3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trad Gang could sure use some help ...  (Read 5066 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Trad Gang could sure use some help ...
« on: July 26, 2017, 07:11:00 PM »
I apologize in advance for the book of words I'm about to type, but both Terry and I want Trad Gang members to get the full picture of what this forum is struggling with, and what it will take to allow Trad Gang to continue ... because things are that serious right now.

Trad Gang's old and antiquated flat file forum software (ubb.classic) was grandfathered more than a decade ago.  It's database software is so ancient that no one writes code for it anymore.  

We need Trad Gang to migrate over to better, more modern forum software that will allow a host of functions we'd only dreamed of for years.

Functions such as hosting the images you put in your threads and posts, so there's no need for a photobucket or imgur or fliker or whatever.  The images would stay on your computer and copies would reside here with us for the life of Trad Gang.  No more lost images in classic threads and posts.  Better registration security to help keep out the scammers and hackers, videos embedded in posts, faster and better internal search engine, better forum software diagnostics to keep the system well and up and running 24x7, user control of custom avatars, better integration with our Trad Gang St Judes Annual Auction, better PM system, image galleries, and lots more.

The cost of the new forum software is nothing.  It's free.

HOWEVER, the conversion from our current flat file forum software (ubb.classic) to more modern relational database forum software (smf) is nearly impossible.  We've/I've tried that conversion over the course of the last 7 years and failed every time.

Recently, that dismal past has changed, and with the assistance of a ubb.classic/ubb.threads tech programming guru we've been able to complete the first of two Trad Gang test migrations.  The second test is underway as I type this post.  Trad Gang is so big and robust that the current conversion has been running non-stop for THREE DAYS.  Yup, Trad Gang is that big.  We expect it should end tomorrow and we expect a success.  

The Trad Gang server is approaching its 7th birthday - most servers have a lifespan of 5 years, so we're living on borrowed time on a machine who's spare parts are no longer manufactured.  We need a new server ASAP, with FAST quad core CPU's, and LOTS more FAST memory and solid state drives - all the goods that will insure excellent Trad Gang functionality, and that will allow both Trad Gang and the St Judes Auction to run in the same domain and not have everyone jumping around to different domains on the Trad Gang server.

Because there is a major software disparity between the current old forum software and the proposed new forum software, both types of software will not run on the same server.  We need to temporarily run TWO servers during the Trad Gang migration conversion.  More expense we'd had no clue to even plan on happening.

Right now, the cost of the conversion development and execution, the new server and memory and its installation, the dual server configuration, all costs some big dollars we just don't have.  We know that it'll be at least $6k to get the new hardware we need to just stay alive, as we are today on the old forum software.  Completing the migration conversion adds on at least another $2k.  As of now, we still haven't gotten an estimate on the cost of a temporary dual server environment for use during the real, live migration conversion.

If you wish to help donate to the Trad Gang Fund for new hardware/software, we absolutely appreciate your help in helping your Trad Gang forum continue to be the best it can be.

ANY amount will help!  THANK YOU!

Trad Gang Forum Fund PayPal CLICK HERE

Checks to...

Tradgang
205 Victory Drive
Calhoun GA 30701
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trad Gang could sure use some help ...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 07:28:00 PM »
Thank you for briefing the community on the dire needs our covetted forum and family.

I will be donating.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 07:30:00 PM »
Wow....thanks Rob.

I have a few bows in the classifieds for sale to try and offset some of the costs of this huge upgrade and will be adding some more soon.  

After 14 years on they same software, pre youtube, pre facebook, pre instagram there is just too much information, too many memories and hunting stories to just let this all fade away.

We are determined to do what ever it takes to get it done.

:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 07:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Wow....thanks Rob.

We are determined to do what ever it takes to get it done.

:campfire:    
You can bank on that Terry!  It may take a few days but the TG family will rise to the occasion!!

Offline longbow fanatic 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the detailed explanation, Rob. I was curious if the renewals that contributing classifieds members pay annually could be used to help defray the cost of these needed upgrades? That seems like a good financial resource, which could be used to assist in those needs too. Please don't take this suggestion in a negative way. I don't mean it that way. I have no idea what where the money goes for the classifieds contributor status, and frankly, it is none of my business. I just noticed there seemed to be a bit of a crossover between the goals given for the classifieds contribution in the need to help TG keep the classifieds, and its members, safe from hackers/scammers as well as the cost of these needed upgrades. Truly, I am not trying to stir the pot. I'm just trying to find out if our contributions for the classifieds could possibly help to achieve this goal while we pay for the use of the classifieds section?

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 07:52:00 PM »
Appreciate the update I will be donating - Good Luck Tradgang- I hope we come out through this in good shape and thriving!
<><
<-------------------<<<<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Matt Quick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 07:57:00 PM »
Count me in.  I'll make a donation as well.
Thanks for all you do Rob and Terry!

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 08:21:00 PM »
Anyone ever thought of starting a tradgang Facebook page?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 08:37:00 PM »
See my ad in 2017 trad bows for sale.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
done
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 08:41:00 PM »
As many member as we have here it wouldn't take much from each one to reach the goal in no time.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Online Buckeye1977

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 08:50:00 PM »
All the help and information that I've received from everyone on this site is amazing and it would be the least I could do to make a donation! This is an amazing place and would hate to see it go! Thanks Terry and Rob and everyone else involved in making Tradgang what it is!
Nick

PBS Associate member
JD Berry Viper 62” 50@28

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 08:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Mecredy:
As many member as we have here it wouldn't take much from each one to reach the goal in no time.
In reality, if just 25% of the current registered membership gave just one dollar, the donations would exceed the need by $3500.

Come on folks...lets do this thing right!    :archer:

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »
I'm not a contributing member but if becoming one will help then I'll do it.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
well this must be Karma ... I just sold two bow, I have not listed a bow in a long time. I would be pleased and honored to send some of that to TG for this upgrade.

keep up the great tradition and ethics of TradGang !
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 09:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by McDave:
See my ad in 2017 trad bows for sale.
Pics posted Dave....Awesome bow and selfless donation.        :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2017, 10:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by elkken:
well this must be Karma ... I just sold two bows, I have not listed a bow in a long time. I would be pleased and honored to send some of that to TG for this upgrade.

keep up the great tradition and ethics of TradGang !
Karma or otherwise...PERFECT timing Ken!      :archer:

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2017, 10:03:00 PM »
Rob,
Could you give an address to send a check.
Thanks, Todd
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline rich k

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2017, 10:08:00 PM »
Rob
Will you be setting up a specific fund for donations? I will be glad to send a few $ if you tell us where to donate.
Rich k
"Aim at squirrel - miss squirrel. Aim at squirrel's eye - hit squirrel's head"  Native American expression.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2017, 10:14:00 PM »
I can dig through the closet and find something to post for sell for the funds.  Any chance we could set up a TradGang benefit subforum in the classifieds?
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©