3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow similar to Assenheimer?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow similar to Assenheimer?
« on: July 21, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
My favorite recurve of all time is my Assenheimer phenolic master hunter. Nothing and I mean nothing I have tried draws as smooth and evenly as his limbs. I was shooting it last night and noticed that a sliver or two of glass was splintering on the edge of the bottom limb. I fixed it up with a little super glue and it seems fine now. But since this bow is 16 years old now I'm thinking I'm due for new recurve.

So my question is (mostly to Assenheimer owners I suppose) is there a bow that you can recommend that would have similar draw characteristics to my old faithful Master Hunter.

Thanks!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow similar to Assenheimer?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 01:12:00 PM »
Dale Dye would be very similar and as smooth. Or if you want a smooth drawing bow get a TallTines and drop weight 5 to 10 pounds because you'll likely get the same speed.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
Another vote for Tall Tines!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 03:40:00 PM »
Bob Lee recurves are really smooth.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
Ive never shot an assenheimer but my great northern shadow is exceptionally smooth compared to other bows ive shot. It is 55# and most of ny past bows have been 48-50# and i cannot tell a difference. They dont make the shadow anymore but the super ghost from my understandings is just the newer improved version.
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 04:40:00 PM »
I have owned 3 Assenheimers and can say they are the smoothest take down I have ever shot. It took me thousands of dollars in trying different bows to figure this out. That said, I have owned 3 Tall Tines recurves and they are very nice but much different that Don's design. Don's limb was based on the Jack Howard Game master Jet. I have been shooting a Tall Tines hybrid Longbow called a "Stickflinger" I find this to be as nice of a shooting bow as I have ever owned and much prefer the longbow to a recurve these days. My advice to you would be if you are hung up on the Assenheimer try and find a good used one... They pop up from time to time. My original one still hangs on the rack and will be handed down to my Oldest Son. I would sell off just about anything before I would let that bow get away. They are very very nice shooters. Good luck.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 07:04:00 PM »
I always thought the Assenheimer shot more like the bowyers from the Northwest.    Wes Wallace, Blacktail, Brackenbury...

Offline NW Jamie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »
I have had an Assenheimer for quite a while and it has always been my favorite bow. As you said it just pulls smooth and is very steady when shot. Now as the years go by it is to heavy for me, it pulls about 57# at 28" which is just more than I can comfortably handle. I am not sure what chance I would have in finding lighter limbs? Good luck with your search as I have not yet found another bow that feels equal to my Asenheimer.
Regard’s,
Jim

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©