3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2017 Archery Moose Season after 4-days-updated w-day 6, new pics  (Read 1214 times)

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Last Thursday (Aug 10th) was the start of the 2017 archery moose season. I had to work, but I'm on a reduced schedule of 6 hrs, so I had plenty of time in the evening get my hunting fix.

For opening day, I chose to hunt about 2-miles from home where I had seen a fork horn during a scouting trip. It was fairly warm at the start of the hunt, so I hadn't gone far when I took a break to cool down, and sit for about an hour in a likely trail along an alder patch.

First break:

You'll notice that I'm hanging onto my Misty Dawn for this canned photo. I've learned to keep my bow handy at all times after missing out on a shot when I left it behind to do some glassing. It happened on my first scouting trip up the mountain on Prince of Wales Island where I took the buck in my profile photo. I was most of the way up the ridge to the lowest peak. I decided to take a break, so I dropped my pack and set the bow on it while I went about 10 yards slightly downhill where I could glass a valley and a semi-open area on the next ridge over. When I turned around, there was a nice buck standing broadside to me and almost standing on my bow!

About the time I ended the break, clouds had moved in and a light, cooling breeze came up. I still hunted and did some short posts for the next two hours until I came up to slough. Right away, I picked out bull feeding in some timber across the slough. Could this be the bull I saw on my scouting trip? After a glassing him for a few minutes, I determined that it was a different bull with slightly palmated antlers...not legal. Still, that made my day.

Friday, I decided to hunt the same spot, but didn't see any moose.

I hunted one of my favorite areas on Saturday. There was off and on drizzles all day. I covered a lot of ground, and spent quite a bit of time on my Torges Seat, but didn't see any animals, which was strange considering how many I saw last year.

My last post was on the edge of a nice muskeg area. I cut out a blind in the spruces bordering the muskeg last year. There is a nice trail between the two.

The final post:

Notice the moose droppings at the bottom of the photo. I guess they didn't like my work! Also notice that I didn't have my bow in hand...OOPS!

The muskeg from the stand:

Flash back to 2013 at this muskeg: The first time I came to this muskeg was in September 2013. I wanted to get a better look around the muskeg, so I jumped up on one of the hummocks where a small spruce was growing. I no sooner got on it than the ground started wildly shaking. Earthquake! I grabbed the spruce to keep from being thrown off into the muskeg. I watched the tall birch trees across the muskeg violently whipping back and forth. Why they didn't snap off I'll never know! I'm sure there was a rain of dead branches coming off those trees. I was sure glad that I was in the muskeg surrounded by the small spruces and not in the birch timber!

Today (Sunday), started off fairly windy and rainy, so I didn't get into the woods until after noon. I decided to hunt in the muskeg post area again as I saw some pretty good sign yesterday. To get there, I need to cross a small drainage, where my son and I built a simple log bridge.

This leads to a nice strip of open birch and spruce where we have taken a couple of bulls. I had just gotten into the timber when I spotted a moose. Turned out to be a cow with a calf. Always fun to see a nervous cow with her calf.

The wind wasn't favorable to post here, so I made a wide circuit around some good moose cover and came into the muskeg, this time setting up in a clump of small spruce opposite yesterday's stand to take better advantage of the wind. It started off good, but the wind start making wild swings, so I called it a day fairly early. It was still a great time in the woods.

I hope I didn't bore you too much with my ramblings. I'm still hoping to get my first moose with a bow. Four more days to go. Wish me luck!
Chuck

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2017 Archery Moose Season after 4-days-updated w-day 6, new pics
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 06:07:00 AM »
Definitely wish you luck and thanks for taking us along  on your adventure.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:13:00 AM »
Beautiful pictures, good luck to you sir
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 07:25:00 AM »
One day I'll get to do that ! Good luck on the hunt
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 07:28:00 AM »
Good luck!

