3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: i done messed up.... got drawn for S. Texas Nilgai, twice!  (Read 1461 times)

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
i done messed up.... got drawn for S. Texas Nilgai, twice!
« on: September 12, 2017, 10:21:00 AM »
oops.

I put in for the Laguna Atascosa NWR and the Lower Rio Grande Valley NWR- Teniente combo whitetail/Nilgai hunts....

and got picked for both.

1/4-1/7 at the lower rio grande

11/17-11/21 at laguna Atascosa

Has anyone else on here ever done such a fool thing?

And does anyone have any pointers on hunting nilgai with a bow?

Lol. I'm in trouble.

I'l probably just go to the lower rio grande hunt and skip the laguna Atascosa hunt. Its a 10 hour drive from dallas. And 11/17 usually coincides with pretty good hunting in Oklahoma. But im open to suggestions!

Thanks

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: i done messed up.... got drawn for S. Texas Nilgai, twice!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:33:00 AM »
Not sure how to advise you, but you should buy a mega-millions lottery ticket ASAP.   :D   I guess I would do both hunts. I would like to be in such "trouble".
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 11:50:00 AM »
You lucky bastard!

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:52:00 AM »
haha... the odds are actually pretty good. Like 1/4. I didn't get picked on the first draw, but got picked on the second for both. I guess the drive down there and hard hunt dissuades a lot of people.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
If you kill a bigger Nilgai you had better have a lot of help. Call the game wardens there, and maybe, just maybe, they will drive their pickup truck to your monster and help ya. But don't count on it...
Nilgai are tough & will run for ever...good luck.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:34:00 PM »
well atleast its flat there   :notworthy:

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 01:02:00 PM »
I only hunted Laguna... bicycles are great to get around, but, any light rain on the ground and forget about it.  Mud sticks like bubble gum on the tires and boots.  
We had good time there with my buddies, its not a easy hunt, but we enjoyed being there.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2017, 08:25:00 PM »
I'm curious about the draw results. I was thinking about putting in. According to the TPWD website applications must be in before October 15.

https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/hunt-category-details.phtml?OCat=NAE

Also, the nilgai hunt dates you posted are under the general (not archery) exotic NWR hunts and the site says a centerfire rifle or .40 caliber or bigger muzzeloader must be used. Will you be able to use archery equipment?

On one hand I'm happy for you, but on the other it may mean the info I have is erroneous and I am already out of the drawing for this year. It's also a shame you have 2 tags and may only use 1. The hunts aren't transferable so another hunter who would have gone if drawn is missing out.

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 08:59:00 PM »
Mr. Hackbow. I think you are looking at it wrong. The ones you are referencing are the exotic only hunts. I drew the archery "deer" hunt. Which includes deer hogs and nilgai. I don't really intend to shoot a deer. I should have a few down by the time of this hunt.

https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/hunt-category-details.phtml?OCat=NAD

The deadline to apply on that hunt was sept 1. Texas has a weird application deadline system. They come in waves. Some were due August 15th. Some sept 15th. Some October 15th etc.

There's no reason to not put in for both. I didn't draw either initially. I got both on the second draw. No sense in trying to shame me for a tag with 1/2 - 1/4 odds especially when I got the sloppy seconds on both. I'll throw the tag back and Texas can do what they will with it. My deadline is next week, they'll distribute it out most likely.

Going down there twice... 10+ hour drive one way, plus permit, plus expenses and vacation. It's just not ideal. It's not like I planned to get both tags. Lol.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 09:53:00 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, what's the cost for a hunt like this?  Is it pretty much just show up and fend for yourself, or do you have to use some kind of guide service?  Also, are you camping, or are there cabins or motels nearby?  Just moved to Texas and am curious about options for next year.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 10:00:00 PM »
Schmidty - not trying to shame you at all, just saying it's "a shame" that a tag would go unused since the TPWD site said they're not transferable. But if you return it and they issue it to another hunter that is great. I also understand not wanting to make that trip twice - my wife is from Raymondville. The drive is brutal.

