3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Straight grips and consistency  (Read 1072 times)

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Straight grips and consistency
« on: September 07, 2017, 03:03:00 AM »
I've never shot a bow with a straight grip as mine have all had index/locator style grips and was wondering if they were more prone to inconsistency on the shot. I see a lot of used bows I really like the looks of/price but they have straight grips. Not neccisarrily talking about hill style but just longbows in general.
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Tradcat

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Straight grips and consistency
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:44:00 AM »
I am going to be interested to hear all the responses especially as it relates to hill style bows. Straight vs Dished vs Locator grips etc.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »
Plow through the Hill bow thread if you want good information on grrips.
As for me, I love straight grips. No problem with consistency.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Online joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »
I was pleasantly surprise at the consistency of broom style grips. For me it makes torquing a bow harder. Don't get me wrong, when I grab a super nice pistol grip bow like my Thunderhorn it melts into my hand. But a broom handle is comfy too, just a different comfy. This is my experience.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Hatrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 08:01:00 AM »
The feeling of any grip, straight, dished, locator, etc., will always be a very personal thing. I could lay out a dozen longbows, all with "straight" grips, and they will all feel different. Even with a straight grip you have differences in depth, width, how they index the knuckle of your thumb, how they seat in your palm, etc. etc. Not that you can't adapt to a certain grip it's just that some will fit you better than others. I have medium sized hands but still prefer a wider and deeper straight grip than most. The last longbow I built has a straight grip that I really like and can be consistent with. Others don't care for it.

The same can be said for locator and dished style grips. You can be very consistent with any of the grips mentioned but they have to fit you, and your shooting style.
The scent of Autumn is like food to the hunters soul.

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 12:07:00 PM »
Makes sense on the not torquing as easily. I see a lot of great northerns with the traditional (broomstick) handle in the specs I'm wanting.
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline Jerry Gille

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
I've shot great northerns with straight grips for years.  I love that grip but it is a personal thing.  I have the leather grip rolled at the top and the bottom of my handles.  That little bump created by that roll at the top is what I feel for every time.  I've shot the same critter gitter for 17 years and have never had a problem with grip consistency.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 04:03:00 PM »
As was said, straight grips come in many different shapes and sizes and one size most definitely does not fit all. When I show people how to hold a longbow it is a simple hold your hand open and relaxed with the thumb up.  Flop the bow in your  hand and gently close the middle and ring finger around it, with the index finger coming just barely under the arrow rest or to the arrow if your bow does have one like the new JD Berrys. The middle segments of your middle and ring finger should comfortably rest on the back and the thumb should comfortably lay on the side inline with the tip of the index finger. Everyone's hand is a little different, but if the grip is not too large or too small it will stay in the position.  My personal preference is for the grip to not be over 2&1/8" and not so sharp that it causes discomfort and not so round and fat that the bow hand feels like it needs to spread. How does go? Hold it like a bird, you do not want to hurt it and you do not want it to get away. I give the grip a little squeeze at the beginning of the draw and then lighten up as I draw back. Yes, I am guilty of occasionally dropping a bow on the shot.  Lots of times the bow slips down a little because of my light grip, gripping harder will not torque a longbow if it the correct size and is in the right spot.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©