3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Goliath Rising  (Read 1621 times)

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Goliath Rising
« on: August 31, 2017, 06:00:00 PM »
Early Bow season in Southwest Mississippi is a balmy, hot affair. If a fellow wants to hunt the swamps, one must deal with mosquitoes, knats, deer flies, spiders, ticks, red bugs, cotton mouth moccasins, rattle snakes, copperheads, alligators and leeches, just to name a few. Thus it was several years ago that I found myself early one evening in a hide along the banks of the Homochitto river. It is an unusual river. Dominated by high banks and sandbars that give way to thick swamp, the Homochitto snakes its way through several southern counties to empty into the Mississippi just  a few miles from my location. 60-100 yards across in most spots, it ranges from shallow sandy bottom where you can wade across without getting your knees wet, to dark, swirling pools as deep as 30 feet. It’s reputation is that of a killer, and rightly so, for I cannot easily count the lives lost to it over the years. I was raised on the river, swimming, fishing, hand grabbing and hunting. For us it was not something to be feared, just understood and respected. Most of its victims are inexperienced or weak swimmers lured into the inviting shallows and then swept into deep water by the deceptively strong currents.                        To approach my hide, I had come in several hundred yards up stream, slipped quietly into the water and drifted down with the current. I then slipped up the bank and into my hide. While this results in being wet, it also results in a very quiet, scent free entry without disturbing the area. You will be wet either way. Better to be wet from river water than sweat. Just have to be careful of your feathers, but it's not hard to keep them and you bow above water. My view was a wash, a thin, narrow, sandy place where high water and current had cleared a lane during last years flood. About 70 yards long and 10 yards wide, knee high broom straw now grew in the wash. My hide was a clump of willow trees on a small mound between the river and the wash. The river at my back, and thick swamp across the wash, one might wonder why a hunter would choose such a place covered with nothing but in-edible broom straw? Simple, it's a funnel and the easiest way for an animal to travel from the safety of the bedding cover to the rich crop fields a few hundred yards up river. And travel it they did! That wash was a veritable interstate of the swamp. Interestingly enough, the whole pallet and landscape, or swampscape if you prefer, will have changed by the next year. This whole area is in flux from year to year due to flooding. The wash may be  under 10 feet of sand and the river channel 200 yards from where it is now. It was about 4 pm by the time I settled in and the parade started almost immediately. I could see the deer making its way up the wash. It was a yearling, no spots. Could I be so lucky as to have a yearling doe come by? I could already taste the fresh, tender backstrap! Upon closer inspection, the little knots indicating a button buck were clearly visible. Oh well, I never tire of watching deer and this was a good opportunity to sharpen the Indian. As he worked his way past at about 12 yards, I came to full draw and held, focused on a small area behind his shoulder. I held a few seconds and eased the bow down when his head was in the broom straw. I smiled to myself and the little buck went his way, none the wiser. An otter appeared a few yards away in the river, frolicking and just generally doing what otters do. I so love watching them. A family of coons came next. One came right up in the hide within feet of me. It was an older sow and she quickly noticed something amiss, namely some joker hiding in there with a sharp stick. She un ceremoniously gathered her clan and spirited them away from that lowlife. An hour passed. I could hear my uncle Buds 4wheeler in the crop fields a few hundred yards away. I could soon hear him begin beating and banging on something. I love my uncle Bud, but a more mechanically un inclined person has never lived. A smile crossed my lips, I did not know what he was doing, but I did know he doing it wrong. I was still pondering what Bud was tearing up, and I'd ultimately have to fix, when a broken stick back in the thick brush jarred me to attention. I strained my ears for more clues. It was skirting the wash, staying in the heavy brush. This went on for some time, only the slightest noises. Deer sound like this, mature deer.  I don't know how he got there, but he was just suddenly, there. 30 yards down by the end of the wash stood Goliath!!! I could scarcely believe my eyes, it had now been over a year since anyone had seen him or gotten a picture on trail cams. I figured old age had claimed him. My excitement was soon tempered by a sad reality. He had skirted the wash, staying out of sight and going the opposite direction of the deer and coons. He was past me, out of range and headed away from me. Instead of traveling from the bedding area to the crop fields, he was going into the bedding area. Figures! Goliath had been making a monkeys backside out of me for three years now! He had an arrogant, confident swagger like he was un touchable and king of the swamp. Right about then, I tended to think maybe he was!..... to be continued.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline doubleo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goliath Rising
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 06:23:00 PM »
Great story and good luck hunting Goliath!
Wisconsin Traditional Archers Member

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:32:00 PM »
Not related to this hunt, but this pic was taken in the field where Bud was beating on the old tractor a few hundred yards upstream of my location. I included this photo to give the reader an idea of the landscape and character of the Homochitto river.    
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline Chad Orde

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 06:38:00 PM »
Beautiful picture
-------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/@Island_Drifter

https://www.instagram.com/island__drifter/

Failure is the condiment that gives success its flavor. Truman Capote

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:14:00 PM »
Another pic of river I found.  

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 11:13:00 AM »
Lol, I tried, when it posted, it converted to what you see.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 11:38:00 AM »
"try using paragraphs"  HAHA!!

I hope you get to meet him face to face!  

I look forward to more story!
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 01:19:00 PM »
Someone must have deleted the english teachers grade   :laughing:    :nono:

Great beginning to the adventure!
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 02:47:00 PM »
Really am enjoying this so far! keep it coming! Reminds me of growing  up around the Congaree River here in Columbia.

Offline mississippidude

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 09:42:00 PM »
I am looking forward to the rest of the story!

