3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Starting up a new shop  (Read 961 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Starting up a new shop
« on: August 14, 2017, 11:06:00 PM »
As we are settling in to our new home it is time for me to get a start on getting things together to open up a small trad only shop here at our house. My father owns a normal compound shop which i have done the tech and sales in for roughly the last 12 years but it is time to open something of my own. I would like to keep overhead down but still need to have a decent inventory before i open up. What are some good recommendations?
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Starting up a new shop
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:20:00 PM »
Are you planning on walk-in traffic or internet only sales?
Either way, you need to have a professional help you design a top-notch website...it can make or break you.
Aim small,miss small

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:48:00 PM »
Id like to do both. Ive seen how internet sales have seemed to have taken over for the most part

Offline Captain*Kirk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 12:16:00 AM »
I don't believe local traffic can or will support you. Even the guy across the street from you will likely cave and buy from the big internet shops...you have to be prepared to compete with that. I've seen too many neat little mom and pop shops knuckle under to the big guys. What can you provide that they can't? Think about that and focus on it.
Plus, website traffic gives you access to people all across the country rather than a 10 mile radius.
One thing sorely needed in today's urban encroachment are good, well-run archery ranges. Provide that and it may tip the scales in your favor.
Aim small,miss small

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 08:26:00 AM »
One word... ARROWS!!!!! Nothing says "Traditional" like beautifull, hand crafted, feather fletched, WOOD Arrows!!! Customers may only buy 1 bow, but they will keep coming back to buy arrows!!!
Just one old farts oppinion.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline americanhunter7

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
I'll second arrows! I make arrows for myself and a few bowyers and usually can't keep up! A range would be great too, but not sure of the insurance coverage that would be needed for the liability involved with that.Never hurts to get information from places who already have established ranges to answer questions you may have. Heck you've made a great decision on here already asking for input on what people want.

Customer service also comes to mind. One thing I've noticed here within the TG family is the customer service and attention to detail with regard to selling quality over quantity.

Where are you located in Indiana? I know we've got two great trad shops in the state with Kustom King and 3 Rivers, so if you're near them it might be a chore, but still totally doable.

Good luck and best wishes on starting up a trad shop!
John         :campfire:        

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BOHO

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 08:49:00 AM »
I agree on the online aspect but there is one issue. Your gonna have to compete with **** and Amazon. There's also three rivers, Kustom king and a half dz others. Can you compete with their prices? If your selling the same things they are you'll have to. The advantage you'll have is personal service. Put your contact info on the website but also put hours. I wouldn't want someone calling me at 9pm. Try to find something people need/want that only you can provide. That will help a lot. There are a growing number of trad guys but they are still spread out all over the country. I wouldn't count on doing much local business. You may have an indoor range and convert some local archers but that's not gonna amount to much business imo. Good luck !!
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow
Black Widow Recurve
Mike Corby Special
DAS Recurve

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 10:27:00 AM »
Arrows would certainly be a big part especially wood arrows. Even though there is a lot of work that goes into custom wood arrows i feel most options out there are a bit high on price. Maybe a good quality no frills hunter series(walnut stain, single color cap dip) at an affordable price would move a good number of sets.

Offline TruffleShuffle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 11:48:00 AM »
I don't know how trad shops even make it.  We are lucky to have one in my town of 75,000, but it's an old guy running it who does it for fun.  He is retired and well off.  Last time I stopped by he said I was his 3rd customer of the week    :eek:

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »
Had my own archery shop and can honestly agree that foot traffic in this day and age won't support you unless there's a reason for people to go there.  I had and indoor range and had all the local archery clubs coming in year round to shoot and especially winter leagues.  I can't imagine what kind of inventory you would have to carry to have all the things people think they need now days.  If you just want to do it for fun and make a few extra dollars then you can do that...good luck!

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
Thanks for jumping in!

Like others have already stated you need the Web to survive.

And a niche of items that other don't offer and more importantly we as customers Need.

One thing that frustrates me in online buying of archery supplies is that in most cases that I can't get all of the items wanted at one place.

Usually having to order at two different stores and this makes my cost go up due to separate shipping bills.

