3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bows at ETAR  (Read 983 times)

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bows at ETAR
« on: August 01, 2017, 09:47:00 AM »
Just got home from ETAR, had a awesome time, one thing I noticed was more people shooting bows with metal risers, ILF limbs, stabilizers, and elevated rests and plunger buttons, I'm fine with it, I'll stick to my modern longbow, but is this the future of traditional archery or just a fade.

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bows at ETAR
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 11:44:00 AM »
I too noticed what seems to be a trend. Seems to be many "divisions" within the trad community. To each his own. I like the simplicity of stick and string, but shoot a custom made with modern materials. I really respect the self bow guys, but just don't have the time and drive to join them.

Blessings!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 12:37:00 PM »
I've noticed that also... Maybe because Traditional Archers are only 5%-10% of the archers in this country, something (new) is needed to keep it interesting and keep the money flowing...  :dunno:  ...

Just my two cents worth...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 01:35:00 PM »
Don't worry postman,
it's a niche within a niche.  Most folks still prefer the warmth and timelessness of pretty wood hehe.  My brother and I are 'new breed', I'm 35 he's 30, and we will always prefer a handbuilt stickbow over metal.  I know we're not alone.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline 3_dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 04:44:00 PM »
I've been here a while, but haven't posted in a LONG time (like years). So hello to everybody again!! I saw this and thought I could give my two cents:)

I like the feel of wood. I currently have a recurve that I built myself. I had selfbow and a longbow that I sold to make the recurve. But I also don't have the money for lots of different bows since I'm a college student. So, I recently got a hoyt satori. I like the concept of being able to try different limbs, different weights and lengths of the ILF without having to fork out money for a new bow each time while keeping the grip the same. And the indestructability of metal is a plus factor since I want it to last a long time. Hope that all makes sense...

BUT, I do like wood and understand the concern postman. I do think it will stay, but I don't imagine it ever taking over the feel of wood in the hand with the wooden bows.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 07:37:00 PM »
Postman, none of the things you mentioned are "new" except the ILF limbs and that is just a means of mounting limbs.  I have been in archery since long before compounds and metal risers, sights, stabilizers, plunger buttons and elevated rests were quite common. Many of the older recurves you see still have the holes that were drilled for sights. May just be those aspects of historic archery are making a come back. Like they say, "what goes around comes around".
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 07:56:00 PM »
Just before compound bows got really started metal riser recurves were up and coming. Think Bear, Grooves, Pearson, and of course Hoyt target bows. What I see today by your observation is where we were in early 70's. What has made a big difference IMO is designs and materials. I would put money down that some of these modern Super Recurves are as fast or faster than those early compounds.
 We are progressing in how we shoot these bows as well. String walking (fixed crawl) is more prevalent in Trad than say 10 years ago. Sights are being sold and used as well.
 I have already heard the rumblings that Trad does not mean what it meant back when the concept was accepted by those with stick and string. I also hear this from wheel bow people when we ask about "Trad stakes"  at shoots.  Lots of stuff to ponder about for sure. Me, I like progress mainly because as I age and cannot shoot bows over 55# I know I can get acceptable performance from modern recurves and LB.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
Those metal riser bows are ugly.  I can't be seen shooting an ugly bow   :laughing:
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline muth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
What year did Fred Bear start making the Bear magnesium riser?

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 09:32:00 PM »
It's all archery and in the end it boils done to a bow and arrow.
T ZZZZ

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »
Think I will just stay with good ole wood!
Terry
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline postman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 09:50:00 PM »
Like I said, I am fine with it, just never been to a shoot this big and couldn't help but notice people shooting this style of bows. But after picking one up in a group I was shooting with I think I will stick with my modern wood longbow.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2017, 12:04:00 AM »
Compound converts like metal risers. They want their tapped holes to screw in all the accessories they're used to.

Yeah, yeah, we all know metal risers have been around forever. Don't need a history lesson or an argument about how "trad" they are.

They're butt ugly and cold.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2017, 01:19:00 AM »
I was one of those guys with a metal riser at ETAR. I also ordered a new 3pc stewart slammer while I was at this shoot. I like all bows, I have a LHA bow a few bob lees, hoyt gmx, two border tempest, gillo. All bows are fun to shoot, Im the type of person who doesnt snub their nose at what bow your shooting, Im the type of guy who asks if I can try your bow out.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Offline Cwilder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 02:14:00 AM »
I'm one of them ILF guys. I have metal, Carbon and wood risers.
I love Bow Hunting

Offline Rando

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 07:24:00 AM »
History repeats itself is my belief... We started with all wood bows, moved to wood & fiberglass longbows & 'curves, then eventually compounds and carbon & metal components. We're just caught in the history loop... gotta find my bell-bottom jeans and Zubaz.
Rando

Offline hardbern

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 08:09:00 AM »
i wasn't there, but I see this wondrous wooden beast was - maybe one of you bought it?

Offline muth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 08:14:00 AM »
My favorite bow is a Northern Mist Whisper.  I shoot everything from a Osage self bow to an Trad Tech Titian, with some classic bears and
Wings in between.  

I'm having shoulder surgery in a couple of weeks.  The Titian was purchased as a rehab bow.  I have had fun tuning and shooting it.  Good speed for the draw weight.

Hope to get back to shooting my ASL's after surgery and rehab.  I probably shoot the ILF bow a little better, but enjoy the "tradition"/challenge of the ASL.  

Keeping it Fun!

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
To each their own and shoot whatever and however makes you happy.

I too have noticed the trend and feel a lot has to do with the current age of social media and the influence it has on others.

Shoot I remember when I thought it was odd to see someone shooting 3 under just because everyone I shot with shot split. Now I see some really wild anchors all the time! If that works for you, go for it!

Me personally, I will stick with my modern wood bows, and split finger instinctive shooting. That other stuff is to complicated and makes me think too much! I go out to shoot or hunt to not think!  ;)

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »
Shooting one bow all the time has to be sooo boring. Wood riser yes metal yes in ILF I can shoot longbow or recurve from many different bowyers. I also like one pcs longbows. Hunt with all of them and not sure which one until I walk out the door to go hunting.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©