3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fiberglass instead of phenolic  (Read 391 times)

Offline Ari_Bonn

• Trad Bowhunter
Fiberglass instead of phenolic
« on: September 10, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »
Well been talking to a boywer close to home here back and forth thinking of getting a 3 piece longbow from him. We were discussing riser mass and I had inquired about phenolic and actionwood which he often uses.  

Apparently he has started to phase it out for solid fiberglass instead because it has higher mass and strength/durabilty than the other 2 mentioned.  

I guess it would be like an old ben pearson.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: Fiberglass instead of phenolic
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:59:00 PM »
This is becoming more common.  Generally they're using G10.  Very durable, heavy material.  I owned a Habu with a glass riser with a few thin wood accents and it was a tank.  Almost too heavy to carry all day honestly.  It was a large riser though.  Many bowyers, including Big Jim, have been offering an I-beam of this type of material for strength and mass.  I'm on the list for a Thunderchild next month and Jim is probably going to build me a G10 riser with wood scales for beauty.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline D.B Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 09:33:00 PM »
Phenolic is hard on tooling and machinery, probably why a lot of bowyers go away from it after a while.  The company I used to work for made a bunch of park benches for the city a few years back and the seating and back were a phenolic material, we went through blades and router bits probably 4 times as fast as even the most dense wood species we work with.
Morrison Phoenix 17" ILF Riser
SF Elite Carbon/Foam Limbs 52@28
Beman ICS Bowhunters

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 11:25:00 PM »
I would give Mike at rosewood archery a call.  He has some new dymondwood that is the best I have used in awhile.  Very very dense and heavy.   Also has no smell at all, something your bowyer should greatly appreciate.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©