3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why I DO use Photo Bucket  (Read 1413 times)

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why I DO use Photo Bucket
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 11:26:00 PM »
I'm very computer illiterate.  It took me about 20 minutes to sign up for Imgur.  After Photo Bucket deleted all my photos on my stock bow page I reloaded and posted them with Imgur.  It took 15 minutes.   It was much faster to upload pictures to Imgur then Photobucket.  With photobucket I sometimes had to wait hours for pictures to upload, Imgur took seconds.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 11:34:00 PM »
So really, other than temporarily, the only way you can continue to use Photobucket is $39.99/month, which is actually more than $400/year, which is BS.  It would appear that the only long-term way forums such as Trad Gang can protect themselves would be to host their own photos, which I'm sure involves some extra cost.  But any other 3d party photo hosting service could end up doing the same thing as Photobucket down the road, leaving forums with the same problem.  I guess my original thought was right: just post words until this whole thing gets sorted out.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2017, 03:55:00 AM »
^^ yep, as McDave says, the lesson here is that anything can happen. no one expected PB to do what they did which means any other hosting site could do something unexpected too.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2017, 05:51:00 AM »
the cavalry is on the way to save the day.

trad gang is in the process of changing its forum software.  

*IF* we can accomplish this without too much blood loss, it'll take at least a few months.  our short term goal is october of this year.

the new forum software would/will allow you to easily upload images for posting here at trad gang - and SO much more.

the new forum software will function almost exactly as this old software, only with greatly enhanced functionality.  there will be no steep learning curve for posting or adding images right from your own computer, iphone, tablet, etc.    

the images will reside on the trad gang server, and be here for the life of this forum.

this is a very complicated and tricky move to both effect and accomplish, and has been attempted more than a few times over the last decade.  we think we now finally have the resources and smarts to make this happen.

this current conversion task testing started over a month ago and we've been working on it every day since.  it is not an easy row to hoe.  it also requires new hardware we need to purchase that includes a new server, new drives and triple our current system memory.

in the interim, posting images here at trad gang will require hosting your images elsewhere on the internet.  during this transition, please choose your image host vendor carefully and wisely.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2017, 06:30:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:  

This is great news!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2017, 06:46:00 AM »
:thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 06:49:00 AM »
"remember one great truth about "cloud services" - you will ALWAYS be at their mercy, whether paid or free."

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
removing the counter party risk sounds like the way to go rob. hats off to you for working behind the scenes to make it a possibility.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
From what I can see is that the first 10 gigs are free and then for more storage you have to pay? am I correct?
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 09:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mint:
From what I can see is that the first 10 gigs are free and then for more storage you have to pay? am I correct?
if yer talking about the bucket, you really need to directly inquire with them.  there have been a number of different p-bucket pay-to-play scenarios abounding, and some are just false.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
It sure sounds like Rob and Terry are moving Trad Gang in the right direction-- a direction that is best for the members. The effort and expense of doing so is pretty formidable.

I, for one, thank them for what they are doing for the good of all of the members and for the good  of our sport. The internet is an ever-changing and developing world-wide behemoth, and keeping up with it  is remarkably difficult. The P-bucket fiasco is just one example of a net-hosting service taking advantage by changing the game on customers. It won't be the last.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
I work in IT so I know how difficult of a task it is to switch from one system to another. It's even harder when it's not your full time job. I want to thank Rob, Terry, and everyone else who makes this site the best traditional archery site on the Internet. I'm been flinging arrows for going on 45 years now and have learned more about archery since I've been a member here than in all the years before that. Thanks again and good luck with the conversion.   :thumbsup:

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2017, 10:54:00 AM »
OK, got caught with egg on my face again. Sorry Rob, but as a paying member of PB, I had not seen any of the effects you were talking about. It appears my $15/year has bought me hosting privileges for the duration of my membership. At that point, exactly what you described will take place. Shame, because I really enjoyed using them.

My apologies.

Ron
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
no apologies needed or wanted, ron!  i just want everyone to know what the deal is with that outfit and their severe pitfalls to negotiate. what a mess.  it's hurt trad gang big time, and thousands of other web forums and blogs and social media sites.  i'll be SO relieved when (and *IF*!) trad gang can host images for posting in our own threads.  amen.

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
What photobucket is doing is extortion. "Give us your money, you don't want nothin bad happening to your photos do ya".

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2017, 11:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by SpikeMaster:
I work in IT so I know how difficult of a task it is to switch from one system to another. It's even harder when it's not your full time job. I want to thank Rob, Terry, and everyone else who makes this site the best traditional archery site on the Internet. I'm been flinging arrows for going on 45 years now and have learned more about archery since I've been a member here than in all the years before that. Thanks again and good luck with the conversion.    :thumbsup:  
Here here.  Best site going
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2017, 09:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by smokin joe:
It sure sounds like Rob and Terry are moving Trad Gang in the right direction-- a direction that is best for the members. The effort and expense of doing so is formidable.

I, for one, thank them for what they are doing for the good of all of the members and for the good  of our sport.  
Me too!

Think about it.  The dedication is non-stop.  Terry and Rob are both literally glued to this effort, every day...of every week...year after year.     :notworthy:    

I'm guessing that the expense of a major transition to new hardware that can support Trad Gang, Black Powder Gang, and have the capability of hosting all of our images and videos will be significant!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »
A few things I hate...Gnats , skeeters , Days over 100 degrees...photobucket. I have probably 300 pics on different sites that now cant be veiwed. I wont be paying them a dime. Thats no way to do business. RC

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
I have to say...I can't even think about it....I'm afraid to even go to some of the annual 'group hunt' threads and see the photos missing....what a shame...a crying shame.  Memories tossed aside by the photo mafia.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bowjunkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
I think I mentioned the in-house photo hosting a couple of months ago when Terry asked for suggestions regarding the upgrade... then this Pukebucket thing happened. What a coincidence. And what a relief. If the Pukebucket debacle helped you guys decide, thank you Pukebucket! lol

I will definitely spend more time here, especially in the Bowyer's Bench, once this becomes available. The 3rd party thing has always been an aggravation.

Thanks fellas.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©