer than 20 yards.

I will give this a try but one observation is after shooting some 30 yards, back to 20 yards for a while I'm more accurate than I usually am.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:08:00 AM »
Nah applies to everybody really. I usually shoot my cold shots at 25 yards, my max distance. Have a place wore out on my target that I guess would be 4 ring but really just defers lung area.

I am ready! Just waiting, shooting and dreaming! Not sure if reading tradgang makes the wait more tolerable or more excruciating???

Lol
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 08:08:00 AM »
I'd say I'm ready, finishing up the tune on my HH longbow and fletching a few 3555's but yea I'm ready.
 Thru my wife I've gotten a promising lead on some local elk . Going this weekend to meet the land owner.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 08:31:00 AM »
Nope; I was ill and it took a good while until they found out I have hemochromatosis. I've had a few blood draws now and I'm doing much better but It means I haven't been able to shoot so I'm just now getting out and getting my archery muscles back in shape. I'm glad I have some time yet before season opens. The teen I hunt with broke his arm and just got his cast off and they are thinking he is still going to need a screw so we both are not ready yet!
SWA Spyder

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
Congrats! Sounds like you're ready!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
Not yet. Summer heat slows down the number of arrows I shoot, so it will take a couple of weeks to tone up a bit more. Plus, I am now starting to check up on gear to make sure every thing is in good shape and ready to go. That is fairly easy, except for checking and/or relocating stands. Fortunately, a couple of weeks will do it. Come September, all will be in good order.
Sam

Online 8upbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
I am ready but have a lot of heat and humidity to get through before the season starts here. I shoot multiple sessions anywhere from 3-7 days a week and have been since going trad 2.5 years ago.
8upbowhunter
>>>————>

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »
" I've never gotten a warm up shot while hunting"

Why not?  When I go out I'm always shooting a blunt at something, leaf, flower, etc. and if I go up into a tree stand I pick out something to shoot before I settle down to wait.

I can't see any need to take my "first shot" at a game animal.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 02:05:00 PM »
Not while the heat indexes are 110.  Too hot to even shoot.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
Been flinging more arrows the past couple weeks.  Doing okay standing.  But I picked up a stadium seat & tried a few shots from a ground-seated position with the bow nearly horizontal.  Results weren't pretty.  Need to work on that 20-yard ground shot.  Season is already open on the coast but I'm waiting for the Sierras to open in another month.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline actionjackson22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
With working two jobs my two babies and buying a house I haven't shot at all but I'm glad I saw this post I'll start tomorrow and hopefully can hit something by October
Jesus saves!
Galaxy Ember longbow 60" 55#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#
PSE blackhawk 60" 45#

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
Somewhat. Im working on getting back to where i can walk better and my shooting is doing good. Big thing right now is that i need to locate some heavy broadheads(200-300 grains, just depends on which of my arrows i use)
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »
Set your bow out then go for a run, how ever far but far enough, end at your bow and pick it up and shoot without resting.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 02:03:00 PM »
I'm ready. I don't shoot as far as you, but at my max distance (20-25) I'm doing well right now. Next year will be a different story as I will be in CO unit 76 in September. Can't wait. May switch back to split for shooting farther shots then.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 04:24:00 PM »
I am waiting on the bow that I will be hunting with for the foreseeable future, but I would bet good money that I will be ready to go with in 50 shots with it when it comes.  I have not shot an arrow in two weeks, I have issues with high humidity and 90 degrees.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »
It's upper 90's and high humidity here, but opening few weeks are almost that bad, so I made the decision on what bow setup to shoot and shoot it almost every day and work on scouting and going through my gear , so yea I'm pretty much ready
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 06:16:00 PM »
It's 105 here today. I picked up my bow and shot for the first time in a month. Not too worried, a month ago at our annual bowhunter rendexvous I placed in the top 5 for a shootoff. Playing with some arrows this afternoon to get ready for my mule deer hunt.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 10:31:00 AM »
Yep.   I have a few new shafts to fletch up for fun, but my bow and current arrows are ready

"KNOW HOW-NEED CHANCE"
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©