3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting in college  (Read 1149 times)

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting in college
« on: September 05, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »
Hey guys. So this is partly out of curiosity and partly trying to take my mind off of the butterflies in my stomach as I sit here waiting for my first college class to start in 15 minutes. Did you continue to bow hunt during college? How did it work out? During high school I hit the door running at the bell during deer season. I was able to go almost every day. I know that it will be different now, but I'm not willing to completely give it up. Just curious about your experiences.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting in college
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 01:46:00 PM »
I hunted hard.....for the two legged does.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Etter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 01:56:00 PM »
Hunted a lot

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 02:11:00 PM »
I stopped hunting during the 6 years I was in college.  It was hard, especially since my major was environmental and forest biology.  We were in the woods and on the lakes a lot during labs, so I missed hunting.  I was focused on my studies and just didn't make the time.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 02:22:00 PM »
I never really hunted when I was in college.  Looking back, I can't say I had MORE demands on my time than I would have later.  It's a matter of priorities, ultimately; how much of your down time you devote to being the woods.  Good luck whatever you decide.
Jim

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 04:16:00 PM »
Hopefully I can have a balance. I built my schedule so that I have Friday's off. If I work really hard in the evenings I hope to have most of that day to hunt or do whatever. I really don't know what the work load will be like though so I'm trying not to get my hopes to high.

Reddoge, I don't know much about how to get one of those two legged does. They seem pretty wary LOL

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 04:31:00 PM »
I probably hunted more in college than any other time. Luckily I'm from a place that very much accepts hunting. In college I made friends with several farm boys and was able to go hunting many times because of it. Mostly these were short weekend hunts, but a few were longer and several were just afternoon hunts. Usually hog or bird hunts but I did manage a couple of deer hunts.
I will offer a fair word of warning though. Not all colleges, students, and faculty are accepting of hunting. I have run into problems with a professor that found out that I hunt. He tried to make my life miserable and even threw me out of class for discussing weekend hunting plans with a friend before class started.
Also, hunting before or between classes can be.....interesting if you've had a successful hunt....just saying..
Oh, I also did make friends with a professor after I was late to class because I was hunting. He had a good sense of humor and let me off the hook so long as I invited him the next time.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline J. Cook

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 04:52:00 PM »
I hunted a lot - both during undergrad and grad school.  I had 1 if not 2 jobs all through college, so I had to work around those commitments but still found time to hunt.  I'm a WVU grad, and was a Wildlife & Fisheries Biology Major and worked at a local manufacturing plant, and as a tech at a local bow shop.  Those things offered me lots of opportunities through the folks I met, and we had great public land hunting there as well.
"Huntin', fishin', and lovin' every day!"

Offline Nantahala Nut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »
If you can just get out one evening or morning per week you will be out there more than most guys. I didn't hunt much in college but wish I had. I think the time in the woods would have been mentally refreshing.

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2017, 05:22:00 PM »
Like Nut said, itll probably help refresh your mind from school and the partying you will likely get into.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
I got to go twice during my college days.  

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline ESP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2017, 06:19:00 PM »
I hunted to much my first year in under grad.  Had a 1.5 gpa the first quarter.  Hunted little during the rest of undergrad.  Hunted twice during grad school.  

Look at it this way, your are loosing time upfront to hunt more later.  

Don't neglect your education.  I have learned through experience that many things come and go but you never loose your education.

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2017, 06:51:00 PM »
I didn't hunt a single time in college.  The GI Bill paid my tuition, but not books or all the expenses of living, so I worked 2 jobs and studied.  But, I made up for it during the last 18 months of the service before college and the 2 years immediately after!  Necessities, and priorities, change from time to time.  Don't loose sight of what is truly important, and take your opportunities where you can.

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2017, 07:14:00 PM »
I hunted a lot in college, but not as much with my bow. It is a lot easier to stay proficient with a shotgun, and duck season runs right through winter break in most areas of the country. It depends on whether you have a job or not though. I was fortunate to have scholarships that let me work 10 hours a week during the school year. I banked up money all summer with work so I didn't have to work in the school year.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 08:23:00 PM »
If classes got in the way of hunting, I called off college. Actually, I went to school close enough to home that I was able to get home many weekends during deer season. Deer was about all I hunted during that time.
Sam

Offline DocWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »
I hunted so much in college that it should have been a crime. Honestly, I hunted an average of 5 days/week. I was blessed to have plenty of public land within a 30 minute drive.
Exercise time management, go to class, pay attention and take notes. Try to learn the material the first time through and stay ahead of your work. Remember, there is no law against reading in a treestand.
School is your first priority but does not have to be your only priority. I also worked on the poultry research farm on campus.
"A man with experience is not at the mercy of a man with an opinion."  Unknown

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
I will absolutely be putting education first so no worries there. I have no issues with staying up late in order to get my work done. I am also attending community college right now so I still am a short drive from the areas I normally hunt. Next year when I transfer might be different though.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 11:01:00 PM »
I hunted my arse off in college.I hunted deer,turkeys,ducks and did a lot of angling in the Spring.I think I majored in hunting and outdoor pursuits.

Try and take some night classes and or arrange your schedule to benefit hunting times.

Take a lighter load like 12 hours a semester and 4 in the Summer and graduate in 4.5 years.Tell everyone I said it was okay.Your only young once you know and you will learn a hell of a lot with time spent in the woods.All education does not take place in the classroom believe me!

You would never regret it.

I had a hell of time!

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 11:03:00 PM »
You should have plenty of time to hunt during college.... once your out and have a "real life" it'll be a different story.  My recommendation would be to hunt every chance you get because at some points in life your going to have verry little time to do so.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 11:18:00 PM »
Your single, no kids.  Your time will likely not free up after college.  Looking back on it, I had more time to hunt during the college years then any other time.  I didn't take advantage of it.  Even though I had no money, I should have sought out more opportunities to hunt locally.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©