3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who shoots a warf riser.......  (Read 1422 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who shoots a warf riser.......
« on: August 31, 2017, 06:36:00 PM »
I picked up a used Hoyt warfed ILF riser from the classifieds and it came today. Put a set of 40# TT Black-max carbon limbs on it to try it out. I must say I am really surprised. Made a 66" recurve that is smooth a butter and shoots very well. Anybody else mess around with warfed risers?
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline SteveL

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who shoots a warf riser.......
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
Yeppers, I have a couple of Bear Black Bear risers WARF'ed with plates; that when all is said and done, I like as much as any other ILF riser I've ever used. And I've used a few. Considering the cost they are the best deal out there. The only possible downside is that they are bit ugly. Especially compared to wood risers. But for me pretty is as pretty does. They are fun, enjoy!

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 07:48:00 PM »
Warfed an old Hoyt TD3 riser to ILF a couple years ago. It was my first hunting weight compound I bought when I was a kid. Never had any luck shooting it as it had much too long of a draw length for me, even now. It was nice to be able to turn it into something more useful and efficient than it was originally.

I used black max limbs as well, bought a set 43# and 55# limbs for it. Shoots great, though I don't give it as much attention as I should. Just like my longbows too much.

Since the picture I've given the riser a textured dark green paint job. I've been toying with the idea of carving out a lower grip for it as well.

60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »
Mine has just the cast grip......may have to wrap it in leather just for a better feel. Mine is a Hoyt Rambo riser.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 08:51:00 PM »
I've got a Black Bear and a Proline ...both are good but the Black Bear fits be better. This season due to some chronic shoulder trouble I'll be using either the bear or another ILF riser I have with Black Max limbs giving me a bow that's 43lbs at my draw. It's a shooter for sure.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
I have the Hoyt Rambo riser Warf'ed. Right now I have a set of TT 60# limbs on it. Looking at some lighter limbs, getting old. I have a old springy rest on mine plus I have a selection of old stablizers to choose from. It had no plastic grip so I made a leather one. Used 4oz leather, soaked it, wrapped it around grip and put in our summer sun. Bam! 15 minutes and hard as a rock around grip. Trimmed it and stitched it up.
 Using 2117 arrows and 400 spine Bemann's.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
Bear Black Bear warf with top tier limbs is one of the best recurve setups I've ever shot, and that's across the board.  The Black Bear stock plastic grip is one of the most naturally contoured I've ever felt too.  Should have never let the setup I had go, but it wasn't pretty wood so I had to.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 10:39:00 AM »
X2 nineworlds9, I had a BB riser done by the master Bob Gordon. That grip was perfect. Riser even had a radius shelf. Only issue I had it weighted a bunch for me to haul around all day at a 3D shoot. You see I had Bob weight the bottom limb pad with lead. Steady as a rock, no recoil, nothing, bow was "dead in the hand" at release. I passed it on as I use the Rambo riser more.

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 05:47:00 PM »
Thomas, I would love to see some pics of the Warfed Rambo.
What length did it turn out to be and what weight did you get from the 60# limbs?  I had a Hoyt Spectra a long time ago, riser on it looked the same as the Rambo riser. It was the best shooting compound I ever had. Have seen a couple of the old Rambos on CL in the past but wasn't too sure how good of a wart bow they would make.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
I am photo challenged here. But the bow came out to 64" with TT med limbs. I lost about a pound in draw weight. The conversation was done by a guy in CA. by the name of Loc Do. Actually if I recall that Spectra riser is same as Rambo.
 Sending you a PM

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 07:26:00 PM »
I do, Ron, if my "quarf" counts.  My Quinn Stallion riser that's been warfed is really nice.  I'm just a little hesitant putting hunting weight limbs on it.  It's a great 3d set up, though.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 07:43:00 PM »
Hey ronp, this Hoyt I picked up is really neat and shoots very well.

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 09:28:00 AM »
I don't own any at the moment but have had Hoyt Rambo's and Black Bear's.  The Black Bear and a cheap pair of Hoyt C+ limbs is one of the nicest shooting rigs I have ever owned.  Rambo was nice too, just didn't fit me quite as well.  For the money if they are Warfed by someone skilled they are hard to beat Imo if you like that sort of bow.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 09:26:00 PM »
I really like the feel of my bear minuteman grip and riser, I wonder if it could be easily set to up take ilf limbs
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline suburbanirma

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 08:09:00 AM »
I got into the ILF world via a Hoyt Rambo riser that Bob Gordon "warfed" for me. I added a leather handle grip for hand comfort. Had several sets of ILF limbs on it and harvested several deer using it. Just a bit heavy to haul around all day long, though. Shoots great and is 62" long.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 10:45:00 PM »
Got a few on the way so will be my first experience with one. What is the best midrange ilf limbs for the money , or is best to just look for used one's...

,,,Sam,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 02:11:00 PM »
Used is good and there are some deals. Tough to be TT for the money. The classifieds are where I get most of mine.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©