3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bows at ETAR  (Read 984 times)

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bows at ETAR
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 09:39:00 AM »
I was at ETAR with a metal riser ILF bow.  It had a stabilizer, wrist sling and elevated rest.  I also have several wooden recurves and got a new wood longbow while I was there.  I love all bows and enjoy shooting them all.  I appreciate my ILF because it allows me to shoot different limb options very inexpensively.  My favorite recurve and longbow maker charges around $400 dollars for a set of limbs and I'd say that is about standard, but I can call up Lancaster Archery and have a new set of quality limbs for my ILF bow for $150 or less.  I also wanted to set up a bow that I could shoot vanes on my arrows with.  The elevated rest on my ILF bow makes it a breeze.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
Bern, I was set up next to that guy at the swap meet. Had to go over and fondle it a little. I've heard of the Royal Caledonian, but never saw one. Wonder how it made its way here? Sounded like he wanted to get rid of it- said make me an offer. Just not my cup of tea.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Jackrhendricks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »
Im  of the younger crowd that seems to be drawn to the "modern" bows. however, and I wont say "never" but I cant imagine shooting a metal riser bow. All these great bowyers out there(heck even bear production bows show a level of craftsmanship) shooting an ugly bow just seems weird. Part of the draw to Traditional for me was the beautiful bows that are out there. Im a compound convert and the metal risers feel more familiar(which is why I think they have caught on, most peoplecoming to traditional are from compounds)but if I wanted something that was like my compound I wouldn't have switched in the first place. Worst of all these bows are equal to or more expensive in price as a custom. I'd rather support a small time custom bowyers dream of handcrafting bows for a living and cant wait till I have the coin to do so. I hope its just a fad. In my opinion I'd rather have the traditional industry stay traditional and support skilled, custom bowyers.

Online TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jackrhendricks:
Im  of the younger crowd that seems to be drawn to the "modern" bows. however, and I wont say "never" but I cant imagine shooting a metal riser bow. All these great bowyers out there(heck even bear production bows show a level of craftsmanship) shooting an ugly bow just seems weird. Part of the draw to Traditional for me was the beautiful bows that are out there. Im a compound convert and the metal risers feel more familiar(which is why I think they have caught on, most peoplecoming to traditional are from compounds)but if I wanted something that was like my compound I wouldn't have switched in the first place. Worst of all these bows are equal to or more expensive in price as a custom. I'd rather support a small time custom bowyers dream of handcrafting bows for a living and cant wait till I have the coin to do so. I hope its just a fad. In my opinion I'd rather have the traditional industry stay traditional and support skilled, custom bowyers.
Well said, and my opinion as well. Archery is a personal thing, and preference is yours. Not saying that it is necessarily happening yet but would hate to see factory production equipment take away from skilled craftsmen trying to make a living on their own.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
I'm 66 and been shooting a metal riser nearly exclusively for about 12 years. It is nothing like a compound - no let off. A bow is a tool for me - I always choose the best tool I can for me for any job. And for my bowhunting and archery pleasures, a metal riser does it for me.

Offline 3_dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
I think it's important to remember that Morrison makes a metal riser as well that's said to be amazing, and he's not a huge manufacturer by any means. so, it's not just large manufacturers.

In the end, to each their own.

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 05:19:00 AM »
I have no problem with the metal risered folks,,,, at first I was like whats this Bull crap metal riser thing but then realized these are a lot of the folks coming over from wheels so I'm all for any style bow which brings in the future,,,, at some point they will move from those and try other things like hill bows, selfbows, little kiddie looking shrew bows, ah man I love this sport 8^)
"Us vs Them"

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 07:32:00 AM »
I'm fine with people shooting any bow that makes them happy including compounds.

I can understand shooting a metal riser bow since it really feels dead in the hand. What I can't understand is someone shooting a metal riser bow with stabilizer, plunger button, site and who knows what. You've basically remade the compound without the let off so for me I would just shoot the compound.

Now I've never shot either so I could be wrong and don't want to offend anyone, I just can't understand it.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline hardbern

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by mahantango:
Bern, I was set up next to that guy at the swap meet. Had to go over and fondle it a little. I've heard of the Royal Caledonian, but never saw one. Wonder how it made its way here? Sounded like he wanted to get rid of it- said make me an offer. Just not my cup of tea.
It was made by George Birnie in Texas!

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 11:53:00 PM »
Didn't he work for Ben  Pearson for a while after emigrated from Scotland?
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline little_feather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
Can someone explain ILF to me?

Offline KeganM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »
Internation Limb Fitting. It's just how the limbs attach to the riser, and it's a pretty slick system in that it doesn't require any tools to be taken apart but you can adjust tiller slightly (which helps with fine tuning and weight).

Some of the target ILF's aren't so eye-catching, but man, some of these new hunting ILF bows are just sweet!

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 05:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by SteveB:
I'm 66 and been shooting a metal riser nearly exclusively for about 12 years. It is nothing like a compound - no let off. A bow is a tool for me - I always choose the best tool I can for me for any job. And for my bowhunting and archery pleasures, a metal riser does it for me.
The exact reason I hunt with an IL bow now.  At 65 I have made the circle a couple times now.  I like shooting all my bows but when I hunt I find I shoot nothing as well as I do with a recurve with an elevated rest.  I owe it to the game I hunt to make a good killing shot and not wound them.
T ZZZZ

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2017, 11:14:00 PM »
I'm just glad folks are turning over to single string archery.

I tend to be a bit of a luddite and personally find metal risers repugnant. However, for many folks those rock-solid metal risers mean absolute, unfailing precision and rigidity.

As mentioned, to each his/her own.

I'm glad many are joining the single string ranks - strength in numbers!!
Southwest Archery "Spyder" recurve (lefty)
+35lb limbs
+"Nifty Fifty" 50lb limbs
Hunters Choice Bowstrings - props to Daniel!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
As many have said, I think it's an "evolution"... And Yes! History does repeat its self...
Back in the 1970's I started bow hunting with a Bear Alaskan recurve, and cedar arrows with feathers, tipped with Bear Razorheads. After a couple years, my family, friends, and I stuck a Bear Weatherest on our bows, and started shooting Easton aluminum arrows with vanes & screw in points & broad heads. Eventually, we all bought compounds, but after my 5th or 6th one, I soon became "disenchanted" with the newest, latest, greatest, fastest, direction that bow hunting was taking. So... I gave up bow hunting for quite a few years!
I really missed bow hunting though... I missed the days of simple practice in the back yard, the lightness of a simple bow in the hand. The smell of broken cedar... Over the past years, I've aquired 2 custom long bows, that I haven't touched in many years. A collection of old Bear recurves, and my new Bear Custom Kodiak T/D that I have wanted for over 40 years!
My son Tyler builds all of our arrows, and my "tuning process" is actually a process of elimination... Bad flyers, go in the stumping bucket. The best ones, that seem to always hit where I look, eventually get Razorheads glued on for hunting season. Simple! The way it used to be... Traditional Archery & Bow Hunting, is a journey... Choose YOUR path, and enjoy it!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline muth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2017, 12:52:00 PM »
Choose YOUR path, and enjoy it!!

Good advice.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2017, 08:12:00 PM »
"In the final analysis, all tastes are tastes."
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
I think it's great with all the different makes, models, wood, metal, carbon and others. It would be kind of boring if everyone shot the same.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
On the other side of things - Something I see less and less of at ETAR are self bows.  There use to be a lot (relatively speaking) 10+ years ago.  This year, I don't think I noticed any on the courses.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2017, 02:23:00 AM »
Metal riser bows? nothing new, I got this one in 1966

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©