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 10:49:00 PM »
Old boar hogs, much like old men, often grow more eccentric with age. Goliath was a case study in this theory. He did his own thing, in his own way, in his own time. He acted more like an old, mature buck than a hog. My uncle Bud actually gave him the name Goliath about three years prior. We were way back in the swamp looking for a lost calf. It was late morning. As we passed a greenbrier thicket, a sow and several piglets exploded from right under us. This was a startling experience, and the sow actually made a bluff charge. Now I knew she was bluffing to give the piglets a chance to escape. Bud did not. It was a most interesting little scene. They were about 10 yards apart. Two bluffers, one didn't want to fight, the other one glad of it. The sow was nervously standing her ground, hackles up and grunting feverishly. I'm still not real sure what uncle Bud was doing. Uncle Bud at this time was about 6’5, 250lbs and in his late 60s. He had one foot outstretched in front of him, the other outstretched behind him. His torso was twisted to squarely face the sow, both arms raised above his head in a clawing motion and he was hollering Hhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! at the sow. This went on a few seconds before the sow broke the stalemate by wheeling around and retreating. She disappeared like common sense at the dept. of motor vehicles. We walked on about another 400 yards to the edge of a field, and there he was, just easing back into the woods about 80 yards across the field. He was enormous, old, and had his unique swagger even back then. Being a listed hog, he was mostly tan with black spots.  Bud looked at me and said, “that was one Goliath hog!” For the next 2 years I was after that hog. I saw him only a couple of other times and he would turn up on trail cameras now and then. Then he just disappeared……. Until now!

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
:campfire:

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 12:15:00 PM »
Sitting here drinking    :coffee:   waiting for more

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 01:42:00 PM »
Loving it so far, these stories are a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing.
Steve Jr
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 03:05:00 PM »
I was rattled… and that's just all there is to it. The appearance of Goliath had transformed a simple sit in the hide to something completely different. My mouth was dry, my heart was racing. I wanted that pig! He was right there, out of sight now, but I knew he was still just 50 or so yards away.  I sat there contemplating the next move. Part of me wanted to stay in the hide and hope he came back through. Part of me wanted to circle around and get in front of him. He knew the swamp like the back of his hand, or hoof. I did too though, and that is ultimately why I left the hide, eased to the edge of the water and ran down the sandy edge about 200 yards and hastily set up under a willow with low hanging branches. After some thought back in he blind, I concluded that he was likely headed down river about 300 yards to a wide, shallow spot to cross the river. The banks here were gentle and it was only a few inches deep all the way across. I knew the place well. The many tracks there indicated it was the preferred place to cross in this area for wildlife. He was not alarmed, so I was fairy confident that I was in front of him. My biggest concern now was darkness. The shadows were growing long. Goliath was headed my way. Question was, would he appear before it got too dark to shoot?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
Whatcha do, Whatcha do, ah????   :eek:

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 03:15:00 PM »
Now you will have to ignore the deer and the boat, they are not related to this story. This is however, the place where critters like to cross the river and where Goliath was headed. This pic was taken a few years after this story took place, but it's still similar to how it looked then.  

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 04:11:00 PM »
Did he get past before I got here? Did I spook him trying to get in front of him? Did he not come this way at all? Was he right at this very moment, out in front of the blind I had just  abandoned frolicking and laughing at me? These are the doubts that were filling my head as the last rays of light were quickly fading. Did I have time to get back to the blind? No, too late for second guessing now. This was the hand I'd chosen to play. It soon became that time of evening where day gave way to night and the deepening shadows turned every stump and clump of brush into the hog I so desperately wanted them to be. It got dark. I stayed there heartbroken and out of sheer desperation. I could still barely see a little place right in front of me that was a tiny wash. Ten minutes went by. The tiny wash was still somewhat visible because of its light color. I had reluctantly decided to ease out. I had took account of all my gear and slipped my small,  red lensed flashlight into my hand. I took one more desperate look around before I stood up and slipped out. Had that large dark clump in the corner of the wash been there before? I stared at it for a long minute. I had just about decided it was nothing, then the clump moved.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
What an emotional roller coaster hunting can be. In a matter of seconds, one can go to from a numb dejection, to a heightened sense of awareness and excitement where time almost seems to stand still. Despite my emotional rollercoaster, make no mistake, I was all business. My whole world was that huge, dark blob 15 yards away and swaggering towards me. This was my chance and I was going to make the most of it. Now I'm a fanatical spot picker. All through the day I'm picking spots on everyone and everything around me. It was too dark to pick spots. As he swaggered by at 10 yards, all I could see was a dark form against the lighter wash. I came to full draw naturally and despite the darkness, my subconscious gave my brain the ok and the string slipped from my fingers. The heavy arrow flashed across the small distance between us. I could not see it, but heard it slice into the pig. Goliath let out a guttural HUH! It sounds almost like a cough. Now being fluent in hog, I understood what he had said. Loosely translated, it means, “What the heck!!!”.  Goliath had lurched forward toward the river and disappeared into the thick willows at the edge of the sandbar. I excitedly jumped up and raced to where he had disappeared, hoping to see him crossing the open sandbar and river. The lighting here was far less dark than back in the thickets and I could see the whole 200 hundred yards across the sandbar and river. To my surprise, there was no sign of Goliath. My excitement mounted! There's no way he had got across that fast. He had to be dead somewhere right close by! I was soon to discover that Goliath was indeed right close by, but far from dead.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »
it's been too long since we had a story like this.  :campfire:     :coffee:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©