3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: static recurve ...... bowyer question  (Read 593 times)

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
static recurve ...... bowyer question
« on: November 05, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
I am thinking about laying up a new bow with static recurve tips similar to  a soveirgn ballistic ......... how do I keep the tips from bending ? Will a reverse taper in the tip do it ?? how thick does it need to be ?

Should I use tapered or parallel lams in the limb ??

any ideas ????         :knothead:
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: static recurve ...... bowyer question
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 09:51:00 PM »
ttt
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Plywood Bender-laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »
My Ballistiks look like they have tapered lams (thicker at the riser).

I don't see any reinforcement at the bends.  I think the dramatic bend strengthens that portion of the limb and makes it static.

Disclaimer: I never actually measured any of this.

FWIW-

Carl

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »
My guess is that even on the Ballistic the recurves bend, but since they are so dramatic it doesn't look like other recurves when they pull out at full draw.

Jason

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »
I have never built a lam bow, but on a static recurve selfbow the recurves are thicker to stop them from bending. I would think a reverse taper in the tip would be the way to go.

I really don't have a clue about lams....
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 10:10:00 AM »
RER bows have static tips on their recurves, I own one and have talked to Kevin a bunch of times. go to their web-site and give him a call. I am sure he wouldanswer any of your questions! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 09:37:00 PM »
thanks ........ good responses  .......... anyone else ?????
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
A static recurve tip is just that...static, it don't bend.  To achieve that it must be thicker at the angle portion of the recurve.    The sheepeater spirit uses extra glass at that point.   Selfbows are built thicker, and other bows build up the area with wood (grumley style or similar).   The statics act as levers, and there is an optimum bow length, draw length corespondence for them to work "right".   Statics are just dead weight on a longer bow....but really work magic at shorter lengths.  Good luck!
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »
Mark, does the length of the static tip correspond to the bow length? Say on a 60" bow the static tip would need to be short than it would on say a 56" bow?
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 05:54:00 AM »
I've made static recurves and I have had the best results with parralel laminations...Glenn...

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 09:13:00 PM »
Glenn

It seems to me that parralel lams would be best for a longer draw length . I pull a full 31" ......... whatchya think ????
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Jhoneil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Tip on my Don Brown static recurve

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
Brent Rudolph really is the guy that knows his statics.   What I can say from learning from him, and just common sense, is that the length of the static should be long enough to provide good leverage but not so long as to be unstable.   Also, and perhaps more critical is the angle of the static.  To work right the statics should "open" or come just past vertical just before full draw.   At this point they are compressing the limbs getting their most from them and at the same time relieving string pinch at full draw.  The draw force at this point actually shows a "letoff" effect, both in decrease of the increase (it still increases but less so) and in finger pinch, making  the bow seem extra smooth.   With a longer bow, it is much harder to achieve this...

Also at this point, the bow is about to "hit the wall"  of stack....so design for a particular draw length is important to get a static to work "right".

Hope this makes sense....like I said, I am a recent student of all this too.
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Offline cjones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
Makes sense to me Mark. Thanks for explaining.
Chad Jones

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 06:49:00 AM »
Perry, I only have a 26" draw and the first static I made had parallel laminations but she only come out at 37#@28". I shot 600 grain arrows out of this bow at a 28" draw through my mates chrony and it was sending them at 166fps which I thought was very good for that poundage and those weight arrows. The next one I made came out at 65# with parallel lams again and she really sends them down range but I haven't had a chance to shoot them through the chrony yet. Going out western Queensland to hunt pigs and goats next week  so we will give these bow the real test when we get out there...Glenn...

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 11:43:00 AM »
Whether or not you use parralels or tapers in your limbs, really is a reflection of you limb design also.  To achieve best tiller in any bow, you will have some reduction of limb mass as you reach the tips....either in width, or thickness.  So how you design the bow, and the length of the working part of the limb, should be you decider in this respect.  

Here is a pic of a recent static-tipped, sinew backed osage bow I just completed.   To be honest, I got there by shear luck....but it works as it should, smooth drawing with the sensation of lettoff in the last couple inches of draw.  I reinforced the angle in grumley style.  This bow is very fast and very quiet.   It is 57 inches, nock to nock, and mid-sixties in poundage.  

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
very cool !!!!!
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 12:25:00 PM »
ttt
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
Tapered and parralel lamination have a big effect on the speed of a bow and how a bow draws.
You often see longbows with a lot of timber laminations in the limb core and all of them are tapered. I normally find these bows to be whip ended and not all that flash in the speed department and stack as you come to full draw, when the bowyer could have just used less tapers or less agressive tapers and they would have had a much more pleasing bow to shoot. Bows built with all tapered laminations never seem to bend much if at all down near the handle fade-outs where the bow needs to bend to store energy.
Different with all wood bows as you can control tiller a lot better through the tillering process but with building a fibreglass composite bow you are trying to predetermine tiller to a large degree before the bow is glued-up. You can adjust the tiller on a fibreglass bow but don't have the flexibility you have with all wood bows.

Offline Rick Perry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007, 12:38:00 PM »
more good info !!!!!  ............ Thanks all !!!
"Pick a spot"

RLP

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©