3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many of you hunt deer with a string tracker?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
How many of you hunt deer with a string tracker?
« on: July 21, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »
I'm considering purchasing a string tracker. I'd like to buy the Drifter case by Chad Orde. Anyway, they're commonly use for turkey, but how many of you guys and gals hunt deer with them? Any issues/concerns to be aware of? How do you like them?

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many of you hunt deer with a string tracker?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
I use one for turkey and will be installing one on my granddaughters bow for deer hunting this fall. Anxious to see responses to your query.
   :campfire:
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 07:47:00 PM »
I have used them before.

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
I've killed a bunch of deer and pigs with a string tracker. It is an excellent tool, but will not make a recovery on a non lethal shot!  Sure can save the day on a lethal shot with a not so great blood trail though!

Bisch

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 11:21:00 PM »
I used one in my wheel bow days a bit.  Never much saw a use with a lethal hit, made the track faster and easier, but all blood trails were sufficient enough to lead to the animal on deer.

Would have like to have one for hogs, but have never hunted them from a staionary position.

Offline Meflyfisherman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »
Tried one back in the early 80's and was not impressed with the additional drop to the arrow so I technically never hunted with one.  I agree with biathlonman...you hit them good and you will have a good trail.  might take you 30-40 yards before the sign gets heavier but with a little woodsmanship you will find the animal.  String trackers wont overcome a non lethal hit.  my two bits
1969? 69" Bear Tamerlane
2016" 58" Bear Grizzly

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »
I am colorblind.  Whenever I hunt on my property alone I always use one.  At the distances I shoot it has no effect on flight but a huge effect on ease of recovery.  My woods are really thick and the tracker makes tracking a piece of cake.

Offline Steve Leffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2017, 08:43:00 AM »
BTW.  I use Chad's and love them.  High quality product.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2017, 11:53:00 AM »
I have used one of chad's trackers for two years on turkeys with great success. I really never considered using it on deer because the areas I hunt are so thick. Heavy brush can easily break the string. Deer are powerful critters.  

I might consider using one this season for early September. One of my spots is going to be heavy in tall light vegetation       (horse weeds, etc). It's so hot in early season the string will aid in a quicker recovery after dark. Most of the deer I kill in September are late in the afternoon.

Happy hunting!!

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »
"you hit them good and you will have a good trail" is not always the case. I have shot quite a few critters right thru the boiler room that left very poor blood trails. The Steing Tracker really, really, can be a big help in recovering those animals!

Like anything else you add to your bow, you always want to practice with it before trying to hunt with it. Also, if you don't pull out somebline from the center of a new spool, flight can be affected on the first couple shots. I always pull out enough line till there is a pencil sized hole in the middle that the line feeds out of.

Bisch

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2017, 03:52:00 PM »
Atrad hunter near here that liked hunting near the public marches had two deer bolt into the marsh when shot with four blade heads and not found went to a string tracker and Hunter's Heads. His thinking was if he could get a guaranteed pass through, the deer would not lose the tracking string as easily.  He got his pass through and the deer went down before it got to the marsh cover.  The positive point being that he should be able to use it again next year because he didn't lose much line on his first use of it.  I tried tehm one year, the orginal issue, I didn't like how it limted my shot distance and found that the string was affected by cross winds, which would require a more open shot than I often get.  We tested them and found that the side drift in a brisk side wind was enough on 25 yard shots to hang the string on closely passed brush.  I would suggest under 20 yard shots and watch the brush/wind clearances. Of course that eliminated that second arrow out of the quiver and onto the bow string advantage when one may miss on the first shot, but then no one, other than me, ever misses on their first shot.

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »
Where do you even get them?
The originals screwed into the stabilizer bushing, but my recurve does not have that.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 04:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wheels2:
The originals screwed into the stabilizer bushing, but my recurve does not have that.
https://www.driftertraditionalarchery.com

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wheels2:
https://www.driftertraditionalarchery.com/collections/hunting-gear/products/string-tracker

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 05:27:00 PM »
Bisch and some of you others that have had success on deer with string trackers would you address the noise factor. I tried one many years ago still have it. The string coming out made such a whirring noise I was afraid to use it and never did. Are the newer ones different? line size? Thanks.>>---> Ken

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »
It is definitely more noisy with the string tracker than without! I also believe that critters shot with the string tracker tend to go a little farther on average than without it. I have no proof, but believe they can feel that string, and it makes them go a little harder. I shoot almost all my deer at 15yds and under, and I have not had much trouble with the deer ducking the string at those close distances.

I truly believe the string trackers are lifesavers for turkeys, and won't go turkey hunting without it on my bow. For pigs, if I am night hunting (which is legal here in TX) I like the string tracker a lot. It really helps you get in the blood trail on a critter shot in he dark. For deer they can be a help, but aren't as important as with turkeys. I have not used my string tracker for deer in a couple years now.

Bisch

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
I've taken three deer with a tracker. The first would have been a long slow track without it (a good hit but almost zero trail). The second and third were both spine shots and no tracking needed!

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »
I killed ten deer last year and never wished I had a tracker on any of those trails. The two turkeys I killed were a different story. One of them flew and without the string it would have been a very challenging track job. I will never chase turkeys again without my tracker.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2017, 07:19:00 AM »
Great stuff here, guys. Thanks!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©