3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Rain Gear  (Read 818 times)

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Rain Gear
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jayrod:
Firstlite stormtight tops and bottoms buy once and be done little pricey but worth ever penny IMO!
X2

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
First off, if it is raining hard I do not hunt.  It is difficult to shoot an accurate arrow if your arrow rest, feathers, and shooting glove are wet.  In addition, tracking is pretty difficult when rain is washing away the blood.  That said, I really like rain bibs with a quality rain jack like Sitka over the top.  Rain bibs are nice because you don't get water seeping like sometimes happens with rain pants.  Yes Sitka Gear is expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Muttly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 06:50:00 PM »
Waiting it out is great if the climate allows that, and personally, it,s what I would prefer to do. Worked fine when I lived in Anchorage, moving to SE Alaska a few years, that idea went bye bye fairly quick.
At this point, at work alone ( run fuel truck), I have FR raingear, spare FR raingear, Grundens for when the not so waterproof raingear is gonna soak through in the first fifteen minutes.

Out in the woods tried a Mtn Hardwear jacket with e-vent, does all right-ish..Wearing a pack is rough on the DWR coating.. Spent a LOT more than I wanted to on Arcteryx Beta AR pants. So far, two years into it, in some fairly nasty weather and terrain, the pants are cooler, more comfortable than the jacket. And have proven to be a LOT tougher than they look. Plan on picking up a Beta AR jacket this fall. Do some snoopin around and find stuff on sale, you can save some bucks.
Downside, besides expensive, is loud. But if the wind is blowing and the rain is comimg down, it ain,t real silent in the woods anyhow.

Did pick up a little First Lite stormlight jacket this summer, light, waay packable, so far, keeeping the water out. Great to throw in a pack.

Most of this stuff costs a lot more than I really want to pay, but living in a rain forest, it pretty much comes down to buying one less bow or one less rifle and actually being able to get outside, rather than waiting, and waiting, and waiting, for the weather to clear up.

Offline rich k

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2017, 10:59:00 AM »
I agree with Woodchucker. Has worked for me. Wool pants with gaiters and a poncho - just pick a spot to sit and cover yourself and your bow with the poncho. Plenty of ventilation. If it is really wet and expect more rain I might use rain pants.Poncho breaks up my outline well.
"Aim at squirrel - miss squirrel. Aim at squirrel's eye - hit squirrel's head"  Native American expression.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »
Kuiu Yukon rain gear. Pricey but incredibly effective. Breathable and not terribly loud compared to others I tried.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©