3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stinger and Buzzcut broadheads  (Read 1545 times)

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stinger and Buzzcut broadheads
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 04:45:00 AM »
LOL

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »
I like serrated heads,I've been doing my own for years. I just got a couple packs of the 2bld 150gr BuzzCut's.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
Here's an Ace head that I serrated last year

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline MIBIGHNTR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 10:29:00 AM »
Always believed that a straight/sharp cut would not clot and seal like a jagged/dull cut??  Am I wrong??

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 11:07:00 AM »
Where you're wrong is where you put jagged and dull together. Serrations are not dull, I hone over the whole blade including the serrations.

Sorry but you're also wrong that a serrated edge will clot and seal.

Offline Brian P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
Ron,
 Do you think the buzzcut feel sharp enough right our of the pack?
"As a rule, nothing does an arrow so much good as to shoot it, and nothing so much harm as to have it lie inactive and crowded in the quiver"   Saxton Pope

Offline MIBIGHNTR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2017, 11:56:00 AM »
I don't mind being proven wrong at all Ron.  I always try to keep an open mind.  Thank you for your input and I value your expertise and experience greatly!!

I just know through the years that it always seemed when I cut myself with a a very sharp edge (razor blade, X-Acto, etc.) it seemed like it would take forever to clot.  I cannot say I had ever cut myself with a sharp AND serrated edge though to compare, only dull objects (rocks, cement, etc.).

You must feel there is a distinct advantage to the serrations I am assuming since you did it YEARS before it was done commercially??

Offline D.B Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2017, 02:18:00 PM »
Out of curiosity I just went an opened a brand new pack of Stingers, purchased last Black Friday.  They're as sharp as any I've bought in years past.  I'm sure a few slip through that are less sharp than we'd like.
Morrison Phoenix 17" ILF Riser
SF Elite Carbon/Foam Limbs 52@28
Beman ICS Bowhunters

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2017, 05:31:00 PM »
I hear you, I use to keep a styptic pencil in my medicine cabinet when I shaved/ trimmed with a straight razor.

But like my buddy Norm Blaker told a guy once when he questioned the serrated edge of Norms  broadhead, "I'm not tryin to shave em I'm tryin to kill em"

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2017, 05:53:00 PM »
Just wondering if Bisch has ever used these?
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2017, 09:23:00 PM »
I used to use Stingers and have since moved away from them.  In my experience they flew straight out of most bows.  They made more noise than solid heads.  They killed everything that I hit with one.  That said, I had concerns with the durability.  

While I never had completely catastrophic failures like shown above, I did have the ferrules on a few get boogered up and make the replacement blades harder to get in.  I also had one get bent on me once.  I just kind of lost confidence in them due to the aluminum ferrule and have thus gone to all steel broadheads.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline mwosborn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2017, 09:46:00 PM »
I use the 2 blade stingers and really like them.  Have not had durability issue yet.  Buck I shot 2 years ago is in the pic below hanging head down.  Quartering away shot, broadhead entered at back of ribs exited low through ribs and then hit the humerus square on.  As you can see, it sliced and/or busted through the humerus of the front leg.  No damage to the broadhead.  Deer made it about 75 yards.

Enjoy the hunt!  - Mitch

Offline D.B Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2017, 10:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by GDPolk:
I used to use Stingers and have since moved away from them.  In my experience they flew straight out of most bows.  They made more noise than solid heads.  They killed everything that I hit with one.  That said, I had concerns with the durability.  

While I never had completely catastrophic failures like shown above, I did have the ferrules on a few get boogered up and make the replacement blades harder to get in.  I also had one get bent on me once.  I just kind of lost confidence in them due to the aluminum ferrule and have thus gone to all steel broadheads.
They carry a lifetime warranty, and don't bat an eye at honoring it.  There is something about shooting a big thick steel broadhead though.
Morrison Phoenix 17" ILF Riser
SF Elite Carbon/Foam Limbs 52@28
Beman ICS Bowhunters

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 05:24:00 PM »
I bought some for my wife to shoot out of her wheel bow a couple of years ago. Buzzcuts. After looking them over I decided I'd try them as well. I've killed 5 deer and a turkey with them and my wife killed her first deer and turkey with them. We haven't had any issues with them. However of the 5 deer I killed 4 of them were double lung shots. The fifth one was a straight liver hit. I can't say that the blood trails have been the greatest. Adequate but not as good as what I used to get with my woodsmans. But I always get 2 holes with the buzzcuts and since I only shoot about 50 pounds or so I had cases with the woodsmans where I did not get two holes which resulted in zero blood on the ground and lots of time on my hands and knees. This year I'm likely going to hunt with 150 grain buzzcuts.

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2017, 05:35:00 PM »
I just bought some this week. I'll see how I like them.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2017, 08:52:00 PM »
MIBIGHNTR,you are not wrong,it is a medical fact. Though the idea is to kill not to shave it don't change that fact. Another fact is a jagged tear in tissue or hide don't heal well. Just some thing to consider if a less than perfect shot happens. Check the failure on Doug's post. Look at the picture on Ron's post. There is very little metal between the vent and the serrations and the serrations score the metal like you would do if you want to break steel or glass. Hard to imagine a weaker design but they do work when all goes well. >>>----> Ken

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2017, 09:41:00 AM »
As for the issue of durability, when the Bear Razorhead came out it was the latest and greatest head on the market. I cant remember how many deer I killed with that head. The main blade was soft metal and sharpened easily. The bleeder blade was thin and designed to collapse when it hit bone (rib bones). After going through a deer the head  was usually bent in almost a C shape and the bleeder blade was either gone or badly bent BUT it always killed the deer.

Just think what a great head it would have been if the blades had been serrated.    :biglaugh:  

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
Yes, serrations would have really helped the bending? NOT  Better steel or heat treating maybe???. Any way many of us moved on from bending, breaking, noisy heads. Papa Bear him self said  "avoid serrated scalloped heads, though they look wicked the teeth fill with hair,tallow,and tissue,impending clean cutting and penetration". Yes they both still work but there are much better heads out there. My 2 ¢ worth.>>>----> Ken

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2017, 02:41:00 PM »
Fred said that because he wasn't selling serrated heads. Other's including myself have testified that serrated heads do NOT fill with hair and tallow.

We all appreciate what Fred did for bowhunting but he, like everyone else had his own opinions. For one he tried to get the poison pod legalized. Not a good idea because a hunter didn't have to be sure and make a killing shot. A hit anywhere would be a dead deer.

Offline kenneth butler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2017, 08:07:00 PM »
Maybe Fred didn't have the means,equipment,or sales distribution to cut grooves in his heads and market them,if he felt they were worth while. You are right though we all have an opinion. Some hang on to them until the very end.:^) >>--->Ken

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©