3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Goliath Rising  (Read 1620 times)

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goliath Rising
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
Uh oh
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
Hogs are very smart animals. They are one of the few wild animals that I believe have the ability to understand the concept of revenge. Back when we caught pigs with dogs, we built a very sturdy 1/2 acre hog pen for dog training. We caught this one boar about 250 lbs and rank as they come. Uncle Bud had aggravated that hog quite a bit before we released him into the pen. That boar despised Bud with a special passion. Other people could walk to the fence and he'd back into a corner and glare at them. If Bud walked up, he'd start violently charging the fence. That hog would have weaved between other men, just to get to Bud. By the time this story took place, I had caught hundreds of hogs, killed many with traditional bows and generally fooled with them for many years. I had been cut, run over and charged by numerous hogs. I can honestly say no hog had ever really scared me. When I first heard Goliath rustle the brush a few feet to my right in the willows, I was concerned, but not really scared. I froze and slowly turned my head. As I peered into the shadows, I could see him lying there on his belly with his legs under him. I was relieved. I thought he was down and dying. A very cold shiver ran down my spine when he rose to his feet, squared himself to me and began popping his teeth. He was just feet away and glaring at  me like I owed him some money. For the first time in my life, I was really scared of a hog. If he would have just charged, I don't think it would have been as scary. It was the suspense and having the time to think about the fix I was in. I stood utterly still. There was nowhere to go. We were right on the banks of the river, the water only a few feet across a small strip of sand. But it was shallow and would do me no good. If there were deep water near, I'd have went for it. Hogs need their feet under them to really be dangerous, and deep water works against them. There was a small willow to my left that might get me 4 feet off the ground. That's actually high enough if I could get to it, and my only real option. I had another arrow nocked and my fingers on the string. I did not think about doing this, it was all just instinct and habit. I expected a charge. It did not come. My memory of what I did next is strange, it's almost like someone else was doing it and I was watching. Yes, I was scared, but still all business. I drew and released in one quick motion, the heavy arrow slipped right under his nose and buried in his chest. He came for me immediately.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »
i'm sure it's against forum rules to leave people in such suspense  :readit:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
Originally posted by ozy clint:
i'm sure it's against forum rules to leave people in such suspense   :readit:  
Lol, not intentional my friend. I'm actually trying to finish before I go back overseas for 10 days. Here's a pic of the swamp where Bud and the sow had their stand off and near where we first saw Goliath. It is over a mile upriver from where we are currently in the story.    
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 10:34:00 PM »
What a great story so far!  Thanks for sharing.  Looking forward to the rest of the story.....and pictures.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 10:41:00 PM »
:readit:

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 04:43:00 AM »
Fear is an interesting emotion. It can only exist in two places. The anticipation before an event occurs, and the reflection of an event that has already occurred. It cannot exist in the event itself. This is not to say that some people cannot get so paralyzed with fear that they fail to even react to the event at all.  When I let slip that second arrow, the event began and my fear was gone. It was replaced by a delicious excitement and focus that is hard to explain. Time does seem to slow. Memories of these situations are vivid. Even now as I write this, years later, my pulse quickens at the memories and powerful emotions rise within me.  As soon as that second arrow struck home, I was already tossing the Thunderchild aside and making a break for the willow. It would be a very close race…… or so I thought.

Offline TradBrewSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 08:33:00 AM »
:campfire:

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2017, 08:37:00 AM »
Was it a vine? A root? Cypress knee maybe? To this day, I still don't know what tripped me. I lunged forward trying not to fall, but went down hard on my belly. Goliath was on me instantly. A searing pain shot through the calf of my left leg followed closely by another near my left shoulder blade. I had instinctively turned my head to look back. Out of the corner of my eye, the sight of his gaping mouth and cutters appeared. His slimy, bloody snout hit me squarely on the temple like a punch. The momentum of the charge carried him past me a few feet, and by the grace of God, over a small sand shelf at the edge of the sandbar. These shelves are the result of water fluctuations and can be a few inches, or several feet tall. This one had about 2 feet of drop, just enough that Goliath could not easily get back up it. It ran parallel to the river for some distance. Goliath had ran right over me. In the process, he had stepped on my calf muscle and on my back. He tried to bite me in the face as he went over me, but thankfully, his snout had knocked my head out of the way of his cutters. I was still on my belly, hands under me in the cool sand like I was about to do push ups. Goliath was a few feet away, facing me, and grinding his cutters in frustration.  He seemed to know he could not get back up the shelf as he only made one feeble attempt at it. The two arrows buried in his massive chest were also beginning to take their toll. He seemed to lose interest in me after a bit, and wandered a few yards out on the sandbar. I noticed his legs were beginning to get wobbly. His rump collapsed first, and he just sat there for a while. That old hog sure made for a haunting sight sitting out on the sandbar like that. The majesty of the area and the glistening water conspired to create a scene that my minds eye will never forget. He then fell over on his side and began his death throes.  I just laid there at the edge of the river, bathed in moonlight and too mesmerized to move, and watched Goliath die.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
I slowly regained my feet and collected my beloved Thunderchild from the brush. She is a true friend and has a bloody spirit. I believe she was angry with me for so callously tossing her into the brush. I then collected my gear from the darkness of the swamp. It was not until I turned on my flashlight that I realized how badly my hands were shaking. The event now over, fear had returned. The emotions I felt walking up on Goliath are hard for me to describe, and may be hard for you to understand. Fear, accomplishment, happiness, respect and thankfulness flowed through me. There was something else however. Something many folks I've told have been unable to understand. Being my brothers and sisters from the traditional world, I believe most of you will understand what I'm going to attempt to describe. The strange emotion of which I speak, was a profound sense of loss. It slapped me in face like a palpable thing. Somehow, the swamp was a smaller and less magical place. I myself, somehow felt diminished by the death of Goliath.

Offline fmscan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 10:58:00 AM »
Swinestalker, you have a talent for writing, what a great story and some wonderful insights and observations. Thank you, I really enjoyed your style of hunting and writing. I agree a few paragraphs would make it easier to read.

Offline Dan Landis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2017, 12:40:00 PM »
Swinestalked, you have a true talent, you leave me wanting more.  You make us feel like we were right there with you, amazing story.  Keep em coming!!!!

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 01:32:00 PM »
Great story...cant wait to see pics!

Offline mississippidude

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
Another masterpiece, great story.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2017, 02:27:00 PM »
Some of you may have figured out that this is the story I eluded to on the first page of "Old Magnolia". This hunt  happened back several ago and I have since lost many photos. Luckily, there were a few pics of Goliath that I could find. There is more to this story, but it must stop here for now. I am heading to Israel on a church trip and will not have access to the internet after tonight for about 10 days. When I return, I will polish off a few details of the story. I have read through your many comments and kind words. You folks have no idea how much these mean to me. I truly hope these stories bring you some joy. Just the act of writing these  stories  brings all the memories and emotions of the hunts back in vivid detail. Photos soon to follow.

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2017, 02:33:00 PM »

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2017, 02:35:00 PM »

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2017, 02:36:00 PM »

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2017, 02:52:00 PM »
Travis,

A tremendous story!  

I remember one of the very first post I had seen of your a few years back was of, I believe to be this  hog.  

You didn't say much about it then just that you felt you had made a "mistake" of rushing in on a wounded hog to soon.

And as I read the last portion of your story and as you described the emotions, I sensed that the absents of "Sadness" or lost was to come and be the most pronounced to finish your story.

I felt it myself, as I read it and sense that the Swamps not as frightful as it once use to be.

The things of Legends have been mixed into the ingredients of your story, Bravo!

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
Brutha, I got all wrapped up in that! Very well written. That's a pile of sausage and we want to hear your efforts to extract him from the swamp.   :clapper:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©