This is only my 3rd season hunting in TX. I've hunted in 10 other states and none are nearly as confusing with their info. I would never have dreamed of looking for a nilgai hunt under a "deer" hunt, so that is where my misunderstanding occurred.

Best of luck! I'm putting in for the Laguna Atascosa NWR hunt first week of Dec. I'm in Rockwall, not far from you. If I'm drawn maybe we can share some nilgai strategies.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 10:09:00 PM »
tomsm44 - Check out link below. It shows a map of draw hunts. You can click on each and it will give you info. Costs differ. The nilgai hunt I'm applying for is $3 for application and $130 for tag if drawn.

EDIT: no guides needed, show up and fend for yourself. The particular hunt I am applying for comes with a mandatory orientation training the day before the hunt begins. As Schmidty said, it is quite a commitment - 1 day to drive down, 1 day for orientation, 5 days for hunting, 1 day to drive back. So 8 days away from home, work, etc.

https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/public/public_hunt_drawing/hunt-areas.phtml  

Welcome to TX. Saw your thread about moving here and it is indeed a different place to hunt in compared to most - and significantly more expensive as a resident than any other place I've lived.

Offline tomsm44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »
Thanks hackbow.
Matt Toms

Flatwoods Custom R/D:  64", 47@28
'66 Kodiak: 60", 55@28
Redwing Hunter:  58", 53@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 47@28
Ben Pearson 709 Hunter:  58", 42@28
Hoots Recurve:  56", 42@28

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 12:49:00 AM »
I honestly have no idea what's going on.

$3 for a chance at a weird animal. Sure! Lol

I figure I'll just show up and be a hunter. Trust my instincts. And get it done.

~55 lb recurve and a 580 gr arrow with a cutthroat is the plan. Should get it done.

400-650 lbs and up to 4.9 feet at the shoulder. Sounds like an elk to me. Except the hunt is in flat terrain and in an impenetrable tangle of mesquite and tall grass.

Oh and apparently snakes are an issue?

Can anyone here attests to the snakeyness? Is it a real issue or just a feel good to have snake guards. I've never felt the need for guards hunting Oklahoma but haven't bumped into a ton of snakes in a short period.

I was thinking of breaking out the boot-mocs and being sneaky. But those probably aren't terribly snake proof.

Offline acedoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 02:12:00 AM »
have not hunted nilgai as hunting is banned in india . soem states have begun to label them as pests and you can kill them with rifles.

regardless they are big animals with an attitude and vitality. i have seen them shrug off hits from a van and walk away. they are known to be aggressive especially the males. i would think your elk type setup will be very efficient at the job.
regards
Toelke SS recurve
Toelke Whip
Sky Wildfire ilf with foam carbon xxl limbs

Offline Mikewarren33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 10:25:00 AM »
I never saw any snakes at laguna, but it is definitely snake country. Aside from elk hunting it's one of the best times I've ever had out in the woods. 30,000 acres w/ Texas elk (nilgai), big white tails & big porkers. There's a lot of other hunters out there but most of them are only trained in corn feeder sitting so when you strip that from them they get confused and stay close to the roads.

The nilgai are very smart. Makes it a ton of fun. Especially if still hunting. I'll be at LRGV this season in December.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 10:30:00 AM »
What the hell is a Nilgai...??   :dunno:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »
A nilgai is a creature that can be found simply by typing "nilgai" into a search engine.   :p    :jumper:    :p  

Seriously, it is a big Asian antelope that was brought to TX for hunting and, like other exotics, escaped and can now be hunted in certain public areas.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 04:18:00 PM »
Alrighty then! Thanks!!! Do you really need a special permit to hunt "exotic" animals? Perhaps I'm confuseing them with invasive, but don't most states try to weed out, non native animals?
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Schmidty3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 06:40:00 PM »
There's a special exotic license. ITs $48 for a 5 day non-res exotic license. Finding a place to hunt is the trick. Im not an expert in texas hunting yet. But it seems everything is really locked down via lease. So you either are rich, know a guy, or pay for a guide. But TPWD does have hunts you can draw as this post shows. There is a small amount of public land but research shows its not great.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©