3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scent glands in small mammals?  (Read 368 times)

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
Scent glands in small mammals?
« on: September 05, 2017, 04:00:00 PM »
I'm finally getting around to reading some oldies but goodies.  In Horace Kephart's classic "Camping and Woodcraft" he attests that all small-medium sized mammals have scent glands, "pea-shaped, waxy or reddish kernels under the front legs and the small of the back."  He further states that these should be removed when field dressing to prevent tainting the meat.  Well I'm well on my way longbeardedness(61), grew up hunting rabbits and squirrels with my uncles and have never heard word one about the need to remove scent glands from under critter's armpits.  It's a miracle what with all the tainted meat I've eaten that I'm still around to debate the point. He also expounds upon the need to "bleed" deer and the fact that rabbits "aren't good to eat for several days after killing". Was this just the thinking of the times(1920's) or do some still practice this?  I may be an old dog, but contrary to the saying I do occasionally learn new tricks.
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scent glands in small mammals?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 04:27:00 PM »
Yes, I do remove the glands on rabbits and squirrels. Don't know how much it helps but it does reduce the gamey flavor on squirrels. I also do a salt water and vinegar soak on them. I like to hang my deer for at least a week. (walk in cooler) I have read on leaving small game with the internals in them for up to a week but I don't reckon I'm gonna try that one.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
Same here, I was taught so many years ago to remove the gland from a squirrel's front armpit.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 11:57:00 PM »
Rabbits no, but squirrels yes.  At least that has been my teaching.  On a squirrel after you cut the front leg away from the ribcage you can seen the gland.  I just use the knife edge and my thumb to pinch and cut away.  Never noticed this on a rabbit and never taught to remove them on a rabbit by my father or granddad.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 01:17:00 AM »
I've got a couple years up on ya, olddog, and also never heard of it mentioned for rabbits or squirrels but have for woodchucks before preparing for the table.

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 04:23:00 AM »
Do you remove these glands as soon as you harvest the squirrel, or hours later when you are skinning it?  I've squirrel hunted from the Appalachians to the Ozarks, and never heard of this either.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 07:49:00 AM »
When you are skinning.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Rough Run

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 09:16:00 AM »
Ok, thanks!  I'll be checking one out come October.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 06:05:00 PM »
A question....if they lie in the meat, under the skin, how are they scent glands ?

Offline olddogrib

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 06:58:00 PM »
Okay, I think this post has generated enough curiosity that a dissection video is in order.  I vote for Ron Laclair to do the honors, as he's probably already working hard to stock the freezer for the annual Shrewhaven meal.  How 'bout it Ron?  We want to see some "skwerl armpits"...up close and personal!
"Wakan Tanka
 Wakan Tanka
 Pilamaya
 Wichoni heh"

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 10:39:00 PM »
Most waterfowl have a pea sized oil gland at the base of the tail.  That's what they use to rub oil inthier feathers while preening.  I remove that, both before eating and in the mounting process.  If not the tail rots off
Never saw any in a rabbit-not ant squirrels here
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 01:08:00 AM »
Groundhogs have like 11 different type glands....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©