3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: b-55 vs fastflight  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
b-55 vs fastflight
« on: August 21, 2017, 05:11:00 AM »
I have always made my own flemish twist bowstrings using b-50 or b-55 but have been debating buying a fast flight string for my latest r/d glass bow. How much of a performance difference can I expect with fast flight over b-55? Is it noticeable?

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: b-55 vs fastflight
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 05:54:00 AM »
A lot will depend on which FF material you use and how you build it.  I see around 8-10 fps gain from a Dacron string to one of my strings built from Brownell Fury.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
8-10 fps is quite a bit, but certainly attainable, and that equates to 4-5# of bow weight, and that's a lot.

I probably don't  get as much with my D-97 strings, but I do get a noticeable increase in speed, AND the bow has less vibration/hand shock at the shot.

I shot dacron for years and was reluctant to convert, but having done so, I would never go back.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
There's not much comparison.  I used to be such a die hard user of Dacron (B-50 or B-55) and a customer of mine finally convinced me, after about a year, to try D-10.  And I've haven't looked back since.  

Faster, less vibration, don't need as many strands and it doesn't stretch much.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 01:23:00 PM »
Ok, if I buy an endless loop FF string, is there any reason I cant twist it a little to shorten it if its too long. Like you would do with a flemish twist?

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 01:43:00 PM »
I have twisted endless loop FF strings. Maybe just 1/2-3/4in but it is doable. Lately I have been getting my endless loop BCY X strings from Chad. Only one did I have to give it a twist or two. If you give him the correct length of your bow he can hit it dead nuts on. At least for me.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 04:19:00 PM »
ok Thanks guys

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 05:17:00 PM »
How much difference you get in performance depends on several variables, including:  How well the strings are made (better made will generally be a bit faster than poorly made), the mass weight of each (this can be affected by how much serving you use, what size serving, wax content, even the string material color--white or natural is the lightest), nock fit, your release, bow design, draw weight, draw length, arrow weight, tuning, how well the arrow is matched to the bow, etc. etc. etc.  8-10 fps is on the high end for most, but not out of reason.

For me, the performance difference isn't even in the equation.  I prefer the increased stability, consistency, and durability of a well made "ff" string. (some of which you will loose if you go with an extreme low strand count).

A properly made endless loop string will have some twist in it, and you can add or remove a few for length adjustment if needed--just not usually as much as you can with Flemish.

Of all the available materials, my personal favorite is BCY-X.  Dynaflight '97, 8125G, Mercury, and 8190 (F or Universal) are also very good.

Side note:  Materials made from SK90 Dyneema (BCY's materials include 8190 and BCY-X) won't be available much longer, at least not in the current blend.  SK99 Dyneema is taking the place of SK90.  8190 string material will be discontinued, BCY-X will be re-formulated to incorporate SK99.  Mercury is already made from SK99.  When current supplies are exhausted, that will be it.  The new BCY-X will likely be available around the first of the year, if not sooner.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©