3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me what you'd like to see in a recurve.  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tell me what you'd like to see in a recurve.
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 10:32:00 AM »
I can tell you what I don't like in a bow. It's a grip with sharp back corners like the new Bear Super Kodiak. Just horrible and I'm a Bear fan.      :mad:

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »
I would go with captin Kirk on the old bear designs. I like a full working limb that is not got a ton of hook. I had a Attila at one time. Got too heavy for me but a very good design.
High on Archery.

Offline Boneyard Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 11:29:00 AM »
The simple designs from the past is what most guys and gals I know seem to like. Pearson Deer slayer,
Howatt Bandito ect.
The size of the horns don,t matter
as long as it has a good tale.

Offline Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
The only 58" bow I've been able to shoot well is a Browning Cobra II drawn to 29.5". but it is 44#'s. I've owned/shot Bears,Howatts,Pearson and prefer a heavier riser in 62-64" these days.But static tips in a shorter bow might give the smoothness we all crave.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 06:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
[QB] That pic of the Check Mate Atilla pretty much embodies everything I like in a recurve. The Bear Grizzly has similar lines.

Here is the visual comparison alluded to of the 56" Attila and a 58" early 70's Grizzly.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2017, 09:49:00 PM »
I have settled on 60 inch bows. I have had several 58 inchers and though they shoot well, I have no desire to have one, my next bow , if I ever buy another will most likely be 62 inches. I would like to see a modernized version of something similar to the 57 Kodiak. That would get my attention.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 02:29:00 AM »
A bowyer could get pretty confused reading about what archers like in a recurve it seems with all the various opinions on what different individuals like in a recurve:)

What one likes another may not care for.What another dislikes another loves.

How bout a hybrid cross between a 50s style and 60s style offered in one or 2 piece.That might get you on the path to a middle of the road design that would please a wide cross section of recurve addicts.Not too heavy.Not too light physically.A  nice amount of wood showing in the riser but still not too bulky.The riser wood would allow some artistic flare as far as shaping,sculpting,cosmetics and aesthetics.

You would still have the T.D version as an option for the T.D lovers.But you would not have multiple limb options.Oh well too bad.Three pieces are ugly anyway.

I have always liked many of narrow limbed recurves bows with a deep core.Thier elegant and if made right dampen out quickly and are quiet.I like the looks and performance of the 50s style 62 inch Fox breed in this narrow deep core.Its full working and very smooth,quiet,stable and fast.These limbs feel like a longbow somewhat.Alot of 50s style recurves have this type of limb.Some are better than others.The riser on this bow is a bit longer and has gorgous long fadeouts that extend and disappear.The thinnest across I ever had was 1 inch at the fadeouts and was build by Fritz Johnk of Frederick longbows.All the laminations were beautfully tapered to fine whip like tips.Very nice and elegant and unique bow.

Conversely I have had wider limbs that shot great.Brackenbury,Wallace,Jack Howard,Schafer and Blacktails etc.More of a 60s style

As far as limbs you have choices.Full working,semi static,static and the more radical super recurves like Border and Morrisons and a few others.

Deflexed risers,straight risers,setback risers and forward set grips and or reverse handle,Asian etc.

Small diminutive tips are always welcome.

A few differnt grips and custom grip options in this area are always a great idea

I have owned and liked recurves of many styles and of different era's.Had a major bow addiction problem that I have actually gotten over due to poverty.

It would require alot of thought and imagination to come up with a recurve that pleased many archers on a broad spectrum.But I think it could be done.Might come to you in your dreams at night deep in REM.

I would like to see what the creative impulses,  instincts and rational thought of your mind come up with in your end game of designing a near perfect curve.Thiers certainly a lot of ideas to consider.

Look forward to seeing what you come with!

Put me on the your test list when it comes to fruition Mike

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2017, 07:45:00 AM »
I too am on the 2 piece boat.  I prefer the bow bolt type. A 59. Kodiak type would surely be a hit. That being said my favorite grip lies somewhere between a Tall tines  and Schafer. The late 50's early 60's bows have stood the test of time though and would be hard to go wrong with.  Limb wise if I were to copy anyone it would be the Schafer.  Smoooth!   I like 60" bows as they seem to be the middle ground for compromises.
John
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
I too am on the 2 piece boat.  I prefer the bow bolt type. A 59. Kodiak type would surely be a hit. That being said my favorite grip lies somewhere between a Tall tines  and Schafer. The late 50's early 60's bows have stood the test of time though and would be hard to go wrong with.  Limb wise if I were to copy anyone it would be the Schafer.  Smoooth!   I like 60" bows as they seem to be the middle ground for compromises.
John

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2017, 01:00:00 PM »
Alright, I think I got all the information I need, thanks for the input.  Most input points me towards, bulky risers, 60" -64" lengths, 50's and 60's profile, and 2 piece.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2017, 01:28:00 PM »
If there was ever a bow bolt 59 Kodiak style bow in about 62 inches I'd buy one immediately
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by mark Willoughby:
If there was ever a bow bolt 59 Kodiak style bow in about 62 inches I'd buy one immediately
:thumbsup:    ME TOO!!
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2017, 01:49:00 PM »
Sorry to disappoint, but I'll not use a bow bolt.  Tried it, before.  I think it would work fine with synthetic materials like phenolic but I didn't get good results with wood risers.  Perhaps in the hands of somebody with better machinery, and engineering skills than I have, the bow bolt is better suited. A guy has to know his limits.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2017, 07:47:00 AM »
John

Offline last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
I think you are on the right track.  The perfect bow for me is a 67.5/68 Super Kodiak.  The medium high grip shape, the ratio of handle to limb length, riser mass makes for a smooth, forgiving and accurate bow (for me).  These characteristics are more important than performance for me. I usually go for a 60 inch bow as I feel they match my 28" draw the best.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2017, 01:44:00 PM »
I took all the input, and I put wood together last evening to make a form, it'll be 62" - 64" long, slim, and with high wrist or low wrist option.  Thanks everyone.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2017, 04:26:00 PM »
Can't wait to see one!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
Smokes! That was fast!

I'll test a lefty!
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
It's a shame on the bow bolt. That's a deal breaker for me. Come on try some Phenolic or Micarta.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2017, 09:28:00 PM »
I've got one of those minds, Bucknut.  And I'm not sure you could relate or not.  But if I put something out there with a bow bolt in it, especially over 45#, it would vex my thoughts day and night.  And I'd rather be at peace, I really dig peace, I value it over most things.

There are those bowyers out there that use it, and have had success, they'll be happy to help you out.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©