3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moving to Idaho  (Read 731 times)

Offline Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Moving to Idaho
« on: September 09, 2017, 09:17:00 AM »
I will be moving to northern Idaho, Coeur d'Alene, this November. Would like to hear about the trad archery opportunities in the area as well as hunting recommendations.
Dav

Offline RJonesRCRV

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moving to Idaho
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 02:55:00 PM »
Look up Clay Hayes, here and youtube.  Pretty sure he lives in Idaho and seems to deal with hunting as well as conservation, so should have plenty of info.
Kimsha Mattawoman II 51#
Dale Phillips Nodebow 58#
Kimsha 'Boo Bow 56#
USMC 2005-2010

Offline gatradbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
You're very fortunate. I just spent a week out there fishing between Stanley and Salmon. Saw Mule Deer, White tail and even big horn sheep. Good luck!

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »
We live in Sandpoint. There is a good group of trad shooters up here and some great 3d shoots. There was a trad store in CDA called the Northwest Pony Express but it looks like they closed shop. Bummer. Hopefully the fires will subside soon but it has been bone dry out since early June
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Gator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
Lucky dawg.  

Good luck.

Offline Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 07:21:00 PM »
Yeah Gator1, I feel very fortunate and am excited about the change. I considered the Northwest home for many years and have been trying to get back for a long time. Work commitments kept me away but the stars aligned with a wonderful new opportunity. tzolk, I am sure we will run into each other.
Dav

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
Tzolk, I elk hunted near sandpoint a couple of years ago. It's probably one of my favorite areas of the country that I've been to so far. It really is beautiful there and I have really great memories of the trip. If I ever make it back up that way again I'll have to stop by to say hi.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
Plan on heading out for elk next week around here. Cow season with an A tag near private property. New to hunting elk. Davt, I'm sure you'll love it! Check out the Xtreme North Idaho traditional bow hunter club - facebook. They just had an awesome 3d shoot up here near Sandpoint. Libby montana, also a great shoot every may.
We moved up here from Detroit area in 2013 so I'm still learning.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline batbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2017, 12:19:00 AM »
There's lots of opportunities hunting in the area.
The guy who handled the traditional archery side of the NW Pony Express shop is now at Black Sheep sg and he is a wealth of info on trad equipment n the local archery scene, his name is Bill Wolf.
The owner of Pony Express has cancer and decided to close it rather than try and pass it along. Really cool store and it's a bummer life handed the owner that card.
Stalker Coyote 56, 49@28
Acadian woods carbon recurve 58 46@28
Black widow pch 58, 40@28
Browning Nomad Stalker 45# 28
Morrison 58, 47@28
Black Widow PCH 58 in 40#@28

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2017, 01:12:00 AM »
I spent a year there in Moscow.  Beautiful country, just never made it back.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 09:30:00 AM »
This is my second year here after moving from new York. Really like it here great fishing . Still working on hunting. See some animals here n there.
 I joined xtreme north Idaho archers just a few weeks ago.
 Lots of public land to roam,just have to find the spots you like.
 Seems most trailheads will get full up with trucks n ATVs but there is some out of the way places.
 Feel free to hit me up when you get here. I'm about 40 minutes north of CDA .
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.
RMEF, PBS, Compton, idaho trad bow hunters

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2017, 09:34:00 AM »
Tzolk, don't think I knew you were from Southern Michigan.
 I'm from Wyandotte
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2017, 09:53:00 AM »
Kevin,
Small world! I grew up in Ypsilanti but settled in Plymouth before moving this way. There are some metro Detroiters on our private road too. I miss the multiple deer tags allowed in Michigan.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2017, 10:15:00 AM »
I could take 9 deer in new York. Good times.
 By the way,the lions play at 10am. Ha ha
Good luck to all this hunting season.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Offline kevsuperg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2017, 05:20:00 PM »
Davt.  Getting back to you, I would recommend that you get on IDFG ( Idaho fish n game) website map center.
 You can get a lot of good info on public lands state, federal,BLM etc. trails and access.
 As for where to scout look close to town in some cases but I like to scout with Google Earth for slide areas, old logging areas, mountain creeks and Meadows then go check them out.
 Hopefully spots that others don't want to hunt. I have crossed a river or two.
USAF Medic 1982-1992
Life member BHA.

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 10:39:00 PM »
I just got back from a bike riding trip to CD, we stayed in Harrison. Very pretty place, lots of water. We saw deer, moose, turkeys and a few guys catching bass on the CD River. I have a friend who lives close to St Maries who is an avid hunter and owns about 80 acres. He has some pretty good success, but his main complain is folks on ATV's where they should not be. A fair amount of timber company land to hunt.

Some time spent scouting and getting to know the area should pay dividends. I see in your profile you fly fish, you will love the St Joe River and the North Fork of The CD.
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Davt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 10:47:00 PM »
elkken, yes I love to fly fish, trad bowhunter, watcher of wildlife and an avid cyclist and skier. I am looking forward to doing a lot more cycling which will help in the packing in past ATV fitness.
Dav

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 12:35:00 PM »
I'm jealous.  Spent some time in the ID panhandle in my teens -- hiking, fishing, backpacking, etc.  My grandfather was stationed at the old Naval station on Pond O'reille for a time, as I recall.  Still some family up there.  Great area for anybody who loves the outdoors.

X2 on the St. Joe -- at least 15 years ago, which was the last time I fished up there.  A few miles in and you'll be forced to use a larger fly with a larger hook just so the little ones quit spooking the hole every time they go for your fly.  Moose everywhere.  Beautiful place.  Enjoy!
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline oz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2017, 01:26:00 PM »
As said in two posts earlier,
Xtreme North Idaho Trad club.
they are very active I ran into them at 3 shoots this summer and they seem to be an awesome group, organized and active in the sport.  

Great location to live, close to Spokane, a large city in terms of the NW (hehe), yet you are remote and alone in the woods in just minutes.

good luck hope to run into you at a shoot next spring.  

oz

Offline HartHeart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »
We lived in Bonners Ferry, ID for five years; which is about 45 minutes from Cour'delane. I was too young to hunt but my Dad killed two bull elk and several whitetails while there. Some very big whitetails in that little town! Wolves seem to be fairly numerous around there, as well as mountain lions and a fair population of grizzly in the mountains. Oh, did I forget; decent black bear population and more coyotes than you can shake a stick at. My cousin was squirrel hunting once when he heard something behind him and turned around to see a cougar following him! Dad was elk hunting with a friend and they had a grizzly run in on them while they were calling! Big muleys in the mountains, big whitetails in the valleys, plenty of elk, occasional moose; hunters paradise in God's country!
Ruler of Peace

Custom Shrew Classic Hunter II 48#@28"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©