3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shopping for a new climber ...  (Read 1772 times)

Offline TX FLY CASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Shopping for a new climber ...
« on: August 26, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »
Anyone have ant suggestions for a new climber?

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shopping for a new climber ...
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2017, 10:21:00 PM »
Lone Wolf.

Offline babs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 01:38:00 AM »
Lone wolf or summit with open front design, summit for comfort and lone wolf for ease of packing flat.
Border tempest hex 7
Border tempest 25 hex 6.5
L.H.A Hayestani Combo 47lbs @28
Bob Lee camo dipped 47lbs @ 29
Bob Lee Heavyweight 50@29
Stewart 3pc Slammer. 45@28
Hoyt GMX & RCX 1000 limbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 05:17:00 AM »
I use a lone wolf too but summit is another good one.
Lone wolf is quieter, packs flatter.  Summit is more comfortable.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Will H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 07:42:00 AM »
Yep, what they said ^^^
Proud member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
       Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 09:03:00 AM »
LW--for big guys--like me

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 09:15:00 AM »
It depends on what you want - the Summit is MUCH more comfortable and MUCH cheaper.  The LW is easier to pack and is lighter to carry.  The LW sit and climb is nice - I personally thought the hand climber to be very uncomfortable to climb with though.  

The arm rests on the Summit can get in the way with shots to the side.  The Summit does bite the tree really well though.

Overall - they both have their merits, but for me, I chose the Summit and saved $200 over the LW.  The LW line in my opinion is ridulously over priced.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
For bowhunting I like the open designs better. For rifle use I like the sit and climbs better.

Summit stands are significantly more comfortable to me making them the better choice for long sits.  I know if I'm not comfortable I start to move and wiggle a lot. Plus it's just not as enjoyable to be out there when you get a little uncomfortable.

Lone wolf stands are more quiet, lighter, pack smaller, and I really prefer their strap adjustments because they are more quiet and more precisely adjustable. They are ideal for when pack weight and bulk matter or for going into places where you don't know what trees you have because they are more adjustable.  I like their platform and frames the best but Summit has the best seats.  While I like the LW stands I think their retail cost is a bit artificially high for what you get, especially when you consider they aren't super comfortable. They are extremely well made however and with some modifications can be made even better and more comfortable.

In an ideal world you could have both a lone wolf and summit.  If cash is limited you might could shop at the end of the season for like new, used stands. I'm into my LW and Summit for just about the cost of admission of a new Lone Wolf by buying them at half off after someone else tried them out for 2-5 hunts one season and decided to ditch the climbers.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Josh H

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
I, like many others, own both now. Open Shot Summit and lone wolf hand climber.

Summit is more comfortable without a doubt, but weighs more--and is much more cumbersome getting in and out of the woods.

Lone Wolf folds flat, and is much lighter, though harder for me to climb with without the additional length of the rails.

I'm hunting exclusively out of the LW for this season--but I bought a new seat for it (Fat Boy) and hopefully it will do the deed.

BTW, I bought the LW used online for less than the new open shot so it can be done.

Good luck with choice--you really can't go wrong.
Josh

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
Summit or Lone Wolf seem to be the 2 favorites on about every board I see this question asked.
SWA Spyder

Offline darin putman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 04:17:00 PM »
I have owned lone wolf sit and climb, and the hand climber also. Also owned and used a few of the summit stands and will not knock any of them as they all seem to get the job done, I still own a open shot but use my tree walker tree stand most now. Would recommend anyone looking for a stand to check treewalker out. I loaned mine to a friend looking for a stand and after using got him one also. There are several videos and reviews of them on line. Although not as easy to access as summit and lone wolf they seem to be a great stand.
Osage selfbow and Surewood shafts

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 05:55:00 PM »
no reason not to buy an XOP.  They're are made by the exact same guy that LW is made from, except at a much cheaper price.  I know this is due to the parts being imported and not all being made in America.  

For me, that really isn't that big of a deal.  But to some that is a deal breaker.

The XOP Strike force is probably my next stand.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 07:51:00 PM »
I bowhunt out of my LW hand climber and *** hunt out of my summit sit and climb.  I can sit from dark to dark in my summit, which is what I usually due for ***.  

My bow hunts at most last 5-6hrs, averaging about 4hrs.  I do thoroughly prefer climbing with the LW...it's lighter, the platform seems to bite onto my boots tighter for better control, it's much quieter, and seems more stable.  But it ain't got squat for comfort.  I wish the seat platform was just 2" longer so I could somewhat lean back a bit, but you get what you get.
"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 08:06:00 PM »
Im buying Lone Wolf not a copy by XOP.  I'm not supporting a company that steals another design.
T ZZZZ

Online Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 08:53:00 PM »
I really like my Treewalker, very comfortable and stable!
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline ptaylortx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 09:10:00 PM »
I've got an X-Stand sit and climb model headed this way but its delayed in Houston due to Harvey. It seemed the best choice for me. Light weight and an option for an open front. I'll give a review once it finally gets here.

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
Im buying Lone Wolf not a copy by XOP.  I'm not supporting a company that steals another design.
They didn't steal it!!  The creator and original owner of Lone Wolf Andrea D Aquisto. Sold Lome Wolf a few,years back. Then later started XOP that his son now operates with the same designs (his).

Offline mississippidude

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 10:33:00 PM »
I choose comfort over anything, summit it is.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2017, 11:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by tracker12:
They're made by the exact same owner. He sold LW and not makes XOP's.  So is that technically a copy?
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2017, 10:17:00 PM »
Really have found nothing "for me" that is more stable , bowhunter "Longbow" friendly than my Lone Wolf hand climber ....

I've hunted and killed a few critters from a few different portables , and tried several different climbers ....The Lone Wolf always has me feeling safe and secure on one of the most stable platforms on the market .....
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©