3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rain Gear  (Read 819 times)

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Rain Gear
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
Looking for opinions on rain gear. I was a huge fan of Peter Storm years ago, but for situations with more than minimal activity you could work up quite a sweat in them.
Opinions?
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rain Gear
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 09:57:00 PM »
Firstlite stormtight tops and bottoms buy once and be done little pricey but worth ever penny IMO!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
I went with Kuiu rain gear.   Same idea though, pretty pricy but worth the money.

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
I have both Kuiu Chugach and Yukon sets and it has been bomb proof,the Yukon is overkill for all but Alaska and the Pacific Northwest.
What ever set you get look for pit zips to dump body heat.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jayrod:
Firstlite stormtight tops and bottoms buy once and be done little pricey but worth ever penny IMO!
X2

I have the vapor top and storm tight bottoms, and they are both great pieces.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:19:00 AM »
But do they let you breathe and not sweat while keeping you dry?

I have Peter Storm also and they are great but like Yukon chuck said, you would build up quite a sweat in them.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »
My past experiances over the years has been, rain gear will make you sweat, period!!! I work outdoors, all year, in all weather. On occasion, I do wear rain gear. In the morning when I'm done, I'm usually just as wet with it, as I would have been without it.
When hunting, if the weather is nasty, I wear wool. If it's raining so hard, that I NEED rain gear, I use an old Camo military poncho. Put it on, take cover, wait it out...
Just one old fart's oppinion!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
Some of you must hunt in the rain a LOT to validate a set of clothes that cost close to $1000.  Especially since rain gear is uncomfortable in non-rain situations.  I hunt in the rain, but if it's rain beyond what normal rain gear can handle, then it's too much for me to hunt in.  I have "Rain Suede" from Cabelas that i bought on sale in the off-season and have never had issues with it, in fact it's performed great.

Now, for the bass boat - my gear is top notch because I will be on the boat in some absolute awful weather.  But it's loud and hot if it's not raining.  I can't even fathom wearing something similar in camo for hunting.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Tucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
Helly Hansen Impertech- lightweight, stretchy, durable, inexpensive compared to others.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mint:
But do they let you breathe and not sweat while keeping you dry?

I have Peter Storm also and they are great but like Yukon chuck said, you would build up quite a sweat in them.
I haven't put mine through the ringer yet, so I can't really comment on that. I just got my gear last winter. I was fishing this summer and a storm blew in. I just happened to throw my FL rain gear in, and I was dry and very comfortable the whole time. Maybe next year I will make it to the Rocky's again for a hunt and I will put it to the test.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jayrod:
X3

If you hike in 4 miles to set base camp and it's monsoon season rain is just part of the equation. Last January I hunted cours deer for four days and we had about 60 hours of rain in thise four days. I stayed dry in the FL gear. SEAK jacket and Stormtight pants.

Offline LongbowArchitect

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
I've been using Kuiu Chugach rain gear for 3 years and find it works very well when I'm sweating like a pig. Check out this article on comparing some of the most popular rain gear:

http://www.rokslide.com/gear/clothing/269-let-it-rain-light-weight-rain-jacket-shootout

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 08:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by J. Cook:
Some of you must hunt in the rain a LOT to validate a set of clothes that cost close to $1000.  
I wear my rain gear all winter in bad weather and while moving snow,it's worth every penny for me but if I just used it a few weeks a year hunting it would hard to justify the expense.

Offline Joe2Crow

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 08:42:00 PM »
The Sitka gear with gore-tex is pretty good.  It's pricey as well but if you know a Gore employee (like my fiancee)  you can get it for 40-50% off. That makes it almost reasonable, almost.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
My past experiances over the years has been, rain gear will make you sweat, period!!!
When hunting, if the weather is nasty, I wear wool. If it's raining so hard, that I NEED rain gear, I use an old Camo military poncho. Put it on, take cover, wait it out...
Yep, sounds about right.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline yukon chuck

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2017, 05:33:00 PM »
Thank you to all that have responded. I'm leaning toward FirstLite, but will mull it over a bit more.
>>>--TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Longbow Association
Yucketsville Buffalo & Cricket Association

"Always be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle". -Plato

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2017, 05:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
.... If it's raining so hard, that I NEED rain gear, I use an old Camo military poncho. Put it on, take cover, wait it out...
Just one old fart's oppinion!
What he said
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 07:06:00 PM »
I've had good luck with cabelas MT050. I have used in the mountains of Wyoming, Illinois prairie, Piedmont of North Carolina and swamps of Louisiana. Good stuff and tuff.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 10:53:00 AM »
I just put my Cabelas MT050 to the test with Hurricane Harvey.  I must say that I was very pleased with it after using it for several days in a row.  I did get a bit damp, but I was paddling a canoe with heavy loads for several hours.  The fabric seemed quiet as well.

Offline Jesse Minish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 01:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by J. Cook:
Some of you must hunt in the rain a LOT to validate a set of clothes that cost close to $1000.  Especially since rain gear is uncomfortable in non-rain situations.  I hunt in the rain, but if it's rain beyond what normal rain gear can handle, then it's too much for me to hunt in.  I have "Rain Suede" from Cabelas that i bought on sale in the off-season and have never had issues with it, in fact it's performed great.

Now, for the bass boat - my gear is top notch because I will be on the boat in some absolute awful weather.  But it's loud and hot if it's not raining.  I can't even fathom wearing something similar in camo for hunting.
First Lite stormtight pant $250, Stormtight jacket $300= $550 Thats money well spent when I am miles in the back country away from my truck or camp and a nasty storm rolls in plus I wear mine fishing and all kinds of other activities. I have used less expensive rain gear and I believe there is a huge difference.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©