3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Replacement blade knives in the field.  (Read 1254 times)

Offline dresnor

• Trad Bowhunter
Replacement blade knives in the field.
« on: September 03, 2017, 03:09:00 PM »
I am trying to finish off my loadout for archery season in Maine. I have been looking at the replacement blade knives like Havalon, Outdoor edge, and Tyto. I really like the idea of being able to switch out the blades when the need comes.

Do any of you use a knives like these in the field?
How do they perform? Any advice?

I am more attracted to the Tyto knife since it is a skeletonized fixed blade.

Jeremy

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Replacement blade knives in the field.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
I wondered about them also. Then I went bear hunting and the guide used a Havalon.
It looked like it worked very well.

So, I have bought one for my own future use.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 04:20:00 PM »
Used a Kershaw interchangeable blade setup ~20 years ago. Worked well, but a bit weak for my taste. Never tried the new scalpel knives. I use my knives for more than field dressing, so I prefer a good full tang fixed blade. If your not proficient in sharpening blades I can understand the attraction though.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 04:35:00 PM »
I don't like them because I need some sort of pliers to change blades with out impailiing. myself
Here is a good field  condition test for my area.
Cover your hands with bacon grease, plunge them in a big bowl of ice water for 10 minutes than try to change blades

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »
I use a Havalon all the time. You have to be careful if you are doing something like separating the ball joint of the ham because the blade will break if you torque it too much. Other than that, it's the best hunting knife I have ever had. Sharpest too!!!

Bisch

Offline 96ssportsp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »
I  use an outdoor Edge.....… I think is the greatest thing since sliced bread! But I am sharpening challenged.
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ & the American Soldier. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom

Raptor Sig LB- 64 55 @ 32

Raptor Sig LB- 62 45 @ 32

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »
Ive used  oth the large n small havlin knives n love them especially on hogs, where u having to cut through dirt mud n coarse hair n dulls a blade very quick. Like bisch said u got be carefull with the smaller thinner blade knives as u will easily break one n a joint
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »
Used one for the first time in the field a few days ago. The Havelon worked great skinning, quartering, removing back straps and tenderloins on a cow elk. Didn't break any blades, put a new blade on when I started and didn't need tools to do it, and one blade did the job. It was hot and the job needed to get done fast and the piranta did the job.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
Halavon , used it on sheep, goats bear and moose. Would never go hunting with out it

Online TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 09:29:00 PM »
They work great.  safest way to change the blade is with a set of pliers or hemostats.  I still like my traditional knives, but a Havalon is pretty sweet.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 02:51:00 AM »
I use a havalon with an assist from a fixed blade Bark River to split a joint or chop through a bone or sternum. Like mentioned above, stabbing a log to pull a dull/fatty/greasy blade works fine. I just stab the same log (used a total of three blades to quarter and debone my last elk) and then collect the blades once the work is done and it's time to clean up and pack out.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 06:31:00 AM »
Bought Havalon Piranta and their filet knife whatever it's called to replace my heavy nice knives in my quest to lighten my load, pack was just too damn heavy. I love the idea of the Tyto, but afraid my hands would cramp up on that skinny handle! The outdoor edge model is supposed to have more robust blade system!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 06:55:00 AM »
I am sure they work incredibly well, but I like custom knives I like to sharpen my blades too, so life is too short to use an ugly knife.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 07:20:00 AM »
Replacements razors have a place in my tool bag- not in my hunting pack.  They don't impress me too  much.
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 08:11:00 AM »
Havalons are awesome. I hse my Piranta all the time. Lije Bisch said, the blades will break on you if theyre torqued. Talk about sharp though, good lord. The Outdoor Edge version is pretty nice too, i just like the smaller havalon better for weight and ease of use in tight quarters.
------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »
One of the 1st things I was taught MANY years ago, when I was given my 1st knife... (a brand new, official Boy Scout pocket knife) Was how to sharpen it!!!!! It saddens me that many "outdoorsmen" do not possess the simple skill, to sharpen a cutting tool??? In this day & age, are we so rushed, or "lazy" that we can't learn (and pass along) simple outdoor skills??? (Sharpening, Firebuilding, Reading a Map, Using a Compass? etc) As time goes on... I just see each generation getting "dumber"... But heck, I'm just an old guy? Maybe in the next few hundred years, we'll "discover fire"???
Just one old fart's oppinion.....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »
What woodchucker said!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 12:25:00 PM »
I'm with Felix.

Offline -Zor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:
One of the 1st things I was taught MANY years ago, when I was given my 1st knife... (a brand new, official Boy Scout pocket knife) Was how to sharpen it!!!!! It saddens me that many "outdoorsmen" do not possess the simple skill, to sharpen a cutting tool??? In this day & age, are we so rushed, or "lazy" that we can't learn (and pass along) simple outdoor skills??? (Sharpening, Firebuilding, Reading a Map, Using a Compass? etc) As time goes on... I just see each generation getting "dumber"... But heck, I'm just an old guy? Maybe in the next few hundred years, we'll "discover fire"???
Just one old fart's oppinion.....
While I agree with the point you're making, there is a time and a place for everything, including innovation. Here in Arizona time is not on your side when it comes to preserving meat. If I'm hunting solo and have a four mile one way trip to my truck, then I want to be as time efficient as possible when gutting, quartering, skinning and deboning my meat. Last September the temperature was almost 80F where I killed my bull. It's been in the nineties where I'm hunting coues deer this year. If I can shave off a few minutes here and there getting meat cooled off and packed out, I'll use the right tool to save time. I can and do sharpen every edged tool I own, use a map and compass, carry two sharp fixed blade knives and can start a fire any way you like, but I'm not above using the right tool for the job.

Offline dresnor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 04:56:00 PM »
When I posted this thread I knew it would take a someone would post a "learn how to sharpen a knife" comment.

I can't agree more honestly. I own a metric butt ton of knives, I even make knives. I do know how to sharpen a blade.

However, there are times when I don't want to sharpen a blade. Being cold, bloody and loosing light is not a situation where I would WANT to resharpen a blade. If I HAD to, well that is a different story.

Being a knife nut, I was just wondering if other hunters on this board find them useful. This board seems to be more level headed than some I frequent. Less apt to rush out and buy the latest and greatest. If these types of knives made it in packs of this forums members, then I know it has to fit a nitch.

As for learning and passing on outdoors skills. Man, your talking my language. I truly enjoy passing on the wilderness living and bushcraft skills I have learned over the years.

I too see the next generation "getting dumber" and I am not even that old.

Thanks to everyone, especially woodchucker.

Jeremy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©