3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Would there be an interest in a Traditional Rendezvous/Knap-in in Fries, Va???  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Would there be interest in a large 3D shoot in Fries, Va? Camping would be available with some cabins, and showers on site. No alcohol would be allowed as the property is a Christian retreat facility.

This is just an idea being pondered. The persons with the vision on a large rendezvous type shoot would need partners to help with supplying targets. Or if anyone knows of a 3D target seller or manufacturer that would like to partner in this.

The status of such a shoot is only in the idea stages at this time. The location seems to be willing to host such an event. Camping on site would not be an issue. We're talking several hundred acres of great land layout.

The event dates would not conflict with other large trad shoots such as Tenn Classic, ETAR and the like.

What dates in the spring would work?

Thoughts?

Vendors, would you be interested?

Knappers?
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
From Drewster

Originally posted by Drewster:
Camp Dickenson, in Fries, VA would be a great venue for a large traditional archery gathering. It's 500 acres with 1.7 miles frontage on the New River. The facilities would be excellent, complete with large pavilion, dining hall and all the camping space we could possibly need.

James Parker had a knap-in there this spring and had a very good turn out for the first one. We have been talking about having a combination traditional shoot and knap-in. The possibilities are wide open. All kinds of events could be done, even a canoe shoot from the river.

So far, the idea has been to get several archery clubs involved to host the event. Each club might handle a part of the event. Camp Dickenson would be glad to host the event and even provide meals in their dining hall. Meeting rooms would also be available for seminars. Our imagination is the only limit.

Talk to everyone you know and let's explore the possibilities. A really good invent in the southeast would be great and this venue could handle 500+ people. Talk to one another and let's see what we can make happen.

http://www.campdickenson.com/   Check it out!

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
This could be interesting. Timing would be the key issue
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by Bow man:
This could be interesting. Timing would be the key issue
Yes. That is why we need input. Do you know of any large shoots within 500 miles that occur in April or May? We have heard Memorial Day weekend, and April as a suggestion, but need more input from regional folks.

Vendor participation would be a huge asset to gaining attendance.

Keep in mind, too, that this would also be a jointly held knap-in.

Please reply if you are within four or five hours of Fries, Va. It is near Galax Va in beautiful mountainous country. The west end of Va, very close to NC, Tenn, WV, Ohio, Ky, etc....

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
I would come down there just so you could buy me a cup of coffee and we could swap work stories, lol.

Memorial Day may not be good to draw Michigan folks because of the Primitive gathering in Marshall.

I like  the idea no drinking at the event. Just left shoot this weekend and our group was about the only group at the shoot that didn't walk around with a beer in their hands. There will be another big party shoot next weekend.  I try not to bring the grandkids to those kinds of activities anymore.

Be sure and keep us posted.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thank for the input, Jon.

Michigan might be a stretch for some, but with a combined knap-in, maybe we xan draw a few more folks.

Right now it is just a few fellas kicking around an idea. We really do need some constructive input from anyone who shoots trad and would be close and would attend.

Camping right here would be sooooo nice. Fishing, too!

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
I bet most of the central & western region of CTA members would attend.  I'm outside Winston-Salem, and Galax is only 1hr. 15 minutes drive!  A large shoot like this, in this proximity to home?  A definite!

Offline deerhunter_w

• Trad Bowhunter
Im about 45 minutes away. I would be interested depending on timing.

Jeff
58" Tall Tines 49@28
58" Centaur Triple Carbon Elite 50@27
64" stickflinger 50@28
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Drew's idea for the shoot, Jeff.  ;)

I'm just the cheerleader trying to drum up support. Our club members at CTA would play a role in this. So would our targets. At least some of them.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Deerhunter_w, that comment was for Rough Run, who is also Jeff.  :)

Online GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
I would do my best to make that trip.
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
Bud &/or Drew,
I'm in - pom poms or work gloves, or both!
Great idea, beautiful place!

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Right down the road from me. We'd be in.

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
If be in for sure ! I live 2 hours from there, but my cabin is only about 45 min from there !
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
It would be a bit of a cruise for me but it looks like a great place for a shoot. I would do my best to attend!

Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
As mentioned on facebook, just let me know what i need to do!
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
memorial day weekend is the date for spring knappin at Flint Ridge. Eric can't be at 2 places at once :>} Bob

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Originally posted by huskyarcher:
As mentioned on facebook, just let me know what i need to do!
Yessir!

One of our biggest challenges will be target acquisition to use for the shoot.  We need a partnering club(s) or a target vendor to maybe help.

Offline Magilla

• Trad Bowhunter
I would really like to see it happen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Treadway Black Forest 60”  46@28
Treadway Black Forest 60”  47@28

Online 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
We had a good crowd back when ATAR was held in that area. It was one of mine and Karen's favorite events. We would love to see it, or something similar evolve.

Several years ago we had a short lived club by the name of Piedmont Traditional Archery. At one of the events we invited at least two other clubs to run one or more events. We set up the games and they ran them, keeping the profit for their clubs. It worked well for a first attempt. Ben Graham and his crew did the rabbit roller, with Herb Reynolds and his crew running a couple of other events. It was a win win situation as we furnished the game setup so that they didn't have to bring stuff in. They got the money for the event and we got more overall participation. Because of the extra involvement we were able to have more games like a canoe shoot, rabbit roller, and others.

Two or three clubs together can do a lot more than what one can do alone. Thanks Bud for floating this idea. Wow! I'd like to see it happen.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©