3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My WY antelope hunt (Pic heavy)  (Read 798 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
My WY antelope hunt (Pic heavy)
« on: August 20, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
I just returned from WY and thought I would share my adventure. My hunt did not culminate in a harvest, but I had a great time nonetheless. I hunted a combination of private and public lands. I was hoping to hunt water tanks with a blind and/or use a ladder stand over a windmill water tank. As it worked out, there was so much rain that hunting water tanks or seeps would not have been unproductive. That said, I chose to hunt the pronghorn with an antelope decoy, and on private land, the use of a ground blind overlooking an alfalfa field. While watching the pronghorn enter and leave the private land alfalfa field, I noticed a row of round bales the antelope seemed to walk past. I placed my ground blind on the end of the round bale line in hopes that an antelope would walk past. Every day, and almost all day long, there were pronghorn in this alfalfa field. Most of the antelope would enter and leave the field from the north and back to the north.

Image of the tent setup

Image of the blind facing the alfalfa field

On the second day of season and while hunting the private ranch, I an antelope walked past my blind, within 10 yards, however, it was four minutes before shooting time. Ugh! The antelope trotted over to another doe who entered the field at the other end of the round bale line.

One of the does in the alfalfa field about 70 yards away.

During an afternoon scouting trip, I was driving along a stretch of Walk In Area (WIA). I stopped to photograph these two bucks. They were only 30-40 yards away and they began walking toward me. It immediately occurred to me that these bucks might be in the right mood for a stalk. I drove down the road to a location where there was a hill blocking my approach. I gathered my decoy, bow and began my stalk. The bucks noticed my approach once I topped the hill, behind the decoy. I approached them slightly obliquely and forward. They walked toward me. One buck began making a scrape and they both became very excited. I began moving toward them, as they had moved toward me previously, in hopes they would continue to approach, but then spooks ed and ran further out. I held my in hopes they would reproach. They ran off and the hunt continued.

While walking into my blind on the third day, I began my approach toward my blind an hour before legal hunting time. As I was approaching my blind, I noticed a low, guttural sound best described as a hum. It was a sound I've never heard in my life. As I continued my approach toward my blind, I noticed the sound/animal continued to follow me at a very close distance. At some point, I stopped and turned on my red lens headlamp. I could see nothing. I continued forward and entered my blind. The sound continued as the buck antelope (I presume) continued to make this low, guttural hum before moving on. I have done some research and found that antelope make basically four sounds: Snort, Snort-chuckle, Wheeze and Hum. I've heard a snort before, usually not a good experience.             :banghead:          

Here are a few more pics from my hunt:

Mule deer

And      

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My WY antelope hunt (Pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 06:57:00 PM »
A few more pics:

Although I didn't harvest an antelope, I had a fun & fulfilling trip,  which rejuvenated my soul!

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 07:09:00 PM »
Looks like a fun hunt. I shot a buck antelope at 13 yds from a stand underneath a windmill, but it had been dry that Fall.
Its fun to see animals at close range, so I can see where you had a good trip even without a shot.

BowMike

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 07:10:00 PM »
Looks like a fun hunt. I shot a buck antelope at 13 yds from a stand underneath a windmill, but it had been dry that Fall.
Its fun to see animals at close range, so I can see where you had a good trip even without a shot.

BowMike

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 07:12:00 PM »
Its fun to see animals at close range, so I can see where you had a good trip even without a shot!

BowMike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »
N/W Nebraska

I took two bows. My A&H longbow with woodies and my ILF with carbon arrows.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 08:58:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing.......it's always nice to see game even if there is no harvest. Beautiful country.   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »
Great hunt! Doesn't always have to end with a harvest to make it a rewarding experience.
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 09:09:00 PM »
Yes please don't tell me it's over keep it coming please I love these pictures
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »
Thanks, guys. It sure is beautiful country!  Hunting pronghorn with trad gear is a challenge to be sure!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 09:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Yes please don't tell me it's over keep it coming please I love these pictures
Ok, a few more.

I'm using my phone to post these now and for some reason it's only showing links to the images. Sorry. I'll see if I can convert them on my laptop tomorrow.

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your trip. Really nice pictures. Looks like a fun adventure    :thumbsup:  

Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline ztjohnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 10:29:00 PM »
This makes me want to make another trip to Wyoming..
Zach

Genesis 1:26 ; Acts 11:7

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 10:35:00 PM »
Nice story, pictures, and display of ethics. Good to see you enjoyed your hunt even without scoring.  

Thanks for taking the time to share it.

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 12:33:00 AM »
Awesome!

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 06:11:00 AM »
Great story and even better pictures-glad you think it was a worthwhile adventure-not always about inches.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 07:15:00 AM »
Thanks for sharing, I love to TRY to stalk those antelope, pretty hard with our equipment but a lot of fun.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
I felt like with each blown stalk that there should have been a lesson, or lessons, I should have been learning to be able to stalk within 20-30 yards. I tried going directly at them, moving at an angle but toward them and just showing the decoy in hopes the buck(s) would close the distance. Then, I remembered a conversation I had with the local game warden. He said that decoys can typically draw bucks within 75-100 yards, but they rarely tolerate anything closer. I certainly found that to be the case.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
Thanks for posting your story.

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 09:26:00 AM »
You need to stop hanging around those wardens. They can be a bad influence.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©