3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fist time hunter needing help on gear selection  (Read 656 times)

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
Fist time hunter needing help on gear selection
« on: August 20, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
This year I'll be hunting for the first time ever at 40 yrs old. I need help figuring out whats a priority and what's not.
What's on top of your list? Any help would be great

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fist time hunter needing help on gear selection
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 01:03:00 PM »
A place to hunt, a bow/arrow combo I shoot well, some type of camo, tree stand/ground blind/makeshift blind and a thermacell in the south. Permethrin treatment for clothes if you don't want ticks and redbugs. Picaridin for skin control of bugs. Snake boots if they are in your area. Flashlight and sharp knife.
shoot straight shoot often

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 01:05:00 PM »
Good topic and I am sure you'll get some feedback.
 I'd start with a good knife for when you are successful and a good compass if you plan on getting very far off the road.  And some good boots to help you get there.  :archer2:
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 01:07:00 PM »
Yeah, a decent property to hunt is really number one.
SWA Spyder

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
All depends on what you are hunting and where you are hunting.  And, i guess how you want to hunt.

Offline Boognish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 01:30:00 PM »
Well thanks Chuck.! lol
I'm hunting whitetail in Alabama btw...

Offline soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 01:34:00 PM »
Things I always have is something to check the wind, a decent flashlight, extra clothes if its cold, phone or some device to send for help if needed, a good knife and a folding saw. If hunting from a stand a fall restraint, and haul line. Some way to carry your gear. These are a must for me. Calls, rattling horns, etc... are extras to me. Things you can add if you want latter. If in remote areas you should add some survival tools. Fire starter, compass, map, space blanket. Your likely to get a lot of suggestions. You can tweak things as you go. Hope this helps. Have fun and be safe. Always let someone know where your hunting.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 02:41:00 PM »
Don't get to hung up on camo I kill almost all of my deer in green cargo pants from walmart and a plad shirt
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
Dont go all out buying stuff, just start with the basics and decide as you go what else you want.  And you dont need a big fancy knife, just something compact and sharp; in my opinion a smaller knife is safer
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Online wood carver 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »
If you're buying a pack, buy a fairly small one. If I carry a large pack, I always tend to stuff it full of things I "might need".
Dave.
" Vegetarian" another word for bad hunter.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 05:12:00 PM »
For knife i have always liked the shrade sharp finger(good blade, comfortable, fits well in the hand). Clothes if its warm just something that breathes well and is quiet, dont get caught up in big names or the latest greatest patterns. One thing i never skimp on is footwear, for me the right boots can either make or break a hunt. If your feet are uncomfortable then the rest of you is miserable. A simple pack is nice too and to me i prefer one with a hydration bladder so i can carry plenty of water.
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline CRM_95

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
If you already have a good bow setup then there's not a whole lot more you HAVE to have...but you can get all kinds of gadgets if you're so inclined. Like other folks mentioned a sharp knife. I may be in the minority but I normally just use the same pocket knife I carry every day for skinning deer, they're not hard to skin. I like a heavier lockblade or fixed blade for pigs. A compass or GPS if you get very far off the trails or roads. Cheap camo from Walmart has always done good for me, but I've shot a lot of deer in blue jeans and a t shirt. Other than that just whatever sort of stand you want to use, and I enjoy hunting out of homemade brush blinds as much as anything else. So you don't have to spend a fortune. Have fun and good luck!!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 06:01:00 PM »
Don't forget your cell phone, and be sure to make sure somebody knows where you are going and when to expect you to be back. GPS or some form of navigation (along with knowledge of it use) is also good. Some basic first aid stuff is useful.
Sam

