3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How come there are no hunting shows for trad?  (Read 696 times)

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
How come there are no hunting shows for trad?
« on: July 31, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
What's the deal, just not popular enough or something?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How come there are no hunting shows for trad?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
Not enough advertising revenue to make it work.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 09:07:00 PM »
No sponsors
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
I kinda miss Tred Barta, it was the hard way the Barta way. He was a pretty entertaining fella. It's a real bummer that he had a stroke. I believe that's what happened to him. He was fun to watch.

Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
Not enough money.  With the exception of Hoyt and Widow not sure if any trades bow companies can afford the advertising dollars and neither of those two likely need to tie up 20K in advertising.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 07:36:00 AM »
Clay Hayes does an excellent job producing some traditional bowhunting shows. Look him up on YouTube and he has a website "Twisted Stave".
<><
<-----------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline actionjackson22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
Plus trad only shows have a hard time harvesting a animal every week. You will see guys using trad bows on mainstream shows every once in a while like Fred Eichler and Arron Synider so that's who I watch. With Fred my favorite part is he will shoot just about anything and be happy with a dinky buck you don't see that much on TV anymore.
Jesus saves!
Galaxy Ember longbow 60" 55#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#
PSE blackhawk 60" 45#

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 09:56:00 AM »
Old School Outdoors (I think that's the right name)shows some hunting with stickbows. They hunt with firearms too, but if they are bowhunting it is usually with traditional bows.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
It would be nice to have some trad shows but no sponsors no money equals no shows.I remember back when Buckmasters was on TV,more then have the show was advertising.There was only 5-10 minuties of actual hunting in a 1/2 hour show.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 10:54:00 AM »
Yep, it's all about the $$$. I'm fine without any myself; haven't watched any in a long time.
SWA Spyder

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 12:04:00 PM »
To be honest there are alot of Trad focused youtube channels which upload in 1080HD and offer some very good footage.  

I actually would prefer that there not be a trad only focused outdoor production of the likes that's on TV now...that's not what trad archery needs.  

I already have a problem with TradGeeks and the like pushing sponsors down my throat.  The photography and footage and page content was and IS excellent.  Now it's #SPONSOR #SPONSOR #SPONSOR #MAKEMEPUKE...It's the exact type of crap that drove me away from watching outdoor video production in the first place.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 01:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by gvdocholiday:
To be honest there are alot of Trad focused youtube channels which upload in 1080HD and offer some very good footage.  

I actually would prefer that there not be a trad only focused outdoor production of the likes that's on TV now...that's not what trad archery needs.  

I already have a problem with TradGeeks and the like pushing sponsors down my throat.  The photography and footage and page content was and IS excellent.  Now it's #SPONSOR #SPONSOR #SPONSOR #MAKEMEPUKE...It's the exact type of crap that drove me away from watching outdoor video production in the first place.
Agreed.  Youtube has plenty.  And I'm no fan of the "hook & bullet" press either.

Among the shooting sports, traditional archery is among the least gear-intensive and, therefore, lacks sponsorship.  For whatever reason, any sport that encourages skill over tech gets passed over by most people.  Past the entry-level bow at about $200, you can't buy yourself into being a better shot with a traditional bow.  Hard work, coaching & practice are just harder to sell.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
Also it's more difficult to kill a deer with a trad bow. Most of those guys kill deer last 30 yards and it's tough to do that with a trad bow. Plus get it on video? Next to impossible.
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
Because most trad guys refuse to yell Smoked Him!!
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 10:23:00 PM »
The first few seasons of Easton Bowhuntung Fred shot nothing but trad and he shot a Palmer recurve it wasn't until Hoyt jumped on board after merging with Easton. That he started shooting the Hoyt Dorado and Hoyt compounds on the show.Then his Buffalo and now Satori that he helped engineer.
Personally I like the  early seasons when he used his Palmer. Nothing against Hoyt but the show was just so original and actually the episode where he shoots his first grizzly Bear is what inspired me to go trad. His show has gotten to comercialized just like the rest of them.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
Agree there's lots of trad hunting on youtube to make up for no tv shows. One I enjoy is Captain Bowman from Australia. Hunts from the ground in camo and takes clear quality, self-filmed video that makes you feel like your right beside him at the shot and following up the trail. Animals are exotics of course since pretty much all but kangaroo, platypus, koala and crocs are exotics down there. Hunts appear to be on wild lands with genuine enthusiasm and for a variety of game with absolutely no sponsors or promoting of anything.

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by jt85:
Because most trad guys refuse to yell Smoked Him!!
So true...

Offline TradBowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 05:05:00 PM »
because no one would watch it hence no advertising. there is no bias out there when it comes to money. if someone can make money they would put it on TV. just think of the stupid reality shows if you don't believe this.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
Sponsors and cash would be a big issue as the typical season show takes $250+K to produce.  But lets be honest too; I suspect that actual harvest success per hour invested with Trad just takes a far bigger investment.  I would suspect it would take a lot of work to fill a season of shows (assuming you want actual harvest footage) consistently.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
There is a Facebook page that just started for trad hunters to share their hunts, called The Trad Brotherhood.  There are already some good vids there, hopefully itll gain some headway.  

Captain Bowman in Australia is awesome.  I like the one where he sneaks up on a sleeping fox and shoots it from about 10 feet.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©