3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fixed crawl nock height question  (Read 542 times)

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
Fixed crawl nock height question
« on: July 20, 2017, 08:10:00 PM »
My nock is one quarter above center and my arrow is hitting the shelf I think. Arrows are porpoiseing badly. What should my nock height be for fixed crawl and to correct these issues?.. thanks

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fixed crawl nock height question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »
Your nock height may be too low, which would explain the arrow bouncing off the shelf. I always begin by setting my nock height at 5/8" above. Then, I bare shaft tune my arrows at the distance I want to hunt. For me, that's 20 yards. Once I begin bare shaft tuning, my arrows flight, and their impact within the target, will tell me where my nock height should ultimately settle.

Offline jonwilson

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Backwoods Grind Coffee Company
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 09:01:00 PM »
longbow fanatic 1, good info. Thanks for that!

Don't mean to highjack the thread, but are your recommendations regardless of whether you are shooting fixed crawl or not?
Coffee for the outdoorsman:
  backwoodsgrind.com

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 03:30:00 AM »
Jon,

I use string walker for 3-d and target shooting and use fixed crawl for hunting, so I use this technique because the tune of my bow changes so much as I crawl the string. This technique will work for archers that shoot with their fingers against the arrow nock too. My arrow setup for my 3-d bow has a point-on of 60 yards. In string walking terminology, "point-on" occurs when my fingers are all the way up the string, against the nock, and when I put the tip of the arrow on the target, the arrow impacts there (If I do my job of course). That said, I would not try bare shaft tuning at 60 yards. I would simply shoot my arrows at 20 yards, or closer at first, and see where your bare shafts impact relative to your fletched shafts. If the archer is not string walking, the arrows which are tuned at 20 should be good at most reasonable hunting distance, IMO.

I would begin at 5/8". Shoot four bare shafts and four fletched arrows. If the bare shafts are right of the fletched shafts (weak for a RH archer), I would lower the brace height, change arrow tip weight or move the arrow away from the bows riser by building out the string plate from the bow riser to counteract the arrows weak response. Vise versa for stiff arrows. If the arrows are impacting high or low, simply adjust the nock up or down until the bare shaft arrows group with your fletched shafts.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 01:04:00 PM »
Ive begun running my nock height higher, almost an inch to bottom of top knot.  I do this for a closer point on.  The broadheads fly right w the field tips, indicating a tuned arrow ( bareshafting shows nock high-- but i focus on the broadheads).  Duane Martin has a good ytube video on the subject.  Imho you can get away with alot nock high, but too low of a nock can cause problems-- arrow bouncing off the shelf...

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
I too always start out at 5/8 and seldom come back down. that is for shooting split or 3 under. Have not tried the fixed crawl yet. RC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©