For example the glove brand I wants is carried at store XYZ but they don't carry the broad head I want. So I'm forced to buy broad heads from store ABC
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
Don't forget about the kids! Seems lots of Commercial stores cater to the adults but not enough for the younger kids and teens .
 I just went to a Big Archery shop in Pa. and all I bought was a childs bow for our youngest last week who is only 5 now. She was born with out any thumbs but wanted a pink bow and saw one and I bought it for her. Her hands are turned to a 45 degree angle but she holds the bow between her right middle finger and pulls with her 4 fingers on left (one over  and three under)
 It is just a fiberglass $12.99 bow with suction cups but to her it was her own little custom bow.
 I've found if you have things that some box stores don't have like the small things such as rests, barge cement,some leather goods, wool clothing and possibly ground seats of all sorts you might do good with walk in sales.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 04:33:00 PM »
Congratulations on your new venture!
 I'm so glad to see another  traditional shop open up!
 What to stock?  Boy the skies the limit there!
 I would figure the essentials ,  gloves,tabs,quivers, maybe a few selected broadheads
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 04:36:00 PM »
I would think that a selling relationship with some of our sponsors, who craft things like leather goods that are not available in the bigger stores, would be beneficial.  I get tired of seeing the same old stuff at the bigger vendors' web stores, and like the uniqueness of more custom or handmade products.

Also, a YouTube channel would be helpful.  My dad ran a shop for many years, and one thing that kept it going was the patrons who just wanted to stop in and shoot the breeze.  A double edged sword, that, because if they always talk and don't buy, there's no money changing hands.  But if you could capture that atmosphere somehow in a YouTube channel, you'd generate a lot of interest and traffic should follow.  You might even sell ad space for some trad companies or products.

If I had a shop, I'd consider setting up an HD video camera full time, and turning it on to catch certain things that I'd like to show on YouTube, from conversations, products, activities, or customer interactions.  

I wouldn't go into it expecting to get rich, but it might make for an interesting hobby.

Just some talk, and talk's cheap...
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 05:50:00 PM »
Kids and womens gear is definitely high on my list. Possibly carry some bows like black rhino or maddog. Custom leather products such as arm guards and quivers i feel would be a nice addition as well. I also plan to stock some in house made items as well such as beaver balls(still cant believe the price on hair silencers) and other fur items being that i trap. Bowfishing is really big here so a few completed bow fishing setups should go quickly during the summer months. Ive also been getting into bow repair/refinishing so i may also try to pick up used older bows for cheap and redo them for sale in the shop as well.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 05:54:00 PM »
I dont have any expectations of making it rich or relying upon the shop as income but as i see it if i can make enough money to support my hobby then i consider it a success

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
Hoosierarcher, I THINK I read that you're in Greene county (squirrel hunting thread).  I'm in Owen county and would support your shop.  I can speak for a lot of other friends in that we feel like ducks out of water at the compound/crossbow shops often.  

Still, we prefer supporting them versus ordering online.  Even if the prices are higher, to a man, we will support a retail shop.  We traditionals, by and large hate to see some of the changes in the country, and want a local "spot" to gather and talk archery, hunting, etc.  Don't let any naysayers give you much pause.

Start smaller with a modest selection of superior goods/services and let the word get out.

It's a niche market.  That said, it's made up of guys that like to support like minded brick and mortar businessmen.  Best of luck.

Another thought, is selling string material, shafting, fletching, serving, etc for the independent do-it-yourselfers, which there are many amongst us.

Skychief.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 06:24:00 PM »
A fella in my town runs an archery shop out of his home. He does little to cater to traditionalist but I swing by on occasion for Platinum, GT nocks and RW feathers. These are some small Items you'll need to consider. Perhaps you can order feathers in bulk but make smaller quantities available to your customers. You could even poll the GANG as to what colors you could stock up on. Barred, Chartruese, Hot pink and white are my pics. Best wishes in your pursuit.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »
Skychief, yep in in greene county, bloomfield to be exact. I have a 12'x18' building here at the house that i am going to finish out the interior and add ac/heat(already has electricity ran to it). It should be good enough to get a start. If things go well enough i will eventually get a larger one put in along the lines of a 14×40 so it will fit right along side the house.

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
Sounds great. Do me a favor and drop me a message once things are initially set up and I'll do my best to drum up business for ya.

Best of luck, Skychief

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©