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 06:18:00 PM »
Must have:  
  • a place to hunt
  • license/tags to hunt
  • ink pen to fill out the tags
  • weapon that is legal to hunt, well tuned, and that your proficient wth
  • time to hunt
  • appropriate clothing - seasonally appropriate, weather appropriate, and something that doesn't stand out.  It doesn't have to be fancy camo, but does need to generally blend.  If hunters orange is required, put it on.  I hunt as much in flannel shirts as I do high dollar camo.
  • Flashlight if walking in/out at dark - any that you already own is fine
  • A way to haul out the animal - cooler, truck bed, whatever works
  • A knife that cuts - any old pocket knife or kitchen knife will work in a pinch
  • means to get to/from the woods - I've hunted hundreds of times out of a 15+ year old Toyota Camry work car that I got for good gas mileage to/from work because that's what I was driving when I needed to hunt on the way home.  It's done well hauling out boned out meat over the years in a cooler that I literally keep in the trunk loaded with ice all fall long, barring the weekends when I move the cooler to the SUV.
Things that make it better:  
  • quality drop point skinning knife in good steel
  • quality camo/wool clothing
  • quality headlamp for the trek in to keep your hands free
  • treestands for deer in some areas, sometimes ground is better.  If in a stand a safety harness is a MUST.
  • quality, waterproof boots
  • quality binoculars
  • game calls appropriate for what your hunting
  • toilet paper...just in case
  • water and possibly a snack
  • Thermacell when the bloodsuckers are out
  • Small, self contained first aid kit...just in case
  • Cell phone to call in tagged animals with a GPS app with stand/blind/ambush locations tagged
  • friends and loved ones to share the hunts with
  • a good dog to share your time outside with
  • a good 4x4 truck or SUV

I prefer to hunt with arrows on my bow and binoculars on a chest harness.  All my other stuff goes in either my pockets, or if I'm bringing a snack and water in a SMALL fanny pack.  I don't like to be weighed down with all sorts of unnecessary junk.  What's above is basically my full load out year round, regardless of whatever animals I'm chasing.

The two biggest "luxury" items that I've spent money on have been binoculars and clothing.  Binoculars make it easier to hunt, scout, and watch other critters while waiting.  Quality clothing makes you comfortable even in poor weather conditions.  

As hunters, we locate, identify, track and stalk game with sight and sounds.  Quality binoculars improve vision in a way that can't be replicated.  On a budget I'd recommend the 6x or 8x Leupold Yosemites.  To get more optically speaking for a basic hunter's needs you'd have to spend A LOT more money.

An old quote is "There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing."  In a lot of ways this is true.  When your not comfortable you won't have a good time and being comfortable requires proper clothing for given conditions.  As seasons move on pick up what you can that's well made and versatile.  As the collection grows you'll find yourself able to hunt wider temperature ranges comfortably, wider wind conditions, various seasons, and various precipitation levels with ease.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 06:34:00 PM »
Try to find an archery club in your area to join, probably a 3d club somewhere near you, make some friends and see what they are using, depending on how much coin you do or do not want to spend the possibilities are endless!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 07:17:00 PM »
For deer in Alabama.  I am gonna guess 90% or more use treestands to hunt.  I would not skimp on something like that.  Always wear and use some sort of fall restraint device.  Any bow of say 40# or more is probably adequate.  Matching arrows with decent (and well sharpened) broadheads are needed.  Camo is not needed.  A flashlight a compass and a  sharp knife.  There you go (to start).

Offline danshao

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2017, 10:37:00 AM »
Good thread, very informative!

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
You probably need about half of what you think you need, but the one thing I wouldn't go without is a good first aid kit.  The only law you can always trust is Murphy's.  Best to be prepared.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
My opinion is you should always have have a basic survival kit with a way to treat trauma/ massive bleeding. Getting caught out over night is no fun and it's much more difficult with no provisions. Fire, shelter, water and a first aid kit are the priorities. Doesnt have to be a lot but something. Ask the people who have done it without. They never will be without again. Remember a slip with a knife or broadhead could put you in grave danger.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline BrianfromTulsa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2017, 08:58:00 AM »
I would think your first priority is to get a bow that fits you well (you really don't have to spend a lot of money) and learn to shoot it well.

get arrows to match and good (still doesn't have to be expensive) cut on contact broadheads.

then fill in with gear as you go.  Ask questions on this page as they come to you and you will surely get quality answers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©