3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What's your favorite broadhead & why...??  (Read 1379 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
What's your favorite broadhead & why...??
« on: August 29, 2017, 10:10:00 PM »
My all time favorite, is the old green Bear Razorhead!!!
They were the first broadheads I hunted with back in the 1970's and I've killed a bunch of deer with them! Sadly, they're no longer made, but I've got about 20 of them mounted on our "Deer Hunting" arrows. HOWEVER... A very close second (almost a tie!) is the 125gr Zwickey Eskimo!!!!! I have never seen a broadhead take more of a beating, than the ones I have in my arrow building box! They have been shot into dirt, rocks, trees, stumps... Resharpend and shot some more!!! Some are almost 20 years old. When my supply of Razorheads runs out... I'll be using those Zwickey Eskimos untill they spread my ashes on the mountain.
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What's your favorite broadhead & why...??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 07:01:00 AM »
Let me jump in!
My favotit broadhead is the Big Jim vpa 3 blades 300grs because:
It flies awesome, it is easy to sharpen, and it does great terminal damage. And it weight in at 300grs!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 07:54:00 AM »
Id love to try those big jim three blades but theyd have to be heat seeking for me to pay that kind of price for broadheads

Online Bow man

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »
Ace,  tough, sharpen easy, fly great get the job done time after time. And the price is right.
Compton Life Member
PBS QRM

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 08:29:00 AM »
I will second the ACE.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
I am with woodchucker on this one, but I don't have a supply of razorheads. Also, I have a few Magnus points.
Sam

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 08:48:00 AM »
There are many very good broadheads out there and over the years I have used most of them, Zwickey, Ace, and Magnus to name a few.

The head I keep coming back to and is my favorite is the 160gr STOS, easy to sharpen,and tough as they come.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jason Hansen

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
Wensel Woodsman Elite 175gr.  They are solid one piece steel and sharpen up well and fly nicely!
“That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected is an extension of ethics.”
― Aldo Leopold

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 09:40:00 AM »
VPA 3 BLADES!...I've used multiple weights in the screw ins and glue ons.

Tough heads, made very well, and I can sharpen them super easy.

Zwickey have a special place in my heart though
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
I love my vpa 3 blades but I'm gonna try some grizzlies this year to get ready for my hog hunt in January!
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 12:02:00 PM »
Zwickey Delta 4 blades....too many kills over the last 30 years and over 100 kills...

Went on a tear(before TX) here in GA with a 33 yard recovery rate on deer for over 25 years.

Had the same great results on hogs....

No ONE SHOT ONE KILL PICTORIAL from me...but 3 decades of kills....including one night of taking 2 bucks and one doe in 13 minutes...yes, it was legal.

Why?  Cause they work...they are tuff....they are 4 blades and produce more blood on the ground ( I know some will argue but you wont convince me, I"ve been on too many blood trailings with all sorts of heads and I know what I saw, a slit will not bleed like a hole no matter how you spin it...see which leaks most, a slit or a hole in an oil can)...the bleeders are just enough to make them bleed more and cause more damage...but not enough to impede penetration.  If they impede penetration, you hit the wrong spot and there is no guarantee any head will penetrate a bad spot.  Remember, a man once shot a polar bear with one, and he didn't see the other bear behind it.....and his one shot killed BOTH....so don't go telling me they wont make two holes if you do your job.

They also cause more damage...making the animal sicker quicker and making them lay down sooner.

They HOLD AN EDGE....I've shot deer in a bean field and knocked the dirt off a pass through and could have shot them again.

Durable...I killed 14 deer with one head...and retired it after almost loosing it on a TX hog.  Never had a quality issue with them. and never had one 'come apart' like some claim and again...been shooting them for over 3 decades.

Some folks talk about how good their broadheads fly... all broadheads will fly if your equipment is tuned and your broadhead is mounted properly and you have good form... and good form is Paramount... it doesn't matter what kind of Broadhead you have if your form is no good or your equipment is not tuned.

And I have killed some great animals with wide 2 blades...and 3 blades....it was hard for me to try them due to the track record I had for so long with the 4 blades....There are some great narrow 2 blades on the market as well for animals I don't chase...or needed with the bow weights I use.

As they say you got a dance with the one that brung ya... and she's still looking good.

Sorry...you asked...and that's my rant               :goldtooth:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 12:53:00 PM »
Of all the heads I have used...really not that many (Zwickey Eskimo, Ribtek, Snuffer, Grizzly)...I would have to saw Ribteks actually.

They are tough, well made, easy to sharpen, easy to mount...can mount on wood shaft without glue in a pinch if needed...hold edge good.

This is the one head I can get really sharp with nothing but a small bastard file...then put a thin coat of vaseline or vegetable oil on blade edges and they dont oxidize in our humid weather. Tough as nails....

I really liked the Zwickeys but had two that the brazing between ferrule and blades came loose so lost confidence.

The three blades I really only use for turkey and sometimes hogs....

The two blades have been my favorite....and was lucky enough to buy a bunch of Ribbies from Australia before the supplies dried up.  Have sold and given a lot of them away but still have 3-4 dozen remaining I guess of the 190s and some of the 160s too.

I really like the Grizzly heads but not as adept at sharpening that single bevel in field....love his INSTINCT but may move over to his double bevel head in future when I run out of Ribteks.

Ribbies all the way for me....  Once I find something I like and that I have confidence...I tend to stick with it.

Good luck.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 01:22:00 PM »
300 Xtreme 3 blade. Too bad they are not made anymore but I have enough to last me until I die.   :goldtooth:
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline JPE

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 03:20:00 PM »
tater; the only problem with STOS is they are out of business. If you need some I still have a few in stock

Offline BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 03:49:00 PM »
Magnus stinger hands down! Why, because they are super sharp and tough. They also fly great.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
Jim,
 Thanks for the heads up on the STOS.
 I have 2 1/2 dozen, that should last me a long time,

Pat
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 04:12:00 PM »
I never tried magnus Stingers they came out probably after I'd killed 80 animals or so... they never even existed back when I was slaying them left and right with Zwickeys. I hear they are great little precision heads....but a little light on the hardware for me and my arrow spine.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 04:25:00 PM »
Another Razorhead fan here, because that's what Fred used.    :)

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »
I like Ace, Grizzlies, Tuskers,  Wensel Woodsmens,  Mangus and Zwickeys
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©