3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me out on Broadhead selection  (Read 419 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me out on Broadhead selection
« on: August 21, 2017, 05:08:00 AM »
So I'm debating between zwickey eskimos and zwickey no mercy for my broadheads this deer season. I have tried the eskimos years ago when I first started hunting trad but have never tried the no mercy. If I go with the no mercy, I will stick with the double bevel I think because I am not great at sharpening and I think out of a 50# bow on whitetail, penetration will be just fine. So what do you guys think I should go with?
Thanks

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
Re: Help me out on Broadhead selection
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 06:53:00 AM »
I'd do the single bevel no mercy personally. Proportions are more efficient and the single bevel will do better on bone impact. The mechanics of sharpening a single bevel are literally identical to a double bevel so in my opinion it's really not any harder or easier to sharpen. Use a jig or worksharp if needed to keep your angles consistent and that tool will help with all your other household knives too.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 07:22:00 AM »
A Zwickey Eskimo is among the finest broadheads made.  I was given a package of them 5 or 6 years ago and have really put them though the wringer.  I've killed 2 coyotes, 3 deer and a turkey with the same head.  The No Mercy is good I'm sure, but I don't think it's better.  Sometimes the toughest decisions are between 2 good options.      :goldtooth:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 08:18:00 AM »
I'd roll eskimo, same thing for all practical purposes and cheaper.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 08:54:00 AM »
I like trying a lot of different heads so I would go with the no mercy since you haven't tried them before.
Then try some three or four blades. I would never have switched from two blades heads if I hadn't tried snuffers and woodsmans. Now I mostly shoot three or four blade heads like the 4 blade muzzy phantoms and palmer extreme cuts.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 10:07:00 AM »
Either one will do just fine.  Nothing barring you from having a couple of each in your quiver.     :goldtooth:

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 01:25:00 PM »
Thanks guys! I took your advice Mint, I'm curious about the single bevel and whether or not it improves arrow flight so I pulled the trigger on some left bevel no mercy heads! Now to figure out how to sharpen them

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 04:47:00 PM »
Good luck sharpening the single bevel no mercy.  Let me know if you figure it out.  There's no straight, flat edge to sharpen on the unbeveled side since the metal fuses about a third of the way up, creating a lip.  Thankfully, if you struggle with it, you can just file it into a double bevel.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 04:58:00 PM »
No Mercy 4 blades would be my recomendation
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
When ever i am hunting where a hit deer will disappear into thick cover in a few yards and to get blood on the ground fast, I use either the wide Deadheads or a Herters four blade.  I like the sleeker angle of the bleeders on the Herters. While penetration and the distance a deer can go after the hit are variables, getting a bit more visible blood for trailing can be an advantage in certain situations.  To file sharpen the bleeders of a Zwickey, a broadhead arrow holder can help to get a better file stroke.

Offline mark Willoughby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2017, 08:47:00 PM »
All would work great I can only comment on the 2 blade double bevel no mercy . Every critter I've ever shot with one is as dead as  3 o clock
Never spend your money before you have earned it ,.... Thomas Jefferson

If you want something you've never had , you must be willing to do something you've never done ,... Thomas Jefferson

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 12:41:00 PM »
If you compare the Eskimo head and the Bear Razorhead, you will see they are very similar in shape. Both are a good head and have killed tons of game. No-brainer to me.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 09:56:00 PM »
I've never lost a deer hit with a Zwickey Eskimo. Or a Bear Razorhead, for that matter. I HAVE put a bunch of Eskimos into the dirt, rocks, trees... Easily resharpend and back in business!!! Also, mounting them horizontally, I've never had a problem with them wind planeing either! They fly exactly like my 125gr field points.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©