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:30:00 AM »
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
Cool!  I notice you are from Palmer.  We stop at a cafe there every year on the way to Tok.  It's across the street from the fairgrounds.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 09:18:00 AM »
Nice recap.  Good luck with the rest of the season and keep up with the updates
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 10:01:00 AM »
Thanks, everyone.

Mike: That would be the Noisy Goose. Nice place to take a break.
Chuck

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
Yep that's it.  Good breakfast!

Traditional stop every year on the way.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline neargeezer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 03:23:00 PM »
Good read Chuck. Good luck, and isn't work supposed to come last now? Like maybe after moose season!

Terry K.

Offline newhouse114

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 04:01:00 PM »
I used to live in Wasilla, the last two bulls I killed up there were about 8.5 miles out KGB towards point McKenzie. Back then there were big tracts of timber between the subdivisions that held a lot of moose.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 04:10:00 PM »
Yep, Terry. That's the way it should be, but the short work days give me a fair amount of time in the woods. Then there's the month long general season coming up. That's when things get interesting; fewer mosquitos, the bulls coming to calls...still plenty of time!
Chuck

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
Wonderful story and pics.

Best of luck...
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 10:56:00 PM »
great story.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 11:32:00 PM »
:campfire:  awesome

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 06:50:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing your adventure,nice pictures.
   Good luck!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 02:20:00 PM »
I had a prior commitment on day 5, so I didn't get to hunt. Would have been a beautiful evening in the woods.

Day 6 (Tuesday): The weatherman predicted that Wednesday would be a wet one, so I mowed the lawn after work. For this reason, I decided to hunt close to home and prowl the woods where I hunted on opening day.

I was hot to trot to get in the woods, so I double checked that I hadn't forgotten anything as I loaded up the truck. As soon as I got to my parking spot, I realized I had forgotten to put in my contact lenses! I usually only wear them when hunting, so it is easy to forget to put them in. Then I remembered the backup set in my shirt pocket.

After popping in the contacts in, I saddled up and eased into the woods. I had only gone in a short way when I remembered that I forgot to put on my camo war paint, in this case, charcoal from a wine cork. I wasn't going to go back, so at the first muddy spot I came across, I painted on some mud. With any luck, I thought, a moose had relieved itself here and I would have an effective scent camo too!

After standing for a while to cool off at the same place I did on opening day, I eased over close to the edge of a 30 yd wide grassy swale that happened to run in the direction the light wind was coming from, so to the right I could look across the swale and into some nice timber, and to the left about 40 yards away, I could look into an stand of alder.

I was following a fairly well defined moose trail with a set of large tracks that look fresh heading into the wind. I had only gone about 100 yds. when I got a whiff of what I thought had to be moose. Naw, it must just be my muddy camo. Another few yards, and there was a moose just inside the alders. I glassed it for about 10 mins before it started moving it's head some so I could see that it was a cow. She slowly turned and walked deeper into the alders.

I moved ahead a few hundred yards and setup at the base of a large cottonwood.

Cottonwood stand:

From here I could see 200 yds ahead in the cottonwood/birch/spruce timber, almost to a slough on my right and the remnants of the alder patch that was transitioning into a grassy area with scatter brush and timber on the left. The timber I was in had tall grass, wild rose bushes and other small bushes that would make pretty good cover for a stalk.

After about 45 mins., caught a movement off to my left. I could only see the hind end of the moose  at first, so I had hopes that it would be a legal bull. Alas, it turned out to be a cow.

Here she comes:

She got as close as 35 yds at one point. Had it been a bull, I would have been able to close that distance down to to 20 yds or less without a problem.

I only stood there a short while after she passed me, quartering downwind. I didn't want to spook her, so I backed out the way I came in, so I was moving downwind too.

Today (Wednesday)is cool, overcast and occasional light rain...perfect! I won't be able to get out until this evening, but I'm hoping for the best.
Chuck

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 03:47:00 PM »
Great Stuff !!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline Eden

• Trad Bowhunter