3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help - Grip sear on wood riser?  (Read 798 times)

Offline VA_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Help - Grip sear on wood riser?
« on: August 12, 2017, 07:18:00 AM »
I've recently completed Joel Turner's Ironmind Controlled Shooting Process online course.  Through trials and errors, I've found that a grip sear seems to work best for me overcoming my recoil anticipation.  Right now, I'm putting my ring finger on the side of my wood riser wrapped with a leather grip.  To find consistency, I would like it to be a plastic washer or some sort of additional physical material.  Steve Abbott had made this bow and it is quite important to me that I do not deface it in any way.  Has anyone come up with a solid way of having a washer or something attached to a wood riser bow without drilling or having to deface the bow?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Happy hunting

-Mike

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help - Grip sear on wood riser?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »
Hot Glue?
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »
Same question here. Maybe a wire-tie with the end of it cut about 1/4" long? Some people call the a tie wrap. You might have to mess with position and cut a few off but they are cheap.
 I noticed as I went through the course that I started touching a feather just under my nose. I think that might work for me instead of the grip sear.  
BTW I started the course on Sunday a week ago. The improvement in accuracy and control is amazing. Instead of practicing myself into a frustrated sweat, I can shoot a few and hang it up. Plus my fisrt shot is much much better. I feel like I want to stop the course now but I'll continue.
Tedd

Offline VA_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 08:45:00 AM »
Hot glue to mount a washer and zip ties are a good call.  Going to give both a try over the weekend and let you know how it works out.  I appreciate it fellas.
Happy hunting

-Mike

Offline VA_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »
Just threw on a zip tie and headed out.  Worked great.  May stick with it.  Figured it's an easy field fix should it break on me (just keep an extra zip tie or two in my pack).  I ended up having to move it around a bit.  Ended up 2 1/8" below the shelf.  The cut end of the zip tie was cut down to 1/8" and is hanging off of the corner of the riser at a 10 o'clock position.
Happy hunting

-Mike

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
I have used double-sided carpet tape for years to hold on rests and strike plates.  It doesn't damage the wood, other than perhaps a little residue that can easily be removed with goofoff.  I don't know if it would be strong enough to hold a grip sear that would be under constant use, but there wouldn't be any downside to trying.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 01:17:00 PM »
Can you post a photo so we can see where you put the zip tie? What finger do you click it with?
Tedd

Offline jabodnar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 01:24:00 PM »
I messed around will the grip sear this summer. I really liked it,, but had some struggles. I'm using the clicker for this hunting season and am going to give the grip sear a more thorough testing in the off season.

I just used a guitar pick and the 3m double sided outdoor tape on my wood riser. Worked like a charm and came off with no damage. Not sure how it would work on a leather covered handle though.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©