3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Loctite super glue for fletching aluminum arrows  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Loctite super glue for fletching aluminum arrows
« on: July 29, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
Anyone ever use loctite super glue ultra control gel for fletching feathers on aluminum arrows? Thanks

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Loctite super glue for fletching aluminum arrows
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »
Don't know about feathers but used SG for vanes on my son's arrows. It was a locktite gel in bottle with blue cap. I guess they are OK cause he hasn't complained. My only complaint was the gel took to long compared to regular SG.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 03:25:00 PM »
I have used it for feathers on aluminum with no issues.

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »
All I use it the Locktite Ultra Gel. I remove it from the container that it is in. It turns out to be a small tube of glue inside that plastic, easier to apply and you can use it all.

Online Horsey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
Interesting.  How do you remove it from the plastic container?

Offline p1choco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
Pop the bottom off. It's really easy to see from there.
Patriotism is easy to understand in America; it means looking out for yourself by looking out for your country.

- Calvin Coolidge

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 10:43:00 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline T Lail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
Use it a lot with feathers on aluminum.....great results....gel gorilla glue is good too.
NCBA Life Member
Compton Member
Carolina Traditinal Archers
Bowhunter Education Instructor

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 02:29:00 PM »
I used to use the gel but find that I get the best results with Locktite Professional Liquid.  

To me the main difference is the "Professional Liquid" holds stronger than most industry specific fletching glues but can be applied extremely thin on the quill a little more evenly than the gel type glues.  As long as your fletching jig is set up properly you should have nearly full contact on the entire quill to the shaft so you don't really need any excess glue to fill the gaps so to speak.  With the gel type glues the glue beads were hard to keep consistent across the width of the quills for me leaving a heavy bead on one side and almost none on the other at times, this caused any excess along the edge of a quill to squeeze out the side when clamping it onto the shaft making for less clean glue lines along the quill.  However, with the "Professional Liquid," you get a super thin, super even glue line that spreads out more evenly from edge to edge across the quill because it's thinner and less viscous and it sets up in about 20-30 seconds.  

The 20-30 seconds of set time is just about the right amount of time for me to glue one fletch and then get a second feather clamped up in my second clamp.  I run one jig with two clamps and just kind of take my time through the process.  I'm not sure I could work significantly faster unless I had a lazy susan set up with 12 clamps and just whirled it around through a whole dozen at once.  However, that would cost a small fortune to set up and only be used every now and then, so I'm ok with my moderately efficient one Bitzenbarger jig with two clamp method.

1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
I have used it with tape, one drop in the middle and one on each end. I have not had a feather come loose yet since going with that combination.   But whether I use Gorilla gel or the Loctite gel, the bottle tip is plugged the next time I use it.  Better than the Super Glue where the entire bottle goes dry.

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback everyone! Greatly appreciated!

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 01:53:00 PM »
**Sorry -- saw the other post about them changing the formula.  Moderator may delete this post.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
You cannot get the "white tube" of Fletch tite anymore.  The Platinum does not stick to the aluminum arrows.  The fella from Goat Tuff thinks that Easton also changed the way they anodized the shaft maybe more silicon in the formula so there have been troubles getting certain glues to adhere.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 01:59:00 PM »
I am using this with vanes direct to aluminum shaft.  I think it would work with feathers also...

Longbows & Short Shots

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©