3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me what you'd like to see in a recurve.  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me what you'd like to see in a recurve.
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2017, 03:39:00 AM »
Double post for some reason
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2017, 06:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bud B.:
High wrist 60s style similar to the Kodiak Hunter profile, but in 60". Extra curved tips to eliminate that stacking.
The KHunter was made in 60"; the 70's greenies for example. I want one with AFC - automatic form compensation!
SWA Spyder

Offline elkhunter45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2017, 07:57:00 AM »
Mike,

I would like to put in a plug for maybe a longer recurve. I've heard many guys that would like something in the order of a 64" bow in the style of the Bear 59-60 Kodiak. Maybe a 62" one would be unique. I draw 28" and I used a 58" bow many years ago, but I have shot 60" plus for 20 years now.
Predator Custom 60" 47#@28"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2017, 08:12:00 AM »
Prefer larger brace heights on shorter recurves.

Most shorter designs, with higher BH's, that i have worked with were personally more amicable.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 08:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by dbd870:

High wrist 60s style similar to the Kodiak Hunter profile, but in 60". Extra curved tips to eliminate that stacking.
The KHunter was made in 60"; the 70's greenies for example. I want one with AFC - automatic form compensation! [/b]
But the first year (1967.5) was 58".

:)
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 08:32:00 AM »
Plus, Mike mentions designing/building a 56" or 58". I prefer 60" for more smoothness in drawing to anchor.

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 09:45:00 AM »
I got this Chek-Mate Attila on the classifieds last year. It is no longer made but embodies many of the features others have already mentioned for a no frills hunting recurve. I draw 26" on this 56" so can't comment on smoothness of a longer draw but maybe other lengths to accommodate longer draws and cosmetic options for those that like to dress up their bows would help make it more popular. A two piece option would please those that may be traveling.  

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
looks like some responses are pointing toward a long recurve, 60" plus, and 2 piece.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2017, 02:12:00 PM »
50's style like the Great Northern Ghost

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2017, 09:00:00 PM »
This is my opinion but why copie someone else's designs. You as a bowyer should be able to design a recurve that has what you consider in a great bow. Good luck and let us know.

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2017, 09:44:00 PM »
There have been some really good 56-58" recurves. I shoot bows 52-72 inches, so I know there is not a best length, only  good designs suited to their  lengths. The best 55-58" recurves I've shot all have good mass concentrated in a shortish riser and limbs with plenty of curl and not too much width in the last half of the limbs. Short risers seem to imply high wrist grip, but that's not an automatic. I favor a medium grip. The Howatt Diablo and High Speed and Wing Red Wing Hunter are good examples. The Bear Grizzly is nearly indestructible but made some compromises for that durability. I have a 3 pc TD that is 58" that is my best shooting hunting bow because it has all of these same characteristics.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
Lots of great input here already. My 2 cents:

Short, heavy riser is a must for me in a recurve. Points super well and is steady in the hand. 58" or 60" is my sweet spot, but of course that is different for everyone.

I like a low wrist grip and a radiused shelf.

Takedown is a plus, and although I've never seen/heard of a 2 piece takedown recurve I think it'd be fantastic. It would add weight to the riser, and still allow portability. The cost however would obviously be higher than your standard "no frills, cheap hunting bow", so perhaps that's just an add on option if you're considering it.

I think you've got lots of "proof of concept" in the Prairie Predator line...take what you were successful with in that (very affordable, great performance, ability to customize, attractive strung profile), put those same factors into a recurve however you see fit, and you should see that same success.

Looking forward to what you come up with...good luck Mike!
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 10:36:00 PM »
I shoot a 64" great northern shadow(50's style recurve with rather narrow limbs) and much prefer the grip style and streamline riser. If i could get a 56-58" bow with a similar feel and profile id jump on it right away
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
Mass weight in the riser
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 11:16:00 PM »
To The Whittler, that's the idea of asking for opinions, I don't want to copy another's design, it's not something I do, that would be easy. Rather, I'd like to get as much input and try to come up with something that will have as much appeal to a broad spectrum of bow hunters as possible.  Designing a bow isn't as easy as one might think, especially a recurve.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2017, 12:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
..... Designing a bow isn't as easy as one might think, especially a recurve.
And that is 1 of the big 3 in quality manufacturing....excellence in design, craftsmanship and materials. If one of those is missing the product is doomed.

To me, a design is a lot like making a pizza. Some folks like a thin crust - others like a thick one and some like one in the middle - just right.

After that, specific tastes begin to take over.... Some folks love anchovies - some folks hate 'em.

For me, and i'm pretty new to traditional archery, but have determined i most prefer a 3-piece take down recurve - with the limbs on the side facing away from me (opposite Black Widow's bows - ugh....anchovies to me!!!).

I do like the exceptionally curved "static" limb tips like Dryad's ACS limbs or Border Archery's Hex limbs.

I also really like the look of "footed"(?) risers - maybe called a flare?

Anyway, there are many recurve designs which are so very similar, but are very appealing to the masses.

Other bow types are nice (longbows, horse/mounted cavalry bows, etc) - if you like them.

You make a very nice longbow and i'm confident your bowyer skills will produce a quality bow.

I wonder if the design needs to come from what you like about recurves?

Make what you love and love what you make!

Sorry, i am verbose.
Southwest Archery "Spyder" recurve (lefty)
+35lb limbs
+"Nifty Fifty" 50lb limbs
Hunters Choice Bowstrings - props to Daniel!

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2017, 07:59:00 AM »

The KHunter was made in 60"; the 70's greenies for example. I want one with AFC - automatic form compensation! [/b]

:)  [/b]
My point was you don't have to wish - they exist.
SWA Spyder

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
That pic of the Check Mate Atilla pretty much embodies everything I like in a recurve. The Bear Grizzly has similar lines.

I like simple profiles without horns, bumps, thumb rests, etc. Same with contrasting crazy riser laminations. Some bowyers seem to go overboard and end up with a gaudy looking bow. I'd much rather see a nice piece of pretty wood than a rainbow.

The takedown feature doesn't mean much to me. I have one and only ever took it apart to install a quiver.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2017, 09:44:00 AM »
In my eye (and hands), the best example of a terrific 58" hunting bow was the Howatt Hi Speed.  Powerful, works great for my 29" draw, maneuverable, easy to shoot (as well as I am able to shoot)...

Out of all the bows I have owned, from 50" Sheepeater, to 54" Thunderstick Ramhorn, to 60", 62", and 64"ers built by names you'd recognize... I think the 58" bow may be the perfect length for HUNTING... at least MY hunting!
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2017, 10:20:00 AM »

quote:

:)   [/b]
My point was you don't have to wish - they exist.
But not one made by Mike at Maddog!

Heck, recurves exist, so why build one at all? The reality is, Mike makes great bows. I like his Prairie Predator and his Pup longbows. If he made a recurve that I preferred, I would buy one, like one similar to the KH in high wrist, 60",  long rounded working curved tips for smooth draw well past 28". And affordable, like the rest of Mike's bows.

I have four Kodiak Hunters. Since Bear no longer makes them, it would be great to see a newly made similar version, but not a clone. Especially one with a nicely radiused shelf. Most KHs have flat shelves. Great for elevated rests, but no so good shooting off the shelf.

Looking forward to what you come up with, Mike. Very much so.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©