3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Crocodile Boar  (Read 1042 times)

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
The Crocodile Boar
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
Hey Fellas,
Managed to get out again, looking for a few pigs. Managed to go out for a look one day and covered 18kms (about 11 miles) on foot without seeing one. The area had plenty of sign and some big boars at that, but the long dry grass needed to be burnt off before we would head back there. only managed to see one Buffalo for the day, and got a few quick pics before the wind swirled and he took off.

Fast forward a few more weeks, and we headed back to another spot, where hopefully it had dried out enough for us to access the pigs. We split up and I headed to a water source that should have held a few pigs. A fair march to get there, and I was rewarded with plenty of sign, as the pigs tear up the plains looking for food.

after a while of walking around the edge of the water, I spotted the first pig. It was a sow with about six piglets in tow. I left them alone, hoping for some good karma, and boars. I found a perfect white feather on the ground, and recall that the late Bill Baker, used to consider them good luck, so I picked it up and placed it in my bow quiver. Only a few minutes later, I spotted a lone pig feeding in the water, and on closer inspection it looked like an old boar in poor condition. Game on! I snapped a few more pictures and cut back through the long grass to get myself closer.

He had his head down feeding busily, so getting close was no problem. I managed to get into about 20 yards and couldn't get any closer due to the long grass giving away to mud. I thought about shooting from the cover, but I didn't have the best angle, so I thought I'd wait for him to turn around, or feed past me so the wind direction would allow me to close the distance while he had his head underwater and drill him from spitting distance.

It seemed like a good plan, except he was such a guts, he stayed in the one spot feeding. Being, the Dry season now, the wind is usually constant, so I gambled that it would stay like it was, and he would eventually offer a shot of feed past. After about five or ten minutes, I was getting restless and kept poking my head above the grass to see what was going on, and he spotted me.

He started walking towards me, as he must have thought I was another pig and was coming to check me out. I already had an arrow on the string, so put my bow arm up and at 5 yards decided all was not well and took off to my left.
I swung the longbow up and had a shot on the run, hitting him further back than I wanted but still a fatal shot. The arrow skipped across the floodplain, as I was using my buffalo setup.
He was hit hard and ran straight for the long grass, I raced off after him, trying to keep him in sight. He stopped after about 50 yards and turned to face me in the long grass, and I thought "Uh Oh, here we go" but he took off again, running in an arc. I put an arrow on the string and cut across to intercept him and he stopped and faced me at less than 10 yards.

This time I thought " Oh No you don't" and before I knew it I was at full draw looking at his shoulder, but he was quartering on so I aimed at his head and let rip.

770gns smashed him right in the centre of his forehead as his legs instantly folded under him and he collapsed stone dead.

I was in a bit of disbelief as it happened so fast, but laying before me in the grass was my first boar. I walked up to him and made sure he was dead, and set him up for a few photos.

On closer inspection, the big wound on his left side seems to have been caused by a Crocodile. It had a bite out of him, and the boar managed to get away. You could actually see a rib hanging out of the hole in him. I guess that the wound and possibly the subsequent infection is what caused his poor condition, as his tooth wear, indicated he's a 3 year old boar, and in his prime. My camera battery went flat, so I didn't get many pictures, luckily I had my phone on me and managed a few good ones. I'll have to upload some later. I decided to take his whole skull as a trophy, as it's a pretty cool memento with the arrow hole in his head.

Anyway, hope you liked the story of my first boar.
Memo

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Crocodile Boar
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 09:04:00 AM »
Thanks for a great read! Good hunting in the future!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 09:05:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing the story and the photos!  Looks like down under has some fine hunting opportunities.  Yes that boar skull will be a fine conversation piece for some time......

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
Congratulations! Good shooting,and a good story.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
Sounds like a great adventure.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »
"770gns smashed him right in the centre of his forehead as his legs instantly folded under him and he collapsed stone dead"

heck ya that would make any legs instantly fold!!!

Thank for sharing the story and the pics.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »
An enjoyable read.   :thumbsup:  

What broadhead did you use?
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 10:23:00 AM »
Great read and congrats.  That would make a great euro mount with the arrow still embedded.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 11:05:00 AM »
Congrats on the pig!  Thanks for the great read!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  Exciting hunt......well done.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online 1Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 04:45:00 PM »
Great Story ,what arrow material and broadhead did you use?

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 05:25:00 PM »
Have a buddy that shot at a doe years ago that spun at the shot and he hit her in same place with a big snuffer! She dropped also. He did the euro mount with broadhead still intact. Pretty neat. Great story and shooting under pressure!
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 08:17:00 PM »
WOW!, Bulls, Pigs and Crocs... nice hunt and well done, thanks for sharing..

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2017, 08:28:00 PM »
Awesome hunt! Congrats on a fine trophy!!
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
Cheers Fellas,
Montery and 1Longbow, arrows were GT Trad 75/95 with 100gn insert and 175gn Grizzly 2 blade with 125gn steel adapter.
Buckeye, I pulled out the arrow, but the broadhead remains inside his brain cavity. It was embedded in the far side of it and came free when I pulled the arrow, but I couldn't get it out. I think I'll leave it there rattling around, be a talking point anyway, haha.
Managed to get pics off my phone, so here is a close up of the wound with his rib showing.

and one of the better pics taken with the phone on self timer

Cheers, Memo.

Offline memo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 08:32:00 PM »
oops, double post

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 10:48:00 PM »
Id say you did him a service, Im sure that wound was pretty sore.

Good writing!  Id like to get back to Australia sometime, hunting would make it better.  And some good Aussie beer.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 11:07:00 PM »
Great hunt, thanks for sharing
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 11:09:00 PM »
Good hunt and good story. Those boars that are in poor health can be dodgy.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Paul R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2017, 01:59:00 AM »
Great stuff mate!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©