3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Boxes?  (Read 764 times)

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Boxes?
« on: August 24, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
I buy and sell all the time and finding cardboard boxes which fit bows is next to impossible, unless you keep the original and is clean and reusable. Anybody have any solutions? How do others deal with this dilemma? On line, the generic sizes are for moving/packing and sold by the 100's.
Let it fly ->>------>

Re: Bow Boxes?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
I build my own from random pieces of cardboard on hand and common plastic packing tape.  

Not difficult and built to accommodate the bow with just the right amount of room to include bubble wrap, etc.

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
Go to a carpet store and get a few tubes they are throwing out.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:40:00 AM »
I go to my local "Archery" shop and get boxes from them, the boxes are from compound bows. Cut cardboard pieces to put between the end of box and the wrapped bow, to further protect now from any staples in box end.   If the bow I am shipping is a one piece recurve then I get 2 boxes and slide the second box over the first and tape them together with lots of clear packing tape. If a takedown then I cut the end off as needed to make a smaller box..again lots of clear tape and packing material.. I have done this at least 25 times and have not had any problems. Always pack a bow the way you would want to receive it..lots of bubble wrap, put string and limb bolts in a zip lock bag and tape it to the bubble wrapped bow. Boxing bows is never fun, it can be challenging at times..

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
I'm with Tony - I typically build my own to fit the individual bow (usually recurves so the tube don't work).  

Lowes or Home Depot will give you their appliance boxes free - all the cardboard you could ever need.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 12:12:00 PM »
I always build my own or save the package it was shipped in.

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 12:17:00 PM »
Google corrugated stock boxes ... there are several companies that provide many many sizes. Not as easy to get one piece boxes for recurves but take down bows can be put into sizes easily found in stock boxes. For one piece LB's I use paper cores you can get for free at any rug store or a corrugated box plant if you have one close by. I also use plastic pipe from Home Depot or Lowes.

I save all the interior packaging I get from deliveries to me so I always have bubble wrap, peanuts, and paper to stuff and protect my shipments.

Fortunately for me I was in the corrugated packaging business for 41 years and still have friends in the business who can make me custom boxes if I need them.

I have never had a complaint on bows I have shipped and I have packaged and shipped quite a few.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 12:19:00 PM »
Box is best I have read. This subject came up on another site. In a response the author mentioned round tubes roll off the convoy and get misplaced at times. He suggested if it's a tube ship it 2nd day air. Items are handled by hand rather than machines. This was way I shipped a LB and it got there 2nd day and in perfect shape.
Another bowyer said he used those triangular boxes from the PO. Put a couple together to ship bows.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 03:48:00 PM »
This is an excellent tutorial from the how to section on making boxes for shipping recurves.
 http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000125
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 05:21:00 PM »
First play hockey, second buy your hockey sticks on line and save the boxes   :)
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline stickandstring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »
I worked 27 years in a body shop. There was always plenty of cardboard. I would grab clean cartons before going to the dumpster. But, that is not available anymore and it has become a problem to sell a one piece bow.
Let it fly ->>------>

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »
I always save those boxes in the shop I shoot at. A company called uline  has some great corner protection too.  When bows arrive withose protectors, the bows arrive in perfect shape
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
All the boxes and bow tubes go into the rafters in the garage, if the bow gets sold then I already have a box handy.  Otherwise I would end up buying boxes and building what I needed.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »
Better get a box with one side big enough you can write address in giant letters. We are trying to track down a package "delivered" yesterday by the tracking number. Want to bet it's at the same number but wrong street.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 10:22:00 PM »
Go to your local home inprovement store. Get a refrigerator box and cut it down to transport home. Appliance boxes are of thicker cardboard. When home, custom cut and fold to fit your bow.

Avoid tubes.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Caboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »
Carpet tubes work great but are heavy and really drive up the mailing cost. In a pinch for longbows I have purchased a PVC down spout for 7 to 8 dollars and cut it to length. Light weight and small diameter for shipping. When I make a tube box from cardboard I make it in a triangular shape. Much more rigid for shipping than a square or rectangular box.

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 08:47:00 AM »
Originally posted by Caboo:
 When I make a tube box from cardboard I make it in a triangular shape. Much more rigid for shipping than a square or rectangular box.
:thumbsup:   yep, too easy!

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 09:24:00 AM »
Perfect timing on coming across this thread.  I've got a couple Great Northern Ghost recurves I need to box up and ship in a couple weeks.  I was wondering if 8" PVC pipe would work well too...just always leary on sending traditional one-piece recurves in the mail.
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 12:09:00 PM »
Round is the worst. I refuse to ship a bow in one and do not allow them if shipped to me.
Triangle is best

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 07:35:00 PM »

My HEAVY GUAGE Bow Shipping TUBES...Never had an issue with destruction.  If you buy a bow from me, you are going to get the best I can offer.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©