3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Recommended 2 blade broadheads  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Doug Treat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Recommended 2 blade broadheads
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2017, 05:39:00 PM »
Zwickey, Eskimo.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2017, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm another stinger guy for screw in set ups
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Drewster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
Any SHARP, cut on contact head that you can tune well for your shaft.  Sharp is the key.
Carolina Traditional Archers
North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline JApple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »
cutthroats...

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2017, 12:20:00 AM »
Anyone have experience with those tuskers?

Offline Frisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2017, 02:35:00 AM »
I shoot 45# @28" out of a fast Drake recurve. When I went to a 2 blade, I decided to try the single-bevel Grizzly. I've shot two deer with it with great results! With the poundage you're shooting, I'd go with the 125gr Grizzly and aluminum adaptors. It's pointier than the 160gr heads I use.

Joe

Offline KillerBee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2017, 12:13:00 PM »
Vpa penetrators for me. I have had really good luck on big boars with these heads. I shoot the 3 blade terminators for deer and the 2 blade penetrators in the same grain fly exactly the same and are east to sharpen. They are tough as hell as well.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
Cutthroats! Buy them and never look back. They are like tanks!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2017, 11:20:00 AM »
Badgers are pretty bomb proof.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 03:01:00 PM »
If you are concerned about penetration a Hunter's Head (now from Three Rivers) sharpened Mussato style has proven very effective for me for a number of deer.  I shot a deer with an original last year along a switch grass field. Normally I would go for a 150 wide Deadhead in that situation, but this one caught me by surprise.  A lost arrow pass through and the deer went down quickly and in sight with a gushing blood trail that I didn't need to follow. Of course, I was not using anything like a Holy Grail, just a 50@26 duo shooter JD Berry.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2017, 04:48:00 PM »
Kevin said,

Some really good suggestions above, except maybe the Stinger Buzzcut (explanation later). I think the better choice, if you are new and aren't sure about sharpening are the Stinger 150 grain, 2 blade (not buzzcut).  
 Schmidty3, here is the explanation, it is not mine as I am no expert. From "The Archery Bible" by Fred Bear page 73, right column, second paragraph:  "Serrated and sawtooth edges on a broadhead should be avoided. While they look wicked, actually the teeth fill with hair, tallow and tissue and thus impede clean cutting and penetration"    
We all revere Fred Bear but he was marketing his Bear Razorhead. Before that he was file sharpening Eskimo broadheads
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
Hard to say you got Mr.Fred saying serrated bad then you got Mr.Hill saying he only serrates his.

Offline JusAGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:
Kevin said,

Some really good suggestions above, except maybe the Stinger Buzzcut (explanation later). I think the better choice, if you are new and aren't sure about sharpening are the Stinger 150 grain, 2 blade (not buzzcut).  
 Schmidty3, here is the explanation, it is not mine as I am no expert. From "The Archery Bible" by Fred Bear page 73, right column, second paragraph:  "Serrated and sawtooth edges on a broadhead should be avoided. While they look wicked, actually the teeth fill with hair, tallow and tissue and thus impede clean cutting and penetration"    
We all revere Fred Bear but he was marketing his Bear Razorhead. Before that he was file sharpening Eskimo broadheads [/b]
Originally posted by Ari_Bonn:
Hard to say you got Mr.Fred saying serrated bad then you got Mr.Hill saying he only serrates his.
We're fortunate to have experts like Mr. LaClair, Mr. Bear and Mr. Hill to give us advice from the "real world".

Unfortunately, even the legends like those fellas don't always agree.
Southwest Archery "Spyder" recurve (lefty)
+35lb limbs
+"Nifty Fifty" 50lb limbs
Hunters Choice Bowstrings - props to Daniel!

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »
Broadheads have changed over the years since the days of Fred Bear and Howard Hill. There wasn't a manufactured head like the Magnus Buzzcut or the SteelForce or the out of production Raptor.

People made their own version like the LaClair Lacerator.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2017, 01:44:00 AM »
I have shot 48 deer with serrated broadheads and not once have I had the head choked with tallow or cover with more than one or two strands of hair.  I did find a rocky mountain head once that was covered with dry hair, under that was matted hair.   It was a full length 25 diameter easton shaft and missing one plastic fletch.  A couple hundred yards later I found a doe laying on the open field with the missing plastic fletch in the entrance wound.  Different heads have different benefits from one edge or the other, depending the metal hardness and the shape of the head.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2017, 06:58:00 AM »
There are several good heads on the market and you will get many opinions. I've always used Magnus II two blades. They always flew very well for me.

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2017, 07:33:00 AM »
I had to go to new heads this year due to bow change.
Based on all of the good things said here and other site, I have two packs of Magnus Stingers coming.
I sure hope that they are as sharp as claimed.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »
Remember the Wasp 3, 4, and 6 blade heads?  Now there was a broadhead.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2017, 10:32:00 PM »
I think I have tried most of the broadheads mentioned.  My preference is the Eclipse and Grizzly, they are both built solid.  I've have used them to take a critters from as small as a hun to as large as a moose and bison; Never had either of them fail.  I can't say that about some of the others that have been mentioned.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©