3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Warning About Hip Quivers...  (Read 826 times)

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
Warning About Hip Quivers...
« on: July 31, 2017, 04:46:00 PM »
I had a little accident this weekend at ETAR that I wanted to share with you all.  I was shooting the 9 mile creek course with my daughters when I slipped and fell (backwards) while walking down a steep embankment.  When I fell, the hip quiver I was wearing swung forward so that the arrows were all vertical/perpendicular to the ground.  As I hit the ground my face came down right on top of the quiver, which was full of arrows.  It all happened so fast and I wasn't sure exactly what had happened. At first I thought I broke my nose, but while I was trying to stop the bleeding, I realized that one of the nocks had sliced the right side of my nose all the way through to the nostril!  It took a few minutes to get my head around what had just happened, but two things became crystal clear: 1) the great day that I was having - shooting stickbows with my kids - was over and 2) I was one lucky dude… it could easily have been my eye, instead of my nose!

Anyway, I just wanted to share this as a public safety announcement, and offer my opinion that because BOTH ends of the arrow can inflict damage, hip quivers are NOT a safe or secure way of transporting arrows over uneven ground.  Here’s the proof.. three hours in the ER and a few stitches later:

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Warning About Hip Quivers...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, NR. Glad it wasn't worse.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 05:01:00 PM »
You are definitely one lucky Dude! Thanks for sharing.

Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Jim Brennen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
Wow, Im glad your alright and it wasn't worse.
62" toelke whip 55#@28" 56" thunderchild 49#@28 54" shrew classic hunter 50#@28

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »
Boy, that is some condemnation.  As an avid hip-style quiver user, for 3-plus decades, I think it's certainly overblown.   Freak accidents can happen to us with any quiver.  Arrows are sharp and dangerous.   Rather than condemn all hip quivers, perhaps a message of being safe and careful while doing ANYTHING carrying arrows is a better idea.  

Sorry about your accident....but I can envision freak style accidents happening with bow quivers as well....but won't condemn them.   Just be careful out there.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 06:03:00 PM »
OMG!  :eek:  Glad it was not your eye... I also found some muddy inclines slick as ice and took baby steps using my bow tip as a walking stick...

Other than that, it was a great time...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 06:35:00 PM »
Glad it was not any worse, and that you are OK!

Bisch

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 07:19:00 PM »
Sorry for your pain but can't visualize this. My hip quivers are of the holster type. I make my own and my pattern makes a deeper quiver. Arrows point to rear. Got a picture of the quiver?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 07:23:00 PM »
Five years from now I'll bet it becomes a dueling scar from your days at Heidelberg   :p
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 07:34:00 PM »
I had a similar accident with a side quiver. I slipped at a 3D event and fell backwards and an arrow nock cut into my eyebrow to the bone. One inch lower and no eye.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline Woodpuppy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by longbow fanatic 1:
Thanks for the info, NR. Glad it wasn't worse.
longbow fanatic 1, I see a Wes Wallace made it into your sig line since yesterday!

NittanyRider, I'm glad your injury wasn't a lot worse. I have young archers, and for this reason don't use a hip or side quiver with low angled arrows at all; they're right at kid eye level, so I use a back pocket quiver.
TBOF
Horse Creek Traditional Archery Club
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2017, 07:40:00 PM »
Glad you are OK and it wasn't any thing more serious.
     I have been using hip Quivers for hunting and targets for many years, never had a problem including many mountain hunts.
     Stuff happens, arrows are pointy on both ends.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2017, 08:22:00 PM »
Sorry you got hurt. Arrows can be dangerous, in or out of any quiver.  I had a near miss 100 or so years ago with a Quickie Quiver.  We all need to be vigilant cause things happen.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »
Wow ChuckC you must the oldest stick bow shooter on here or anywhere. :-)

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 09:37:00 PM »
James and nittany
Just curious.......were your arrows forward or rear facing?

For 3D I used a hip quiver that was with arrows forward for convenience. I don't do much 3D anymore, but still use a hip for hunting. For hunting, my arrows point back.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2017, 09:38:00 PM »
Me no likey side quivers.

Offline Shadowhnter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
Glad you are ok. I think it's one of them things where its mainly only important and real to the person it happened to.
One time I was welding and a good sized red hot ball came inside my helmet, bounced around a second and then went straight into my ear canal. Talk about pain! I wouldn't weld without ear plugs in for years and years afterwards while everyone around me scoffed because of the low chances of it happening. I vividly remember how bad it was though, and I'm certainly not willing to chance that again. I'm sure you feel the same way.

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
Yow! Glad you are OK and without serious permanent injury! I've had a few near-falls on mud and slippery grass with a quiver full of arrows, thanks for bringing the potential hazards to my attention!
Aim small,miss small

Offline NittanyRider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments, guys, I appreciate the concern!

I'm totally fine, and I didn't post this for any purpose other than an FYI.  I probably should have qualified that the quiver I was using only has one contact point with my belt, so if/when you do fall, the quiver is free to rotate around that single point of contact.  My "fall" was the most basic type… walking down a steep slope, my right foot slid out from underneath me and before I could do anything about it I was on my butt.  My head didn't have to go far because when I landed, the bottom of the quiver was pressed against the ground and the nock end of arrows were 30" above that.  Not saying this would happen every time (or even most of the time) with a single contact hip quiver, but I'm almost 100% positive that this wouldn't have happened if my arrows were in a back or bow quiver... and that's what I'll be using for now on.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 02:48:00 AM »
My arrows were pointing forward and I still use the same quiver for 3D. I am very careful going downhill when it is muddy. For hunting I use a bow mounted quiver.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©