3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about your Wes Wallace Mentor bow?  (Read 4127 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Tell me about your Wes Wallace Mentor bow?
« on: July 29, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »
I'm interested to hear your opinions of the Wallace Mentor take-down recurve. How is the quality, craftsmanship, fit & finish? Do you like the medium grip, and is the bow quiet on the shot? I would also like to see pics, if you are able to post them.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me about your Wes Wallace Mentor bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 11:04:00 PM »
I have owned several Mentors. My son is currently shooting one and really likes it. They are great bows and the workmanship is top notch. The only thing I ever changed was the string. All of mine were really quiet with a ten ring string.

Wes is a really great guy!!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 07:37:00 AM »
Thanks, Richard. Those are beauties! BTW: What is that on the belly side of the upper and lower riser? Is that a recessed hole with a bolt going into the limb pocket from the back side?

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 09:36:00 AM »
longbow,
that is the insert for the limb bolt attachment, South uses the same system on Stalkers. It's just a different way of doing it vs the usual insert that's threaded into the wood from the front and hidden.  They have a brass finish so it looks quite tasteful.  

That question being addressed, I have owned one Royal and one Mentor so far.  My overall impression of Wes's work is that it is superb.  In fact of the makers Ive recently tried he is one I'm most likely to order a new bow from anytime in the near future if I wanted a 3pc recurve.  His build quality is top notch but feels different than a Blacktail or Stalker, it has an old world handmade feel that I can't quite describe, I guess what I'm saying is that with the newer Blacktail bows for example they are so well finished they almost seem like they belong in an art gallery not the back of a pickup truck (this is NOT criticism just admiration), VS Wes's bows to me you almost picture a guy with his sleeves rolled up listening to some John Denver, sweat pouring, sawdust everywhere and taking a quick break to sip on some suds, switching off the sander for a moment to listen to some yotes singing off in the valley LOL...and the end product is still gorgeous with fine attention to detail but feels as familiar as an old pair of your favorite boots.  
The grip shape is to die for.  Very similar to a Stalker, melts right into the hand.  Lots of mass weight.  Proportionally a large bow, my 64"er I marveled at how solid and durable it felt.  His limb tips are constructed bombproof.  This is not a fragile feeling bow in any sense.  The longbow is similar.  A dedicated hunting tool.  He picks some lovely woods.  The recurve limbs are thin and wide, tapering to a spear point, with long working fades, they remain stable and are not noodly.  VS a Schafer or Blacktail I did find the Wallace to be a bit more sensitive to sweet spot for brace height as far as quieting it down, but it wasn't a loud recurve.  I'd say it was similar to a Blacktail in this regard.  I most recently had a Schafer and to me the Schafer was marginally more quiet but it was also a 60" bow so who knows prolly not a fair matchup.   Anway, the Mentor was a pleasure to shoot and VERY smooth.  The Royal longbow was a real sleeper.  The trapped limbs where neat and it was quicker than it looked and very easy to shoot.  Bottom line Wes is a sure thing and he's one of the nicer guys to deal with and his wait time is reasonable also.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
Here's the beauty I sampled.  Tenring string of course.

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
He answered your question fully. LOL

Wes's bows are just plain awesome, but don't seem to get the attention they deserve. Wes is a really great guy to talk with and I highly recommend giving him a call. I have always wanted a one piece mentor!! So many bows I want, so little funds! LOL

Oh and I really like the way he checkers the grip.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2017, 04:27:00 PM »
Thanks, nineworlds and warden! I truly appreciate all the info. Nine- love your description of the difference between blacktail & wallace bows!    :biglaugh:

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2017, 08:04:00 PM »
I will add his customer service is the best as well. I have a Royal LB.  I would put it up against any other bow like it in design and materials. It likes, loves, wood arrows.
Wish Desert Dude would chime in. He has know Wes for many years and has owned a number of his recurves. I am sure he would agree with the others here. When and if I live long enough to need another LB it will be a Royal.

Offline Recurve7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
Brankenbury, Wes Wallace and Blacktail bows have always have always been most intriguing to me. I have been blessed to own all 3 with no disappointment! I still have a Wes Wallace Mentor with Bolivian Rosewood riser and Birdseye maple limbs that is absolutely stunning. It shoots as well as it looks! I do shoot the Blacktail mostly now as it has 52# limbs vs 57# on the mentor. I would be surprised if you wasn't satisfied with a Mentor!!!!

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2017, 08:38:00 PM »
I saw two guys shooting them at etar this weekend. One fellow shot with us and his Wallace was fast, he also has a 32" draw .I was vert impressed by them and I think they would be at the top of my list for a 3 pc recurve
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Online matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2017, 09:20:00 PM »
I Bought the Wes Wallace Stealth. 64 inches. I got the green riser and black limbs. It was a great bow. I got the checkered grip on mine. If I order another from Wes; I want get the checkering. I also paid extra for the bamboo. Wes Wallace is one fine guy; he is super cool to do business with. I promise you will not be disappointed. I wish I would not have sold mine; but you live and learn.
They are awesome.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 03:07:00 AM »
been shooting Wes's bows since the mid 90's  I was a dealer of his bows when I worked in the local archery shops.  drove up to see him the first part of this year   Wes is a true craftsmen and stands behind his work.   feel free to reach out if you have ant questions.... Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 03:08:00 AM »
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 06:25:00 AM »
I have a 1 piece 64" 48#28 (draw 29.5") and it will be my go to bow for many years I hope. Have had other bows by Wes and just keep coming back to them after many of the other top end bows. Has a checkered grip and although not as elegant as Shafer it is nice to have on sweaty days.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 12:19:00 PM »
I'll be darned if Wes doesn't have two lefties in stock both with some nice specs.  That could get a man in trouble.  Hehe.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
Great bows. Great guy. Love the mass of my mentor and it is very quick which I did not expect. Faster than my palmer
BD

Offline Woodpuppy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
nineworlds9, DO IT!

longbow fanatic 1, so.... do you have anything to share with the group? I see your sig line in another post is updated   :p
TBOF
Horse Creek Traditional Archery Club
TGMM Family of the Bow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 07:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Woodpuppy:
nineworlds9, DO IT!

longbow fanatic 1, so.... do you have anything to share with the group? I see your sig line in another post is updated     :p  
LOL. Yup. I just bought a used Mentor thanks to our TG member, Roger (zip). Cant wait to shoot it!

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
What's the specs on the new bow?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©