3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me what you'd like to see in a recurve.  (Read 2235 times)

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tell me what you'd like to see in a recurve.
« on: August 12, 2017, 12:50:00 PM »
This is for those who shoot recurve bows, I need your input.  

I've always struggle with recurve designs.  I've offered a few over the last 12 years, they never really seemed to be a "hit".  I personally  prefer longbows and self bows for shooting and the only recurves I really like are the old Ben Pearson's (mustang, cougar, etc.) but not everyone shares my sentiment.  

So I'm thinking about designing a 56" to 58" once piece, recurve bow, I've got an idea, and there's not many out there available with what I have in mind, but I want to hear from you all what you'd like to see, as far as grip, limb width, profile, smoothness (smoothness, my biggest challenge, beating the premature stacking)  and such.  

Your input is much appreciated.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me what you'd like to see in a recurve.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 12:56:00 PM »
I can't shoot every 58" recurve because of a 29" draw. But the ones I can seem to have a few things in common. 50's - 60's styling, lower grip and nice wide limbs. I don't do heavy to well anymore so 40-45 pounds at my draw works well for me. I also am real fond of static recurve limbs, seems to give great performance. Not all will agree with this old guy.......lol
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
If I were going to get another 58" recurve (I wouldn't get a 56") it would be for hunting.  For hunting, I need a takedown recurve that I can easily pack.  3 piece short takedowns seem to sacrifice too much in draw length and smoothness, so it would probably be a two piece takedown: bow bolt, hinge, slot, etc.  I don't like extreme recurves because they seem prone to limb twist, so I would be willing to sacrifice some speed for durability.  So I would like a moderately recurved bow with whatever other features you could build into the design to increase durability and decrease the potential for limb twist.  To help offset the slight decrease in performance from a conservative design, I would like the bow to be constructed of top notch material that would optimize performance.  It should be plain-Jane in appearance, befitting it's role as a hunting bow.  Grips are very personal, of course, but I have always been partial to either the Black Widow or Bob Lee standard grip: not too fat, not too skinny.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
High wrist 60s style similar to the Kodiak Hunter profile, but in 60". Extra curved tips to eliminate that stacking.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »
For me I am a longbow shooter,I really like a 50's style recurve with a leather grip at 58" one piece.I like the grip because it is closer to a longbow style.JMO

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
50's style here as well. They just seem to feel and point better to me
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 03:37:00 PM »
Small riser, static tips, two piece.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 03:49:00 PM »
I know that your not looking to copy anyone's design, that being said the Kota Killum has all the characteristics in a recurve that I am looking for. A recurve has to be quiet and stable
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
IMO we have few choices as far as designs go. One reason I think the 50's style has made a come back. For a no frills hunting/field bow just a 59-62 style Bear Kodiak style made with modern materials to achieve the performance that a bow 10# heavier would give. Why? A lot of Trad guys are old guys and pulling 50#+ bows an'it easy.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
Maybe go to 60" so you can cover more shooters. 59 Kodiak design is a good place to start.
Tedd

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2017, 05:15:00 PM »
i've always wanted to try a saluki ibex, turk or scythian. asiatic style has intrigued me for a long time.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
For me, I will not buy a recurve under 60". As far as grip goes, if you could replicate the grip of a 1965 Kodiak or a Wes Wallace Mentor grip, that would be pure gold! If there were one thing I would recommend, it's finding a grip that serves the majority of the populous. I think that's the appeal of bows like Silver Tip, Wes Wallace, Tall Tines, Tolke and so many other great bowyers to mention.

Offline Dao

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2017, 06:29:00 PM »
I personally like short heavy high-wrist risers.

if it is 56"/58" bow, that, to me is a long recurve, so I'd probably enjoy high curve/static tips on the limbs.

American Archery x-48 and really wide limbs, (subjective opinion to follow) to me it seemed to have smoother draw compared to other similar bow of that size (amo 52).
Scherrinsky 48 Violator___48" 44@27
Border Ghillie Dhu_ ____ _ 52" 45@28
Kiko Tovar 44 Magnum_ __ _ 44" 66@28
Maddog Machete_ _ ____ _  _ 49" 48@28
Rodney Wright Stalker_ _ _ 43" 50@27

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »
All of my recurves will be at least 60".

The only shorter bow that I have owned and would buy again is a 56" Shrew Classic Hunter style.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
I'm sure everyone has their own "favorite".  I would suggest that instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, look at proven, popular  designs; take the best features from them and incorporate them into a solid, affordable bow.  As for me, I like a heavy riser, like a Bear Super Kodiak with a grip like a Bob Lee.  58 inches would be just right.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline texbow2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2017, 09:39:00 PM »
I only draw a touch over 27 and I prefer a 60" recurve. 58" is ok but I get pinched with any 56" that I have tried. I prefer a high grip and a radiused shelf. I also prefer a heavy riser.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 11:17:00 PM »
I draw 27", and will not buy another bow that is under 62".  Can't explain that, but short bows just don't feel right to me.  I think the '72 Bear Kodiak Hunter is about the most perfect bow, except it is 60".  I like a high grip and a small riser. Good luck with your quest to build a popular bow.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline hybridbow hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 12:42:00 AM »
If you plan to make just one model : a 50's style recurve 60"  would probably fit most if you offer some custom grip features as well.  With a good limb design it could handle fairly up to 31" DL plus you could offer 2 piece TD possibilities for those who want a TD bow using locket socket or sleeve.
For those willing more mass you can offer option to built the riser in G10 to get heavier bow. Designing the limbs semi static rather than the classic full working limb could be a way to make something different of what others 50's style recurve bowyers are usually offering yet performing and very stable torsionally and vertically (enhancing accuracy)
La critique est aisée mais l'art est difficile.

Online Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2017, 01:34:00 AM »
Mike, all my favorites are my older Bear bows, Grizzly, Kodiak Hunter, Super K (and a Tamerlane; not for hunting!) The one with the most consistency is the Grizzly at 58"...but the grip could be more contoured and comfortable, for sure.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2017, 01:37:00 AM »
Deflex riser,
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©