3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need help deciding core wood  (Read 1698 times)

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need help deciding core wood
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2017, 10:07:00 PM »
I like most of the woods listed. Some I like better for short bows, some I like better for longer bows. I do think its more about design and build.
Danny, Its funny you mention the laminated hardwoods. I just carried a literal ton of wood into the shop, and I am trying to decide how I am going to use some of it. A vertical lamination panel was talked about. We'll see
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2017, 12:28:00 AM »
Red Elm. Had a Dan Quillian Canebrake that has a reputation of being fast and smooth. Search/Google it and those characteristics will be prevalent. Sure, it was the result of his design but he could have used any wood and chose Red Elm to complement the design.

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2017, 08:02:00 AM »
I have had two of the same identical bows. One was made with maple and the other with a bamboo core. The only difference, I thought the maple was quieter.

Online David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2017, 09:26:00 AM »
One of the fastest bows that I ever owned was a Dan Quillian Canebrake.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2017, 03:52:00 PM »
I'm in the 90+% mentioned by The Whittler!
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2017, 04:04:00 PM »
So much of it is dependent on bow design and how the cores are tapered.

I currently have bows with bamboo and red elm.  All shoot sensationally and are from top level bowyers.  My red elm core recurve is a screamer and very sweet to shoot.

I've always loved elm and walnut cores, they seem to be a great alternative to boo.  Can't go wrong with yew either.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline IdahoCurt

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2017, 04:57:00 PM »
There is so much variation in cell structure within the same species of wood it's almost impossible to give a definitive answer on this.I personally love Yew but have processed multiple sets of core lamination's in the same thickness from different boards and they will all weigh very different.
Having said that,on average raw bamboo(not actionboo) and yew seem to consistently weigh less than any other woods I've used,less mass equals a faster limb.
I doubt the difference in core woods will translate to more than a few ft/sec between them all with limb design being more of an influence on speed.
Foam gives you the most consistent results in my experience.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2017, 10:55:00 PM »
I've been using quite a bit of quarter sawn walnut for cores lately and really like it.  Looks good too.

Offline bluemelonchitlin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2017, 05:43:00 PM »
Red elm
Revelation 3:20

Offline riser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »
I'm a curious sort. I'm in the group that feels design trumps material.

What I am interested in is: material vs material at equal design.

I like hard facts to make decisions.

Are there any bowyer's or individuals who have chronographed SIMILAR design bows (same design, draw weight, same amo, same arrow etc), HAVING DIFFERENT LIMB MATERIAL ( ie bamboo vs elm vs maple vs "limb material of choice")?

Real chrono data requested.  Anyone?
Behavior accepted, is behavior repeated.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 11:23:00 PM »
I have been following this thread out of curiosity to see what woods would be suggested.  I have made only a handful of bows myself and find this subject very intriguing.
I don't know how much corewood affects the performance of a fiberglass bow, nor do I think that anyone else has a 100% guarantee on any specific differences in different woods.

And I want to start off by saying that I'm not arguing anybody's suggested wood type. Buuuuuut, if you have a fast design and want to smooth it out, that could be a completely different core from if you want to maintain performance but still be as smooth as possible.
Basically, wood that is heavy and flexible will be smooth. Wood that is light and stiff will yield higher speeds.

Wood that is light, stiff and bends smooth as silk...... that's the bowyers dream. And I believe it is called Mongolian Tulip Wood.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2017, 06:45:00 AM »
I think you are correct..   :)

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2017, 12:16:00 PM »
I can't help with the chrony numbers, I don't have one. The high quality ones are pretty costly. I don't see the point in buying a piece of equipment for $300+ so it'll tell me that one bow is shooting 5 fps faster or slower than another.  But having made as many bows as I have, and having shot them all, I've got a good idea of what performs great, what performs good, and what I wouldn't recommend using.  It's very important to me that the bow I send my customer, performs as best as it can, so I tried several woods and bamboos and have learned what I can rely on. I've shot fast bows and slow bows, and after shooting several thousand (mine and other's) I can tell what is and isn't.  

A simple test I do with laminations when I make them, is I'll bend it around into a full circle, them let it go and if it springs back to the straight shape it was before I did it, then it's a good material.  I can do that because I usually use full length laminations.  The woods that are slow to string back, can have too much moisture, or just not have the compression/tension strength I need.  Those ones will still work but the bow will perform sluggishly.  

Chronograph numbers are great and all, and I'm not saying you're "that guy" Riser, but in the end, guys would still be "taking my word for it" I've seen others do it, and the data still wasn't "good enough". (another reason I don't spend the $$ on a chrony)
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2017, 02:40:00 PM »
Mike I see you a chrony will tell you the speed of a already made limb with your metod you'll know before the wood becomes a limb
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 03:00:00 PM »
I've never, (other than in my sub conscious) applied that logic to it, but it makes sense.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »
I would lean toward agreeing with Mike. But i will go that one step further.
After building and shooting several 1000 bows, with all manner of materials, in any given design, any of the good materials will shoot very close.
Bad materials will shoot poorer.
I still think that design and build execution are most vital.
Some designs like certain materials better than others, some are not fussy at all.
Feel, sound, speed, looks....Takes a skill to bring it all together and there is generally a fine line for the trade offs.
Thats why I like bow making and talking bow making.
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline Trout man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »
I think Bamboo is the smoothest wood,but Yew is right p there

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
Most boaters tend to agree on this topic. From my limited experience, I also think design is paramount.  For example I currently own a fantastic shooting bow in all categories that sports one thick lam of HICKORY.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
Most bowyers  tend to agree on this topic. From my limited experience, I also think design is paramount.  For example I currently own a fantastic shooting bow in all categories that sports one thick lam of HICKORY.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
I've found the best core wood to be what the bowyer making it recommends.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©