3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Last minute scouting advice  (Read 383 times)

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
Last minute scouting advice
« on: July 29, 2017, 11:16:00 PM »
I got access to 500 acres across the road from my house.  I know nothing about it other than what I have seen on google maps.  Now is the time to get out there and figure it out so I can leave the area alone til season opens.  What do you guys like to look for when doing your last scouting trip of the year before season?  The area is wooded with christmas tree fields at the north and south ends on either side of the ridge.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last minute scouting advice
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 11:30:00 PM »
Get a topo map and locate low ground and any ridges.  Sometimes you can get a feel for how to scout by looking at the terrain without vegetation. That might help pattern and as you work it, pencil in old rubs/scrapes/beds/oak stands and obvious runs.  Then lay out you normalwind patterns.  Gives you a good idea. Of course slipping in carefully and actually seeing deer is better
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Last minute scouting advice
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 11:38:00 PM »
I'm always trying to identify the preferred food source. Early in the season I look for staging areas between bedding and food sources. Avoid crowding bedding areas early. Tactics are ever changing the closer the rut gets. Good luck this year >>--->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©