3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recommended 2 blade broadheads  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
Recommended 2 blade broadheads
« on: August 16, 2017, 10:05:00 PM »
Alright so i've decided that I am going to go with a 2 blade 150 gr  with 1916 shafts.

Bow is a high performance recurve that is 41# at my draw of 27".

What would you guys recommend for 2 blades in the 150ish gr category, more pointy less tanto tips.

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recommended 2 blade broadheads
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:26:00 PM »
A Zwickey Eskilite with a long "Sweetland" aluminum adapter weighs around 145 grains.  An Ace Standard 125 grain with a short 25 grain aluminum adapter will get you at 150 grains also.  If you don't want to mess with all that, a Magnus Stinger can be had in 150 grains.  I'm sure there are many more, these just came to mind.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 10:42:00 PM »
If you're looking for a screw in go with a magnus stinger or buzzcut

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 09:49:00 AM »
I'm a fan of Zwickey Eskimos 125gr. Depends on the arrows I'm using, some times I use a long alum insert and other times a 100gr steel insert. Been using them for over 30 yrs. I've tried other heads but always seem to come back to Zwickeys. Easy to sharpen, good flight, and not to expensive.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
Hard to beat a stinger
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 11:43:00 AM »
Look at Cutthroats from RMSgear. They are a great head.

As mentioned above you cant go wrong with the stinger either. I would not recommend the buzzcut though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 12:14:00 PM »
Im curious FerretWYO...

Can you explain your aversion to the buzzcut?

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
I'd go with the two blade stinger. I use grizzlies and really like them but those stingers are fool proof and because they have a more cut on contact tip they will out penetrate many others.
 The magnus stinger has a lot of pluses for the newbie: they come razor sharp, might be the best flying head available, basically you can screw them in and hunt with them without worrying about much.
To resharpen them simply touch them up on the wheel or Accu sharp.

Offline Kromer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
Double bevel- Magnus Stinger. Single bevel- Grizzly. Both have performed without fail for me.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
A very sharp one.......Ace, Eskimo, Magnus, and a host of others.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
I was just playing around with some 190 Ribtecs. The design of those tends to give them a clockwise turn going into my deer target.  So I put a few on some right wing fletched arrows and sharpened them with the Tom Mussato method using a file with two safety edges which allows a single file teeth cutting row of serration teeth and I leaned the the serration to cut into that same clockwise rotation.  I am going to shoot a deer with those.  if they can kill a deer a good as they killed my deer target, they will work.

Offline Ethan Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »
I really like the Magnus Stingers. I've had great success with them.
Focus and release

Offline KevinK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
Some really good suggestions above, except maybe the Stinger Buzzcut (explanation later). I think the better choice, if you are new and aren't sure about sharpening are the Stinger 150 grain, 2 blade (not buzzcut).

Schmidty3, here is the explanation, it is not mine as I am no expert. From "The Archery Bible" by Fred Bear page 73, right column, second paragraph:
"Serrated and sawtooth edges on a broadhead should be avoided. While they look wicked, actually the teeth fill with hair, tallow and tissue and thus impede clean cutting and penetration"

Others use them and say they produce good results though. FWIW Fred Bear also said to use 4-blade heads and stay away from 2 blades on the opposite page so YMMV.
Life can be complicated. Hunting shouldn't be.

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 09:54:00 AM »
I don't use two blades but if I did I would use a Simmons Tiger Shark . Not to hard to sharpen, 145 grains, flies great and cuts a pretty wide slot !

Offline DarrinG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 10:55:00 AM »
For someone who wants a sharp "out of the pack" head, the Stinger is tough to beat. If you have any sharpening skills at all, I'd go with the time-tested, time-proven Zwickeys. I cant quite understand guys buying heads that cost 2-3-4 times as much as the proven Zwickey. Then again, different strokes for different folks as they say.
Mark 1:17

Offline Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 01:51:00 PM »
125 Ace Standard with adapter will weigh 155 grains.  great head easy to sharpen and you won't find a head a better price.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline Carson81

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Surewood Shafts
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
I have always used Zwickeys for ease of sharpening, but I mounted up some ace this year and they appear even easier to get scary sharp.  Hair shaving sharp is the key, whatever you choose.

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
I really like my Cutthroat broadheads from RMSG.  They are a bit pricey but have an awesome warranty.  I already turned in 1 in for a replacement head.  Ken

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 05:19:00 PM »
I'm currently using Centaur Big Game Heads. They are big and do a great job on game.

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 05:38:00 PM »
A generous person sent me 6 Eskimos a while back, I just mounted and sharpened them on a new set of arrows for my wife.  She is very possessive when it comes to 'her' Zwickey Eskimos.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©